There are 185 users in the forums

What new wrinkle will we see?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
fake end around to VD who sets up and launches an 80 yard bomb to crabtree then gets down field and knocks all the DBs down before crabtree catches it in the endzone untouched
Originally posted by stepnez:
slants and double moves

I dunno why we didn't use the double move on the bengals. Hahaha Nate Clements is great at covering the double move
60 yard TD pass. Straight up drop back and throw.
The team adapts each week to match up against our opponents. For example the four man rush you mentioned against detroit was out of necessity as they pass 65%+ of the time and Stafford gets the ball out within 3+ seconds...Fangio felt that playing coverage was more to our benefit that blitzing so we were very creative in bringing rushers from various positions without bringing more than 4 at any given time.

Harbaugh and staff hold their plays, schemes and game plans very close to their chest, so week in and week out we will only use and show what is needed and wont open up the whole bag of tricks until absolutely necessary.
Good point Ninerwinner. I totally agree. I think we will see a game plan tailored for Cleveland. That being said I think we will see a heafty dose of runnning. Cleveland is #4 overall in D because their pass D is#1. Part of that is because teams run heavy against them and they give it up. Teams also don't need to pass to win. I'm actually guessing we won't really see any new wrinkles. Much like Cincinatti we will try to win this game by playing vanilla. Why show a new wrinkle when you can just line up and win?
Joe Haden and company are actually a pretty good secondary. They're probably not that bad against the run if their overall defense is number 4. I do think that the offense will run the ball a lot and pass enough to keep them honest. Of course I didn't see us running right at Sue the way we did, so who knows what these guys will come up with.

The way the Browns churned out 6 points last week, I am curious to see if our defense really goes after them.
There are other motivations for putting wrinkles in a game plan instead of keeping everything close to the chest:
1. Keep players excited about the game plan
2. Work on something you want to threaten in the next game
3. Force your next opponent to game plan certain plays

For example, if Soap runs in a short yardage situation and picks up the yard, in future similar plays the linebacker is more likely to attack Soap, which makes it easier for Soap to block him and opens another area up, and the safety will likely cheat down on the play more. Both things set up another play to exploit that tendency if they see it later. If Soap throws the ball downfield, when he is on the field, the safety would then have to stay deeper, keeping him out of run support.

My point is, you don't just show wrinkles for this game, you show them to set-up later opponents as well.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
More slants. Worked for 80!
WR screen to Ginn or Edwards!
Originally posted by Envy:
More slants. Worked for 80!

Yeah the sluggo routes were money(slant & go).

Split back formation.
ooops!
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 29, 2011 at 2:59 PM ]
Originally posted by oregonniner:
Joe Haden and company are actually a pretty good secondary. They're probably not that bad against the run if their overall defense is number 4. I do think that the offense will run the ball a lot and pass enough to keep them honest. Of course I didn't see us running right at Sue the way we did, so who knows what these guys will come up with.

The way the Browns churned out 6 points last week, I am curious to see if our defense really goes after them.

They have played bottom tier offenses thus far.

Sunday, September 11 vs. Cincinnati Bengals, 1:00PM
Rookie QB and not legit threat on offense.

Sunday, September 18 at Indianapolis Colts, 1:00PM
No Manning

Sunday, September 25 vs. Miami Dolphins, 1:00PM
Joke

Sunday, October 2 vs. Tennessee Titans, 1:00PM
Hasselbeck the best QB they have faced. No Britt and Johnson playing like doo doo.

Sunday, October 9 Bye Week

Sunday, October 16 at Oakland Raiders, 4:05PM
Cambell gets hurt and "Bowler" comes in.

Sunday, October 23 vs. Seattle Seahawks, 1:00PM
Garbage.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 29, 2011 at 4:29 PM ]
Originally posted by HearstFan:
There are other motivations for putting wrinkles in a game plan instead of keeping everything close to the chest:
1. Keep players excited about the game plan
2. Work on something you want to threaten in the next game
3. Force your next opponent to game plan certain plays

For example, if Soap runs in a short yardage situation and picks up the yard, in future similar plays the linebacker is more likely to attack Soap, which makes it easier for Soap to block him and opens another area up, and the safety will likely cheat down on the play more. Both things set up another play to exploit that tendency if they see it later. If Soap throws the ball downfield, when he is on the field, the safety would then have to stay deeper, keeping him out of run support.

My point is, you don't just show wrinkles for this game, you show them to set-up later opponents as well.

i agree. i think JH is wise enough to not only game plan, but "season plan" as well
Originally posted by VA49er:
60 yard TD pass. Straight up drop back and throw.

"Alright men. 60 yard touchdown pass on go. Ready, break!"
Share 49ersWebzone