LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 432 users in the forums

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

4 days ago I posted a nearby thread "the acquisition that wasn't" . It was interesting reading this thread, the bulk of which had already been discussed and written.

Peyton wanted to chat with 9ers, maybe even wanted to know where Coach H thot he would fit best.

There was an exchg of information

The numbers didn't match up, ie Peyton wasn't willing to get $8mil/yr for 3 yrs for a shot at another ring...and 49ers and Baalke weren't willing to destroy their well machined cap which would have not allowed us to keep our D, add to our D, add to our OL, add WRs and a 3rd down scatback at 2nd pick.

Peyton wanted control and Harbaugh wasn't about to give it.

Now that is the end of the story.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
4 days ago I posted a nearby thread "the acquisition that wasn't" . It was interesting reading this thread, the bulk of which had already been discussed and written.

Peyton wanted to chat with 9ers, maybe even wanted to know where Coach H thot he would fit best.

The numbers didn't match up, ie Peyton wasn't willing to get $8mil/yr for 3 yrs for a shot at another ring...and 49ers and Baalke weren't willing to destroy their well machined cap which would have not allowed us to keep our D, add to our D, add to our OL, add WRs and a 3rd down scatback at 2nd pick.

maybe harbs is holding a grudge yet because Peyton replaced him in Indy?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

I think it's time for another thread to talk about this topic
I don't think teams "evaluate" known veteran star players like this without some desire to have them. But I think Harbaugh is being truthful that he is annoyed it is made into a big soap opera through the media, as if they are desperately chasing him.

Personally, I think it is a breath of fresh air to see them take a look at players like Manning & seriously think about if that would work for them as an upgrade. Just seeing them out there & active in free agency is a good sign compared to being totally stale & rotting from the inside out just a few years ago.
i have a question for anyone

apart from that one meeting where tehy saw manning throw (EVAULATED HIM!)

was there any other meeting or evidence of 49ers perusing peyton manning?
Harbaugh and Baalke were interested in Peyton...and why shouldn't they be. But, the BL is Denver had the cap space, tons of it. For the Niners or Titans to have signed him would've meant cutting some players they like. Not sure what Tenn's cap situation is, but the Broncos' roster isn't exactly laced with a lot of high-priced vets. They could absorb Peyton's huge cap impact. Now, whether the Niners pursued Peyton or not, I could really care less. He's in Denver...for who knows how long. He could still be one big hit away from potentially ending his career. That and his pricetag weren't in the Niner's ballpark. Personally, I think Coach should've just well enough alone, but he felt he needed to try and clear things up. He's satisfied, Alex is satisfied, so it really doesn't matter what we or anyone else thinks. Time to press on and get our offense to the next level, which I believe we'll see this season.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Says you.

Harbaugh said they were never going to use 1/6th of the salary cap on one guy. Of course they wanted it on the downlow...they want EVERYTHING on the downlow. Who knew they were gonna draft Aldon Smith or AJ Jenkins in the first round?

This entire story is manufactured.

Did they have interest in Manning? Of course. Were they "chasing" him? No. IMO, they were never gonna give him that kind of money and thats a big reason he's in Denver. I also think it was MANNING who facilitated the talks.

Was it more than just checking the guy out? Yes. Was it a mad rush to try and get him? No. Did they think they were in it till the end? Yes. They had a chance at an all time great. The kicked the tires because it was prudent. They made an attempt but I don't think they EVER were gonna give up what Denver did.

That is why I said they were going to pay something close.

Look, this is why it is called spinning, its an generic statement that the masses consume. But critical thinkers like me refuse to accept such weak generalizations.

Don't tell us what you were never going to pay him. Tell us what you were going to pay him.

Since he did not tell us that, I have to use my brain and it figure it out on my own. My brain tells me ball park negotiations are handled on the phone and very early in the process. If they can't meet in the same neighborhood they end the call and this kicking the tires trip never even happens.

So I conclude that they must have at least been close to the bottom of what Peyton would even consider. Now I have to guess. And my guess is Peyton was willing to go lower for the Niners but not much lower, maybe 15 mill for 2012, 85-90 total???

Bottom line is Harbaugh is impressing everyone on how shrewd he and Harbaalke is by only telling us how much they wouldn't pay while misdirecting everyone on how much they were willing to pay.

Can I walk into a luxury car dealership and come out with no car and impress you with how shrewd I am because I refused to pay 100K? Next go talk to the dealer and come to find out I offered 99K but they refused.

I look a little less shrewd with that information don't I?
This shouldn't be breaking news. We knew the Niners couldn't afford to pay Manning $20 million annually. I'm sure the Niners sales pitch to Manning was to take less money, and join a team that would be the hands down favorite to win the Super Bowl. Manning chose the money, in addition to having complete control of Denver's offense.
[ Edited by SofaKing on May 31, 2012 at 4:32 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Man ya'll some gullible ass fools if you believe Harbaugh saying they wasn't interested.
A head coach flying accross country to watch an exclusive player work out sounds like pursuit to me.

If he wanted a "simple evaluation" he would send a scout.

But we all know Peyton wouldn't take a scout seriously as that is merely an evaulator.

Now, when the big cheese shows up, thats pursuit...

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
A head coach flying accross country to watch an exclusive player work out sounds like pursuit to me.

If he wanted a "simple evaluation" he would send a scout.

But we all know Peyton wouldn't take a scout seriously as that is merely an evaulator.

Now, when the big cheese shows up, thats pursuit...

Yup and the big cheese watched from a parked car so he wouldn't get recognized.
isn't evaluating part of the pursuing process??

IMO.... we'd be stupid for NOT pursuing Peyton Manning.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i have a question for anyone

apart from that one meeting where tehy saw manning throw (EVAULATED HIM!)

was there any other meeting or evidence of 49ers perusing peyton manning?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
isn't evaluating part of the pursuing process??

IMO.... we'd be stupid for NOT pursuing Peyton Manning.

Exactly, especially when you have mediocre QB like Smith you gotta look at every chance to upgrade. I could understand the Pakers, NE, Saints not being interested.
Originally posted by susweel:
Man ya'll some gullible ass fools if you believe Harbaugh saying they wasn't interested.

... but again and seriously, who should really care???

I can see all of the detractors trying so hard to point to possible Manning-pursuit as if this were proof that Alex is teh suxxorz. Really? He's Peyton Manning! One of the greatest QBs ever to play!

Oh no... you mean a healthy Manning is > than Smith? No way, really?
Share 49ersWebzone