LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Make no mistake about it, Fangio was thoroughly out-coached

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Fangio had nothing to do with the jail break that occurred every time we snapped the ball on offense. If it weren't from that lame inference call on Brown's pick, the ravens wouldn't have even gotten the 16 points our defense gave them. Fangio is the last person to blame here.
Originally posted by Apone:
Yes he was definitely thoroughly out coached. That's why the game was tied going to the 4th. Not to mention, barely 2 days of practice and traveling 3 time zones, which hadn't been done since 1975 had nothing to do with anything.

Pagano's defense=frequent blitzes, 9 sacks, and intense pressure in the quarterbacks face all the time.

Fangio's defense=Watch Flacco sit back in the pocket for 5 or 6 seconds, take his time picking the defense apart and moving the ball up the field, zero sacks for the day and basically zero blitzes utilized.

Call it whatever you want, Pagano had a much better gameplan than Fangio did.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Fangio had nothing to do with the jail break that occurred every time we snapped the ball on offense. If it weren't from that lame inference call on Brown's pick, the ravens wouldn't have even gotten the 16 points our defense gave them. Fangio is the last person to blame here.

Ask yourself this, why is it Baltimore could cause all sorts of mayhem and attack the 49ers offense while Flacco was hardly touched and had all day to pass against the 49ers defense?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Sman:
stupid.....they allowed 16 points!!!! in a short week!! This was on the O, and #11....and #62

really!? on #11 how can you pass the F@!king ball with 9 sacks allowed and 12 hurries 10 nock downs give me a break!
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Perhaps you didn't see the oline play?

Not surprisng because they were virtually invisible anyway.
If he did his job better we could have given up less than 253 yards in total offense and won 6-3 . . .
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:09 PM ]
was there a single blitz?
Yea it was just to vanilla. Not saying they need to go blitz crazy, but at some point you have to show the offense something different. Flacco is known to crumble under pressure yet the defense brought 0 pressure. I understand the defense has been successful all year by only rushing 3 or 4 and playing coverage behind it but it wasn't working this game and I saw 0 adjustments. The sky isn't falling, but going forward you would like to see the play calling adjust to the game.
[ Edited by lamontb on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:17 PM ]
To clarify, this thread is comparing and contrasting the type of defense that Baltimore's defensive coordinator called vs the vanilla defense that Fangio called. With the amount of time that Flacco had to sit back in the pocket, had it been another quarterback such as Rogers, the 49ers wouldn't be giving up 9, 10, 11 yard completions but 20-30 yard completions, just a very lackadaisical defense that put little pressure on Flacco.
I don't agree that Fangio was outcoached. The defense held together throughout the game. We only gave up 16 points.....

Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea it was just to vanilla. Not saying they need to go blitz crazy, but at some point you have to show the offense something different. Flacco is known to crumble under pressure yet the defense brought 0 pressure. I understand the defense has been successful all year by only rushing 3 or 4 and playing coverage behind it but it was working this game and I saw 0 adjustments. The sky isn't falling, but going forward you would like to see the play calling adjust to the game.

Had to keep it vanilla. Short week with one less day to practice than Baltimore due to a day of traveling.
  • Sman
whoever thinks this loss was on Fangio....doesn't know a thing....no offence!
[ Edited by Sman on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:10 PM ]
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
If he did his job better we could have won 6-3 . . .

If he did his job the Niners would be 11-0....
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea it was just to vanilla. Not saying they need to go blitz crazy, but at some point you have to show the offense something different. Flacco is known to crumble under pressure yet the defense brought 0 pressure. I understand the defense has been successful all year by only rushing 3 or 4 and playing coverage behind it but it was working this game and I saw 0 adjustments. The sky isn't falling, but going forward you would like to see the play calling adjust to the game.

This.

I'm not saying the sky is falling, I'm saying the gameplan was s**t and I think it could have used some more versatility. How many countless third down's can you give up to Joe Flacco, over and over again. They were over 60% conversion rate on third down at one point before they started running the clock out. That's inexcusable, regardless of what the O-Line or whoever else is doing.
BS. VF wasn't out coached at all. I refuse to blame this on the coaches or players (I will give you B. Edwards). This team has played teams with stellar defences and good pass rushers. WE JUST WERE A TIRED BUNCH ON A SHORT WEEK!!! We just lost a game set-up for us to loose. Why can't people see that
Share 49ersWebzone