There are 192 users in the forums

Make no mistake about it, Fangio was thoroughly out-coached

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Ravens were 7/15 on third down. That's good, but they didn't kill us in that department. They got 3-4 big conversions in 1 drive, I think it was their TD drive. Still, limiting them to 16 points and 253 total yards is more than good enough to win this game on the road. The offense didn't show up.

You're not accounting for them burning time off the clock after they were up by 10. They were 7/12 at the time they scored their touchdown. 49ers were 2/10....that's pathetic.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Fangio did this in the Dallas game too. Didn't bring enough pressure on Romo. Gotta gamble at some points on 3rd down. Flacco has lead feet - he's an easy target back there that we didn't take advantage of.

If your offensive struggles as much as it did tonight, you have to blitz and try to force a turnover - sack/fumble, INT off pressure, etc.

Speaking da truth!

We played coverage. Forced Flacco to go somewhere else other than deep. Get him to go to his second and 3rd read to give our guys upfront time to get to him. Tried to blitz him and he has a zinger of an arm to beat you with those fast receivers. Fangio and his defense gave up 16 points.

16 points , when our average points per game is at 15. How is this that out coached by Fangio. There ain't no truth in that post . Far from it.

What I am saying is that when you see that you're offensive has no shot to score a TD when they are facing a stiff passrush and field position from their own 20, you have to force the issue more. You have to find a way to manufacture a turnover. Beg, borrow, steal points away from them. It was clear that our O was NOT going 80 yards for a tying TD.

You have to force the issue and make a play, and at worst flip field position.
[ Edited by Schulzy on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM ]
I thought we were touted as the #1 defense in points allowed. Suddenly it's not good enough anymore but yards allowed and 3rd down conversions. WTF!
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 24, 2011 at 10:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by dwy621:
The defense played OK, but what killed them was their 3rd down defense. I don't think they stopped them once in the 4th qtr on 3rd down.
According to some of the responses in this thread, you're a hater for pointing out that the team failed on stopping the Ravens on 3rd down. They got zero sacks and very little pressure on Flacco but its cool, the guy calling the plays had nothing to do with it. God forbid they could do more to attack a guy who is basically a very average quarterback who struggles under pressure.

And yet we still only gave up 16 points.
What I am saying is that when you see that you're offensive has no shot to score a TD when they are facing a stiff passrush and field position from their own 20, you have to force the issue more. You have to find a way to manufacture a turnover. Beg, borrow, steal points away from them. It was clear that our O was NOT going 80 yards for a tying TD.

No, you don't' force the issue because defense don't play offense. You just have to keep the score low to give the offense a chance to turn it around. I understand what you are saying but no coach would want to gamble and make it worse on an offense that's already struggling. Fangio kept us in it with 1 scores down late in the fourth. His game plan was sound. His players missed a little on the execution and tackles. I don't blame the defense at all.
We definitely didn't get good pressure today compared to weeks past. Need to rotate DL more. Dobbs showed a lot in the preseason, let's see more from him (He did see snaps today). Keep one of Smith/McDonald out there at all times, but not constantly.

A few blitzes would have been nice, but I'm not the biggest fan of blitzing when you don't have to, I like timely blitzes. MORE ALDON SMITH PLEASE! He didn't see enough snaps today (or any game outside of maybe Detroit) and he was pretty effective when he was in.
It's not like Flacco lit us up or anything. We should be able to win with the defensive performance from today.

However, I agree that the team needed to switch something up to try and create a big play to bail out the offense or create a spark.

Hate that we lost, but I hope that we learn from it, make some adjustments, and move on to the next game.

Also, I realize how painful a loss is to us, but let's not be the NinerTalk of old and turn on each other. Vent, get your frustrations out, and then realize that we are still 9-2(a real 9-2, not an NFC West 9-2), have the second best record in the entire league, and how far we have come since last year.

Happy Thanksgiving, Niner Faithful.
I thought the D played very good but not great D tonight. Good enough to win a game like this.

Could not get off the field on 3rd down but wasn't always a bad play call. Witner missed a tackle on 1 big 3rd down in the 2nd half.

Got no pressure with front 4 and so whay not blitz? I think we gotta get a little more creative with the pressure packages heading into the playoffs.

No turnovers.

Played and hit hard, espically on a very short week and traveling all the way to the East coast.
  • Veteran
Our D held them to 16 points tonight, not to say we had a short week and flew all the way to the east coast. This was all on the OL, pure and simple. Fangio knows his players better than anyone, for us fans to claim he was out coached is stupid.
Originally posted by 190836:
Our D held them to 16 points tonight, not to say we had a short week and flew all the way to the east coast. This was all on the OL, pure and simple. Fangio knows his players better than anyone, for us fans to claim he was out coached is stupid.

So you're saying that Fangio had a better defensive gameplan than Pagano, yes?

Originally posted by qnnhan7:

No, you don't' force the issue because defense don't play offense. You just have to keep the score low to give the offense a chance to turn it around. I understand what you are saying but no coach would want to gamble and make it worse on an offense that's already struggling. Fangio kept us in it with 1 scores down late in the fourth. His game plan was sound. His players missed a little on the execution and tackles. I don't blame the defense at all.

Then we simply have a difference in philosophy then. I for one, did not believe for one second that we were going to score with a long field. So sitting back makes no sense. If we get burned, we get burned. We lose anyway.
Going with the same vanilla 4 man rush with Flacco having ridiculous amounts of time to pass the ball while Pagano was mixing up timely blitzes and keeping consistent pressure in the face of Alex Smith all game long. 49ers talent was under-utilized while Pagano maxed out what he had and made the Ravens look stellar, even without Ray Lewis in the lineup.

PassingCP/ATYDSTDINTJ. Flacco15/23161 1 0 RushingATTYDSTDLGR. Rice21 59 010R. Williams7 29 012J. Leach1 2 0 ReceivingRECYDSTDLGA. Boldin4 63 022R. Rice3 24 017T. Smith2 23 012D. Pitta2 19 1 11E. Dickson1 15 015V. Leach1 10 010L. Evans1 8 08 R. Williams1-10-1. What i want to know is how the heck do you think this is getting out coached. We did not blitz because of T.Smith 2 catches for 23 yds, it was our offensive line (Snyder out after second series of the game) that killed us, our defense played well well well enough to win.

Going with the same vanilla 4 man rush with Flacco having ridiculous amounts of time to pass the ball while Pagano was mixing up timely blitzes and keeping consistent pressure in the face of Alex Smith all game long. 49ers talent was under-utilized while Pagano maxed out what he had and made the Ravens look stellar, even without Ray Lewis in the lineup.
  • Veteran

If we could have scored more than 16 points you wouldn't be making the statement you just made. This was all on the OL.

He had a different game plan for the Ravens' offense. Its a good, sound game plan. Not better just different with different personnel of offense. Fangio was given the Ravens offense. Pagano was given our offensive personnel.
I never understood the logic of running on 3-18
Share 49ersWebzone