There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

This has to be one of the best defenses we have ever had.

I'd say we're a very good defense that can be great. Obviously great against the run, but right now better than average against the pass. A little bit too many yards for my liking.
We didn't have a pass rusher that put 3 seconds on the QB to throw, but Aldon looks like he'll fill that role for the playoffs.
And this defense is playing this way without a training camp under its belt.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
2011 > 1984.

Not even s**tting.
Umm, NO!
Fred Dean is better than any pass rusher on the 2011 D. Board was also a very good pass rusher. Johsnon and Tui are better than Sopoaga at NT.
Lott, Wright, Hicks and Williamson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rogers, Brown, Goldson and Whitmore
2011 ILBs >>>> 1984 ILBs
But, the underrated Turner is better at OLB than Brooks
1984 D was as underrated as they were great.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
2011 > 1984.

Not even s**tting.
Umm, NO!
Fred Dean is better than any pass rusher on the 2011 D. Board was also a very good pass rusher. Johsnon and Tui are better than Sopoaga at NT.
Lott, Wright, Hicks and Williamson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rogers, Brown, Goldson and Whitmore
2011 ILBs >>>> 1984 ILBs
He doesn't know what he is talking about. Not only we had four of the best DBs, we had some of the best D lines ever. Michael Carter, Jeff Stover, Fred Dean, manu Tuiasosopo, Jim Stucky and the list goes on. Jeff Fuller was a reserve, imagine that.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
2011 > 1984.

Not even s**tting.
Umm, NO!
2011 ILBs >>>> 1984 ILBs

Have you not seen Aldon play? He has 13 sacks and is very limited. He only plays on 'passing' downs. I dare to say Aldon is better than Dean ever was. But this is only Aldon's rookie season...
Originally posted by 190836:
He doesn't know what he is talking about. Not only we had four of the best DBs, we had some of the best D lines ever. Michael Carter, Jeff Stover, Fred Dean, manu Tuiasosopo, Jim Stucky and the list goes on. Jeff Fuller was a reserve, imagine that.

And this 2011 defense isn't underrated? We sure as hell wouldn't be 11-3 without them, that's for sure.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

And this 2011 defense isn't underrated? We sure as hell wouldn't be 11-3 without them, that's for sure.
Don't get me wrong, we have a great D, but its nowhere near what 84 team was. BTW, i forgot to mention gary big hand Johnson and Dawine Board on that list.

Don't get me wrong, we have a great D, but its nowhere near what 84 team was. BTW, i forgot to mention gary big hand Johnson and Dawine Board on that list.

I'm not trying to take away from the '84 defense. I was born in '88, but I know the Niners' history pretty well, but that '84 Niners team had an Offense to go with the Defense. What about this '11 team? This offense is sub-par. The defense makes them look above average. They're a special group, and I think they are better than the '84 team. (To note, the special teams has helped on the defense a lot in favorable situations though. This might be a great post in itself though, '11 Defense vs. '84 Defense. I would love to see arguments from both sides.)

I'm not trying to take away from the '84 defense. I was born in '88, but I know the Niners' history pretty well, but that '84 Niners team had an Offense to go with the Defense. What about this '11 team? This offense is sub-par. The defense makes them look above average. They're a special group, and I think they are better than the '84 team. (To note, the special teams has helped on the defense a lot in favorable situations though. This might be a great post in itself though, '11 Defense vs. '84 Defense. I would love to see arguments from both sides.)

Don't forget 87-88-89.

But this is also one of the best STs I have seen us play.
There are some statistics to support an argument that this is the best rushing D of all time (any team).
[ Edited by mug0mug on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Don't forget 87-88-89.

But this is also one of the best STs I have seen us play.

This special teams group is amazing. If I'm not mistaken, we have the best average starting position and the best opponent average starting position in the league. Special Teams isn't the only thing that takes part in this (TOs are a major part as well), but we're playing damn good football on 2 phases, and decent football on one phase. All three phases combined, this team is dynamic. This special team's unit is simply astounding and are not getting the praise they deserve. Let's hope that Ginn will be ready, at least, for the playoffs.
One of the best defenses ever!
In fantasy, I picked'em up out of free agency (week 4 I think) after drafting the Bears.
greatest ever i dont know but definitely one of the many great niner defenses of all time. against the run they are the best ever. against the pass they are pretty good but give up way too many yards to be considered the best. 94 had a pretty damn good defense as well as 84 and a few other years. aldon playing full time is gonna be ridiculous! strahans record is definitely gonna be in jeopardy.
This very well could be the best defense we've ever had. I believe this because we are in era where the rules have tipped in the offense's favor and what this defense has been able to do is just amazing.
This may be THE BEST DEFENSE the 49ers ever had. No joke. Not kidding.