LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Originally posted by DJD:
Money is the bottom line on this one... As coach said, there is no way the Niners would have dedicated that large a chunk of their salary cap to one player. Would they have WANTED Payton in the red and gold, no question. But through the evaluation process it was clear that Manning expected to break the bank, and it seems to me that was the extent of the flirtation.

There wasn't an auction for Manning !!!
Watch career ending injury to Peyton before week 3 and he then retires and runs off laughing with Elway's 18 million.
Like they just said on the wheelhouse on 95.7.....

When you "evaluate" something, you sit back and wait/watch.

When you "pursue" something, you go out and get it.

Did our guys jump on a plane, orchestrate a physical and watch a private workout? Or did we sit back and wait to see what happened?

What we did sounds more like pursuit than evaluation.
Jim is not here to be our moral center. Jim is here to win us Super Bowl rings. I don't care what he does or says so as long as we get those rings. The ends justify the means.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Did our guys jump on a plane, orchestrate a physical and watch a private workout? Or did we sit back and wait to see what happened?

Good grief. Your definition of evaluation sounds more like a definition of meditation to me.

They wanted to know if he was likely to be a starter again. They could have sat back and wait to see what would happen, then doubtless the zone would have foamed with disapproval. They went and had a look. That isn't pursuit. Could be assessment though.

I think the answer to the main question here is $. I think they believed that by offering him by far the best shot at another Superbowl, they would secure him at a cut down premium rate.

But greed and control conquers all.
You attend a work out -- that's how you 'evaluate' in the NFL. How else are they going to do it with Manning. Not like they have tapes of him in previous games. he sat out the whole last year with injury. People are so caught up with terminology that they lost some common sense.
Originally posted by English:

Good grief. Your definition of evaluation sounds more like a definition of meditation to me.

They wanted to know if he was likely to be a starter again. They could have sat back and wait to see what would happen, then doubtless the zone would have foamed with disapproval. They went and had a look. That isn't pursuit. Could be assessment though.

You disagree with the definitions, fine. I take ZERO offense to that, as I specifically stated they were not my words. You disagree with those ideas, fine.

Answer me this then.....

If it was nothing more than "flirtation" or evaluating, why did Peyton Manning feel the need to call Jim Harbaugh to inform him of his decision to sign with Denver?
I love Jim Harbaugh. No other coach I'd rather have coaching the 49ers.

One thing about Harbaugh though (and I love it), is he doesn't give a crap about his image, he doesn't care to lie to the fans, or the media. You actually think "The Handshake" was just a hard handshake like he said it was? He is going to take up for the guys who battle for him every Sunday. If you don't want to be on his side, he doesn't care about you. I'm sure he went to evaluate Peyton, said, "come wear Red and Gold and you can win as many Super Bowls as you want", left an offer on the table, and that was it.

When Jim played, he wasn't a prima donna. He was a hard worker. He isn't the type of guy who will bow down and kiss someone's feet in hopes they will join his team. You either want to be apart of what he's doing, or you want to get your head bashed in. I think that's how he views it. Could be wrong.

Yeah...gonna call a big fat BS on that one.

The 49ers go to the Combine every year, talk to players they have no intention of drafting, and send scouts to every pro day. Thay aren't pursuing those players. They are evaluating them.

Getting on a plane is the line between evaluating or pursuing. This is all pointless semantics.

Bottom line to me is that I think Manning was interested in SF when they didn't intend to pursue him. They went to see him and liked what they saw. They tried to make it work but never intended to pay what the Broncos did. Manning went to Denver.

End of story.
This thread is ridiculous.

I think we evaluated and persued him. Whats the difference?

I really don't know what to make of this whole "thing" other than the bottom line is that, in spite of kicking the tires on Manning, Harbaugh once again has Alex Smith's back. I think Maiocco said it and I agree, Harbaugh going out of his way to mention the Manning episode was done partially because there's some truth to it, but primarily in response to Beason cracking Smith.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Yeah...gonna call a big fat BS on that one.

The 49ers go to the Combine every year, talk to players they have no intention of drafting, and send scouts to every pro day. Thay aren't pursuing those players. They are evaluating them.

Getting on a plane is the line between evaluating or pursuing. This is all pointless semantics.

Bottom line to me is that I think Manning was interested in SF when they didn't intend to pursue him. They went to see him and liked what they saw. They tried to make it work but never intended to pay what the Broncos did. Manning went to Denver.

End of story.

But they did intend to pay him something close to what Denver paid, and they did understand the PR could possibly have been too much for Alex Smith to handle.

They were willing to risk losing Alex and not gaining Peyton Manning all with one evaluation trip.

End of story
Who cares at this point.
They had a hookers and blow party.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Who cares at this point.

To answer... The people that want to perceive that whole situation as a slap towards Alex care. Those are the people left that want to make something of this.

"Baalke may have tried to upgrade Alex by taking a look at one of the best ever, HOF quarterbacks that was available!!!!! This must mean Alex is teh suxxorz!!!! See? I was right!!! They don't wantz Alex at allz!!!!"

[ Edited by oldman9er on May 31, 2012 at 1:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone