There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Make no mistake about it, Fangio was thoroughly out-coached

Really? What NFL and/or college team did you play for or coached at? Unless you were in the meeting room or on the practice field, reserve your ignorant chant to the inflatable doll you call your girlfriend. Our offensively were outplayed and our secondary were overmatched. But to blame it on the coach, please!
People kept wanting Fangio to blitz but those fast receiver are very capable of burning us badly with the big play deep. I think the defense did well to keep it repeatable on the score board.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
People kept wanting Fangio to blitz but those fast receiver are very capable of burning us badly with the big play deep. I think the defense did well to keep it repeatable on the score board.

The players did well to hold up but once again, seeing Flacco sit there, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait was frustrating. I have family members who never watch football who wondered why the 49ers were giving "the Baltimore guy" so much time to pick out his targets. This team won't get far without consistently being able to pressure the opposing quarterback, that is the biggest difference between the 49ers defense and Baltimore's.
Where has D .Walker been the last 2 games ?? am i correct in that he hasn't seen a pass come his way the last 2 games..What has happened that we are no longer spreading the ball around on the O..???
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Joe Flacco was 15/23 for 161 yards and 1 TD. I would be happy with those numbers every week. The 49ers lost for 2 reasons - the OL and Alex Smith.

OL was obviously a problem when a 3 or 4 man rush is putting huge pressure/sacks on Alex Smith. Alex Smith also contributed to the problem by holding on to the ball too long. Alex doesn't like to fit the football into tight windows, so when there is good coverage, he ends up throwing the ball away or taking a sack. Still his only INT was on a long pass on one on one coverage. I don't think you can fault him too much there. He battled through the entire game, and his final pass hit Ginn on the numbers (which Ginn dropped).
Passrush was weak but the defence was solid, o-line lost this game along with OC and HC.

Pretty much this. I wanted them to blitz like crazy just to shake up Flacco but the Ravens WRs one on one would be just too good for our secondary.
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Fangio did this in the Dallas game too. Didn't bring enough pressure on Romo. Gotta gamble at some points on 3rd down. Flacco has lead feet - he's an easy target back there that we didn't take advantage of.

If your offensive struggles as much as it did tonight, you have to blitz and try to force a turnover - sack/fumble, INT off pressure, etc.

Speaking da truth!

We played coverage. Forced Flacco to go somewhere else other than deep. Get him to go to his second and 3rd read to give our guys upfront time to get to him. Tried to blitz him and he has a zinger of an arm to beat you with those fast receivers. Fangio and his defense gave up 16 points.

16 points , when our average points per game is at 15. How is this that out coached by Fangio. There ain't no truth in that post . Far from it.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:36 PM ]
Originally posted by calinig4life:
The offense didn't help but no sacks, barely n-e pressure, & not calling plays to get flacco & co off da field to me is bad. Jus like they made our offense look bad, we should have made theirs look bad but we didn't & they picked us apart kinda.

Our defense got them off the field plenty of times. Unfortunately the offense couldn't do anything with the opportunities. They picked our d apart on that td drive but that was it. That's gonna happen sometimes as no team gets shutouts every week. We just have to be able to answer on offense and we mustered a measly 6 points. It's a huge understatement to say our offense didn't help.
We played coverage. Forced Flacco to go somewhere else other than deep. Get him to go to his second and 3rd read to give our guys upfront time to get to him. Tried to blitz him and he has a zinger of an arm to beat you with those fast receivers. Fangio and his defense gave up 16 points.

16 points , when our average points per game is at 15. How is this that out coached by Fangio. There ain't no truth in that post . Far from it.
Still amazed at how many people are missing the point.

How many points did Pagano and his defense give up? Who would you say had a better defensive gameplan? Which defense made more plays and which defensive coordinator put them in a better position to make plays and be aggressive????
We didn't get any sacks but still held them to 253 yards. Considering the inept performance of our offense (170 yards), I'd say the defense did a good job.

This loss is 100% on the offensive line. This was the "short end of the straw" Harbaugh was talking about leading up to this game. The most complex part of gameplanning during the week is pass protection. In addition to the short week, they had to travel cross country which lessened their practice time even more. The o-line should feel ashamed for their performance today, but my opinion about this team hasn't changed. This is a good, well-coached football team.

Ravens have a great D, no doubt. But that penalty on Ginn's TD was a killer. The entire complexion of this game could have changed if not for that b******t call. It was a 1-possession game for virtually the entire game. I thought the team fought hard given the circumstances. If the Ravens came here to SF on a short week, I think we beat these guys.

Despite all this, the game came down to 1 or 2 plays. We had a lot going against us before the game was even played. Just an odd set of circumstances having to be the 1st team in NFL history to travel cross-country on a short week, just so the NFL can have their Har-bowl. I'm trying not to make excuses, but I can't help it. Just a frustrating loss...this team is better than that.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:42 PM ]
The defense played OK, but what killed them was their 3rd down defense. I don't think they stopped them once in the 4th qtr on 3rd down.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Still amazed at how many people are missing the point.

How many points did Pagano and his defense give up? Who would you say had a better defensive gameplan? Which defense made more plays and which defensive coordinator put them in a better position to make plays and be aggressive????

I don't think I'm missing the point as you said. Our offense wasn't as good. The offensive line had trouble block 4-3 guys rushing. And look at the receivers we have .. are any of them has the speed compare to the Ravens on the outside. Fangio defense the make up of the Ravens to the best of our guys' ability. Then let the players play the game. If he would have blitz a bunch the score would be more than 16 points. His game plan kept us in the game.
Originally posted by dwy621:
The defense played OK, but what killed them was their 3rd down defense. I don't think they stopped them once in the 4th qtr on 3rd down.

Ravens were 7/15 on third down. That's good, but they didn't kill us in that department. They got 3-4 big conversions in 1 drive, I think it was their TD drive. Still, limiting them to 16 points and 253 total yards is more than good enough to win this game on the road. The offense didn't show up.
Originally posted by dwy621:
According to some of the responses in this thread, you're a hater for pointing out that the team failed on stopping the Ravens on 3rd down. They got zero sacks and very little pressure on Flacco but its cool, the guy calling the plays had nothing to do with it. God forbid they could do more to attack a guy who is basically a very average quarterback who struggles under pressure.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:50 PM ]