LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Originally posted by lamontb:
He was better off not even commenting on the subject. Props for trying to boosts Smith's confidence but we all know they were doing way more than evaluating. This is just coach talk. .

Exactly what I was thinking. I would rather he not even bring it up. What he said was a little contradictive to me. He finally said they wanted them both.

Ok, I can believe that, but to say the 9ers didn't persue Manning is walking a thin line between the truth and untruth. Either the 9ers wanted Manning or they didn't.

My vote goes to they wanted Peyton and Alex.

I think that was in response to the Panther LB saying that Alex would have been gone if Manning had come to town. So the HC was defending his QB.

As for the rest of it. I can believe that Alex would still have received a low balled offer if Manning had come and that there would have been a legit competition for starting QB..which I believe Manning would have won. I think Alex is a good qb and getting better but Manning will go down in the history books as one of the best ever to play the game. I also believe that while 90 Million might have been the starting offer, the 9ers could have low balled Manning too knowing that they had a SB ready team that didn't "need" Peyton Manning. While, I'm sure the offer would have approached the number...I would be shocked if the Baalke didn't have some kind of bail-out clause or refused to give the kind of guaranteed money that Manning was looking for.
All of this.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
You disagree with the definitions, fine. I take ZERO offense to that, as I specifically stated they were not my words. You disagree with those ideas, fine.

Answer me this then.....

If it was nothing more than "flirtation" or evaluating, why did Peyton Manning feel the need to call Jim Harbaugh to inform him of his decision to sign with Denver?

Class?
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
You disagree with the definitions, fine. I take ZERO offense to that, as I specifically stated they were not my words. You disagree with those ideas, fine.

Answer me this then.....

If it was nothing more than "flirtation" or evaluating, why did Peyton Manning feel the need to call Jim Harbaugh to inform him of his decision to sign with Denver?

Class?

it's called being a man about things
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Not gonna read this thread. We went after Peyton HORD. He decided to not sign with us. Simple as that. Why would we simply evaluate Peyton? Dudes been in the league since 98. You know, if healthy, what you're getting out of him.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Like they just said on the wheelhouse on 95.7.....

When you "evaluate" something, you sit back and wait/watch.

When you "pursue" something, you go out and get it.

Did our guys jump on a plane, orchestrate a physical and watch a private workout? Or did we sit back and wait to see what happened?

What we did sounds more like pursuit than evaluation.

Yeah...gonna call a big fat BS on that one.

The 49ers go to the Combine every year, talk to players they have no intention of drafting, and send scouts to every pro day. Thay aren't pursuing those players. They are evaluating them.

Getting on a plane is the line between evaluating or pursuing. This is all pointless semantics.

Bottom line to me is that I think Manning was interested in SF when they didn't intend to pursue him. They went to see him and liked what they saw. They tried to make it work but never intended to pay what the Broncos did. Manning went to Denver.

End of story.

But they did intend to pay him something close to what Denver paid, and they did understand the PR could possibly have been too much for Alex Smith to handle.

They were willing to risk losing Alex and not gaining Peyton Manning all with one evaluation trip.

End of story

Says you.

Harbaugh said they were never going to use 1/6th of the salary cap on one guy. Of course they wanted it on the downlow...they want EVERYTHING on the downlow. Who knew they were gonna draft Aldon Smith or AJ Jenkins in the first round?

This entire story is manufactured.

Did they have interest in Manning? Of course. Were they "chasing" him? No. IMO, they were never gonna give him that kind of money and thats a big reason he's in Denver. I also think it was MANNING who facilitated the talks.

Was it more than just checking the guy out? Yes. Was it a mad rush to try and get him? No. Did they think they were in it till the end? Yes. They had a chance at an all time great. The kicked the tires because it was prudent. They made an attempt but I don't think they EVER were gonna give up what Denver did.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on May 31, 2012 at 2:04 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
It's a bit silly for any of us to say we know what was going on. None of us knows anything for sure, it's all just speculation.

That said, who cares anyway? It's not like knowing would change the outcome.

The bottom line is that Alex Smith is the 49ers starting quarterback and we'll see how things go during the season.

Save da drama fo' yo' Momma.

Peace.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
It's a bit silly for any of us to say we know what was going on. None of us knows anything for sure, it's all just speculation.

The bottom line is that Alex Smith is the 49ers starting quarterback and we'll see how things go during the season.

Peace.

If we removed the silly conversations from the 'zone, we'd have nothing to talk about.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
If we removed the silly conversations from the 'zone, we'd have nothing to talk about.

No way! We could be having serious conversations about things that are actually important to the success of this team next season! Like the heated competitions that Brian Jennings is currently facing!

Peace.

But... do we pursue or evaluate silly conversations?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Neither. We're real men.

We have angry sex with silly conversations.

Originally posted by English:
Like they just said on the wheelhouse on 95.7.....

When you "evaluate" something, you sit back and wait/watch.

When you "pursue" something, you go out and get it.

Did our guys jump on a plane, orchestrate a physical and watch a private workout? Or did we sit back and wait to see what happened?

What we did sounds more like pursuit than evaluation.

Good grief. Your definition of evaluation sounds more like a definition of meditation to me.

They wanted to know if he was likely to be a starter again. They could have sat back and wait to see what would happen, then doubtless the zone would have foamed with disapproval. They went and had a look. That isn't pursuit. Could be assessment though.

Answer me this then.....

Why should you be talking about not taking offence?

As to why should Manning call Harbaugh, are you really building a theory on a phone call? A courtesy.
Was it more than just checking the guy out? Yes. Was it a mad rush to try and get him? No. Did they think they were in it till the end? Yes. They had a chance at an all time great. The kicked the tires because it was prudent. They made an attempt but I don't think they EVER were gonna give up what Denver did.

This
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Neither. We're real men.

We have angry sex with silly conversations.
T.V. agrees
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Peace.

Dude I know, I have sources deep inside the 49er organization.

Peace.

Thanks, was thinking this but was too lazy to write as much!
Share 49ersWebzone