LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

Did Eric Davis ruin Ted Robinson's TD Call on 'The Catch III" ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Did Eric Davis ruin Ted Robinson's TD Call on 'The Catch III" ?

No, the guy who said Larry Grant's forced fumble against the Seahawks was The Catch 3 ruined it

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/161582-larry-grants-forced-fumble-catch/
[ Edited by JerryRice1848 on Jan 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Shanhi88:
Hell no!! LOVED Eric Davis' emotion!!

Still gives me chills!!!!

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I just dont get all the hype for "The Catch II and III." It really was an increadible moment, but if you dont win the Superbowl it's kind of a flop for me. Think about what the Patriots did. They won every game in the regular season and actually just as much or not more than the 72 Dolphins, but they didn't win it all an now no one remembers it as be that significant.

What the patriots did doesn't even remotely compare to this, because they were on a mission to have the greatest season ever. For us, it's about the niners becoming the niners again, and with the same players who have been through hell this last decade. For them and the true fans that have watched every game since 2004, it was such an elation. If you still don't get it, then I don't know what to say to you.

We arent those niners yet. I value TOs catch but i think its dumb to call it the catch to considerig the reference and meaning of the Catch and how it is linked to a dynasty of superbowls.

Winning is what the niners of old are about, and this last game put these guys in 49ers' lore. If you don't like putting T.O's Catch on the same level as Clark's, that's a personal thing, but it is what that play is called. It's pretty apparent at this point, "Catches" are a 49ers playoff staple, and to me, I think it's dumb to devalue any of these moments due to naming.

If we don't win the superbowl, "Catches" will just mean we get nice catches and that's it. The Catch has an entirely different meaning than what TO did. Vernon's catch may take us into a dynasty once again and if we win the Superbowl, then it is on the level of The Catch I.

I am actually disappointed in Niners fans wanting to claim TO's Catch is an important moment in Niners lore. We lost the following week and it was the end of a Dynasty. Vernon's catch has a better chance of being the Catch 2 than TO's catch.

Get out of my head......

Honestly, I don't even like using "The Catch" for anything else aside from Dwight Clark's catch. I think the play to win the game vs the Saints should be attributed more to Alex Smith or that personnel on that team struggling for many years and having gone through criticism and all. It just wasn't a very creative label.

TO and "The Catch 2" is like saying Deon was one of the greatest 49ers ever.

To me, every time someone says The Catch 3, I say, oh you mean Alex's resurrection or something like that. I never say The Catch 2 and only mention it as, "...remember TO's catch vs the Giants..."

That's just me.

Even Harbaugh after the game said it should be name "The Throw." However, the catch was pretty impressive too. I literally almost cried in the stadium and it may the best day of my life when it comes to sports. Being in my early 30s, I missed out on some of the Niners glory years.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Eric's only mistakes (remember this is his 1st year as a color commentator):

- setting himself up for a potential noob moment with his "he's got it! he's got it!" call (what if Alex's pass to VD had fallen incomplete or worse?)
- yelling "whoo-hoo!" over Ted while he was finishing his call

anyone who's heard the recent promos on KNBR that's highlighted the radio calls of all 3 "The Catch"es (Lon Simmons, Joe Starkey, and Ted Robinson/Eric Davis) will see the latter's weakness in having two guys yelling over each other....but hey, it was spontaneous and I'll allow that Eric's enthusiasm for the moment may grow on me with time

I don't believe Lon Simmons made the original "Catch" call. Can't remember the guys name, but I don't think it was Simmons.

ur right...they either used the radio clip of Don Klein (local broadcast on KSFO) or Jack Buck (national broadcast on CBS radio), probably the former....Simmons stopped doing Niner games in 1980
I just dont get all the hype for "The Catch II and III." It really was an increadible moment, but if you dont win the Superbowl it's kind of a flop for me. Think about what the Patriots did. They won every game in the regular season and actually just as much or not more than the 72 Dolphins, but they didn't win it all an now no one remembers it as be that significant.

