There are 185 users in the forums

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
As Jim Trotter of SI reported prior to word of the 49ers involvement, "The owner of one 2011 playoff team told SI that while his club was not pursuing Manning, it would seriously consider signing him (pending a positive medical report) if he phoned and said he wanted to play for them."

I believe we were that team and Manning did reach out to the 49ers and not vice versa. Then Harbaugh and Roman went to take a look, liked what they saw and stayed in the hunt before Manning chose Denver.

I don't think it's much more complicated than that.

I think it's more like Condon being a good agent getting both Manning to workout for the Niners and Harbaugh to fly out there to see it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Pretty sure you are not allowed to post such large quantities of an article... You as a vet know better.

I did it just to irk you.
Originally posted by susweel:
Pretty sure you are not allowed to post such large quantities of an article... You as a vet know better.

thats a dumb rule...i dont come here to get re-routed to other sites !
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

thats a dumb rule...i dont come here to get re-routed to other sites !

Well those site hits are what keep those writers employed....so thats the reason its a rule. If every article they write ends up here, soon nobody is being paid to write anything.

Small price to pay.

I know, baby, I know... I did haz a smile. You gotta do it like fister there though... that's how you really it up effectively.
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch I'm starting to question whether Jim Harbaugh ever "recruited" Robert Griffin III when he was the coach at Stanford.

who's Eric Branch????

Mission accomplished
yes
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Originally posted by lamontb:
He was better off not even commenting on the subject. Props for trying to boosts Smith's confidence but we all know they were doing way more than evaluating. This is just coach talk. .

Exactly what I was thinking. I would rather he not even bring it up. What he said was a little contradictive to me. He finally said they wanted them both.

Ok, I can believe that, but to say the 9ers didn't persue Manning is walking a thin line between the truth and untruth. Either the 9ers wanted Manning or they didn't.

My vote goes to they wanted Peyton and Alex.

I think that was in response to the Panther LB saying that Alex would have been gone if Manning had come to town. So the HC was defending his QB.

As for the rest of it. I can believe that Alex would still have received a low balled offer if Manning had come and that there would have been a legit competition for starting QB..which I believe Manning would have won. I think Alex is a good qb and getting better but Manning will go down in the history books as one of the best ever to play the game. I also believe that while 90 Million might have been the starting offer, the 9ers could have low balled Manning too knowing that they had a SB ready team that didn't "need" Peyton Manning. While, I'm sure the offer would have approached the number...I would be shocked if the Baalke didn't have some kind of bail-out clause or refused to give the kind of guaranteed money that Manning was looking for.
He was better off not even commenting on the subject. Props for trying to boosts Smith's confidence but we all know they were doing way more than evaluating. This is just coach talk. .

Exactly what I was thinking. I would rather he not even bring it up. What he said was a little contradictive to me. He finally said they wanted them both.

Ok, I can believe that, but to say the 9ers didn't persue Manning is walking a thin line between the truth and untruth. Either the 9ers wanted Manning or they didn't.

That's why it's so odd. I mean the situation was pretty much dead til JH makes these comments. They went after Manning and didn't get him. Case closed. Let's move forward. If he really wanted to clear the air then why not make this point during Smith's press conference when he signed his new deal. He could've easily mentioned this to the media then. It would have fit in perfectly with the premise of them wanting Smith all along. No need to bring it up 2 months later.

Originally posted by Jakemall:

I think that was in response to the Panther LB saying that Alex would have been gone if Manning had come to town. So the HC was defending his QB.

As for the rest of it. I can believe that Alex would still have received a low balled offer if Manning had come and that there would have been a legit competition for starting QB..which I believe Manning would have won. I think Alex is a good qb and getting better but Manning will go down in the history books as one of the best ever to play the game. I also believe that while 90 Million might have been the starting offer, the 9ers could have low balled Manning too knowing that they had a SB ready team that didn't "need" Peyton Manning. While, I'm sure the offer would have approached the number...I would be shocked if the Baalke didn't have some kind of bail-out clause or refused to give the kind of guaranteed money that Manning was looking for.
That makes sense. At 1st I thought he was taking the heat off Smith, but he could be countering Beason's remarks .
One does not simply

Evaluate Peyton Manning
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
good for them
  • DJD
  • Veteran
Money is the bottom line on this one... As coach said, there is no way the Niners would have dedicated that large a chunk of their salary cap to one player. Would they have WANTED Payton in the red and gold, no question. But through the evaluation process it was clear that Manning expected to break the bank, and it seems to me that was the extent of the flirtation.
I do believe that Peyton drove the evaluation and Peyton understood the Niners needed a discount.

BUT,

it is just pure non sense to believe we our going to waste top resources time evaluating ANYBODY if we don't at least have some interest. Add on to that they knew it was going to get reported so the Niners had to at least be VERY interested.

The other very weak aspect of Harbaugh's statement is how he adamantly stated we would never have given a player a sixth of our total salary. Fine, and after the fact that sounds very noble, but even at a discount Peyton would have cost us 1/7th or 1/8th

Niners management must have already accepted the very real possibility of......
1. Losing at least 4 players to make fiscal room for Peyton
2. Being publicly viewed as entering the rat race which of course will be viewed as unsatisfied with current QB
3. Lose Alex Smith over all this

They accepted all those propositions before making the trip, or they would never have made the trip
[ Edited by danimal on May 31, 2012 at 11:17 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone