LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

What new wrinkle will we see?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
fake end around to VD who sets up and launches an 80 yard bomb to crabtree then gets down field and knocks all the DBs down before crabtree catches it in the endzone untouched

That's offensive pass interference.
I hate when people use the word "wrinkle" that way. Bill Simmons does it all the time.
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Originally posted by VA49er:
60 yard TD pass. Straight up drop back and throw.

"Alright men. 60 yard touchdown pass on go. Ready, break!"

f**king roman needs to call that play
a run up the middle
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Originally posted by VA49er:
60 yard TD pass. Straight up drop back and throw.

"Alright men. 60 yard touchdown pass on go. Ready, break!"

That's my favorite play call
We will see an Edwards/Crabtree 'jump and ass bump' celebration when we score on our first offensive drive.
Using the big men (Staley and Sopoaga) as pass receivers. How about that for a new wrinkle?!!
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
a run up the middle

6-1.
I wanna see the taser again.
Originally said by AleXSmith11:

Let it roll, let it roll!!!

This. 6-1.

Offense:
Yep...saw three naked bootlegs with Alex, TE's exploiting the middle of the field, lots of slants and of course, the Sopoaga/Staley pass plays. We also tried a ton of runs off tackle (ala the Bucs game) but this isn't a "new" wrinkle.

Defense:
Playing tighter with the CB's and Goldson got an INT (that's a new wrinkle) He got another big hit...not new
Originally posted by HearstFan:
There are other motivations for putting wrinkles in a game plan instead of keeping everything close to the chest:
1. Keep players excited about the game plan
2. Work on something you want to threaten in the next game
3. Force your next opponent to game plan certain plays

For example, if Soap runs in a short yardage situation and picks up the yard, in future similar plays the linebacker is more likely to attack Soap, which makes it easier for Soap to block him and opens another area up, and the safety will likely cheat down on the play more. Both things set up another play to exploit that tendency if they see it later. If Soap throws the ball downfield, when he is on the field, the safety would then have to stay deeper, keeping him out of run support.

My point is, you don't just show wrinkles for this game, you show them to set-up later opponents as well.

This is what we have missed for so long! Game-planning, chess-match coaches!
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Split back formation.

Called it.

-On Michael Crabtree's 2-yard touchdown reception, the 49ers lined up with split backs, the old "green" West Coast formation. First time they've showed that in probably 10 years

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2011/11/01/49ers-browns-review-first-half-impressions/
Originally posted by toeknee:
annexation of puerto rico

Saw in the Redskins game more involvement with Edwards, more slants and also saw a lot of audibles by Alex. In addition, the big wrinkle I saw was that they were moving OL around a lot...moving Staley to RT and Snyder to LT on plays; many more...and overloading on one side with extra OL and TE's but running backside. Again, adding more to their arsenal and giving the opposition something extra to think about!

Any other wrinkles you saw this week? On defense?
Share 49ersWebzone