What the patriots did doesn't even remotely compare to this, because they were on a mission to have the greatest season ever. For us, it's about the niners becoming the niners again, and with the same players who have been through hell this last decade. For them and the true fans that have watched every game since 2004, it was such an elation. If you still don't get it, then I don't know what to say to you.

We arent those niners yet. I value TOs catch but i think its dumb to call it the catch to considerig the reference and meaning of the Catch and how it is linked to a dynasty of superbowls.

Winning is what the niners of old are about, and this last game put these guys in 49ers' lore. If you don't like putting T.O's Catch on the same level as Clark's, that's a personal thing, but it is what that play is called. It's pretty apparent at this point, "Catches" are a 49ers playoff staple, and to me, I think it's dumb to devalue any of these moments due to naming.

If we don't win the superbowl, "Catches" will just mean we get nice catches and that's it. The Catch has an entirely different meaning than what TO did. Vernon's catch may take us into a dynasty once again and if we win the Superbowl, then it is on the level of The Catch I.

I am actually disappointed in Niners fans wanting to claim TO's Catch is an important moment in Niners lore. We lost the following week and it was the end of a Dynasty. Vernon's catch has a better chance of being the Catch 2 than TO's catch.

And why is it so bad that T.O's catch had a different meaning? It's just a name, and it doesn't devalue Clark's in the slightest. When you say "Catch" you think of that one, and when you say "Catch II" or "Catch III" you think of the other ones. I think it's much stupider to say that the Catch II isn't important in 49ers lore, when it's been already established as such. All 3 define different eras of 49ers history, and each provided unforgettable moments in NFL history.

Honestly, I don't even like using "The Catch" for anything else aside from Dwight Clark's catch. I think the play to win the game vs the Saints should be attributed more to Alex Smith or that personnel on that team struggling for many years and having gone through criticism and all. It just wasn't a very creative label.

To me, every time someone says The Catch 3, I say, oh you mean Alex's resurrection or something like that. I never say The Catch 2 and only mention it as, "...remember TO's catch vs the Giants..."

That's just me.

The way I see it, calling Alex's play "The Catch III" is saying redemption. Just by calling it a "Catch," it's like saying he belongs now.

I just don't see the big deal with the names, because we all know "The Catch" will always be on a pedestal regardless how fans feel.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Naaa...I loved it. LOVED IT!!!!

THIS THIS THIS
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
ED reacted like most of us did. love it.

That's just me.

Even Harbaugh after the game said it should be name "The Throw." However, the catch was pretty impressive too. I literally almost cried in the stadium and it may the best day of my life when it comes to sports. Being in my early 30s, I missed out on some of the Niners glory years.

Personally, I think it should be called "The Play."

That play was not necessary. That play showed trust in Alex. That play sealed the deal of 4 crazy drives full of amazing plays but that play was The Play.
It is, simply, the "Vernon Post."

Sets it apart from all other great plays and gives it ownership. I like it. Everyone else shaddup already.

Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
It is, simply, the "Vernon Post."

Sets it apart from all other great plays and gives it ownership. I like it. Everyone else shaddup already.

This.

OMG. Fkin chills up and down my spine. Already one of my favorite all-time videos.
loved that energy. hell naw he didnt
HELL NO!! That was awesome!!
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Hopefully, ED will refrain from giggling and squealing like a 10 year-old girl on future historic radio playcalls. I wish someone could find a way to edit him out of the call. I don't mind him saying "Got it....Got it!" (actually thought it was cool), but squealing like a girl on a historic playcall is pathetic. You've got to have more decorum than that. Spontaneous emotion is great, but you don't need to make a total ass out of yourself like ED did. Very amateurish move.

Dude HIS team just made one of the most inspiring comebacks in the history of the entire NFL and you are gonna fault him because he feels so attached to the team again that his emotions got the better of him? That guy is a Niner at heart and probably had no more control of his emotions than any of the rest of us with the red and gold pumping through our veins. Hell I am one of the most laid back and reserved people that you would ever meet and I went nuts, I yelled YES! so loud my neighbor heard it through the walls of both of our houses, and our houses were built in 1920 so they have really thick walls.
Share 49ersWebzone