There are 275 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by nj9er:
Not sold on Carrol as NFL head coach. Not sold on Russel, I think his size and speed is not near the same level as Kaep and with teams studying the read option Kaep has the pocket advantage. Not that Russel is a slouch but I think he will be easier to game plan against then Kaep. Also wait till we draft around 10-12 players.

The challenge with Russell is finding a way to keep him in the pocket. He's a slippery little f**k. The big plays always seem to happen he avoids a sack, escapes the pocket, and throws on the run.
Kap - 4.53 forty
RW - 4.55 forty
size is a given

actually most of his big plays came inside the pocket.. most of his plays period came inside the pocket...

Podcast: Catching up with Russell Wilson - NFC West Blog - ESPN
espn.go.com/.../_/id/90564/podcast-catching-up-with-russell-wilson
[ Edited by hawker84 on Mar 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM ]
they can write whatever they want. we were a couple akers field goals from having 2 or 3 more wins and a horrible call from a superbowl win. seattle wishes they were the 49ers
Originally posted by hawker84:
Not sold on Carrol as NFL head coach. Not sold on Russel, I think his size and speed is not near the same level as Kaep and with teams studying the read option Kaep has the pocket advantage. Not that Russel is a slouch but I think he will be easier to game plan against then Kaep. Also wait till we draft around 10-12 players.

The challenge with Russell is finding a way to keep him in the pocket. He's a slippery little f**k. The big plays always seem to happen he avoids a sack, escapes the pocket, and throws on the run.
Kap - 4.53 forty
RW - 4.55 forty
size is a given

actually most of his big plays came inside the pocket.. most of his plays period came inside the pocket...

Everyone should perform better in the pocket than outside. It's tougher to throw on the run. The thing with Wilson is that he's FAR above average throwing outside the pocket compared to league average. Check out these stats:

Inside the Pocket

Wilson - 95.1 passer rating
League - 87.2 passer rating

Wilson - 77.4 QBR
League - 60.3 QBR

Outside the Pocket

Wilson - 95.2 passer rating
League - 77.0 passer rating

Wilson - 60.8 QBR*********
League - 30.8 QBR

Conclusion : Wilson is very good passing inside the pocket, but his ability to throw so effectively outside the pocket is the added element that makes him very dangerous. It's like pick your poison. I'd rather keep him inside the pocket, rather than have him break loose outside where his QBR is nearly double the league average.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM ]
Everyone should perform better in the pocket than outside. It's tougher to throw on the run. The thing with Wilson is that he's FAR above average throwing outside the pocket compared to league average. Check out these stats:

Inside the Pocket

Wilson - 77.4 QBR
League - 60.3 QBR

Outside the Pocket

League - 30.8 QBR

Conclusion : Wilson is very good passing inside the pocket, but his ability to throw so effectively outside the pocket is the added element that makes him very dangerous. It's like pick your poison. I'd rather keep him inside the pocket, rather than have him break loose outside where his QBR is nearly double the league average.

if you can contain him and apply pressure, that's when the majority of his sacks occur.. rams did this very well last season

Inside the Pocket

Wilson - 77.4 QBR
League - 60.3 QBR

Outside the Pocket

League - 30.8 QBR

Just as importantly, it's the AMOUNT of times that Wilson throws outside of the pocket. He is constantly running around out there; the little devil.
ESPN pre-season #1's since 2002 (SB winners bolded):

2002 St. Louis Rams
2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2004 New England Patriots
2005 New England Patriots
2006 Seattle Seahawks
2007 New England Patriots
2008 New England Patriots
2009 Pittsburgh Steelers
2010 Indianapolis Colts
2011 Green Bay Packers
2012 New York Giants

Only once did their pre-season #1 actually go on to win the SB. Just sayin'.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Just as importantly, it's the AMOUNT of times that Wilson throws outside of the pocket. He is constantly running around out there; the little devil.

This too. In every game I saw, he was running around a la Fran Tarkenton. He's a pest.

Kap - 4.53 forty
RW - 4.55 forty
size is a given

Hawker, I can't imagine all that many guys from here rushed to check out the "Catching up with Russell Wilson" blog. Don't be too disappointed.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/03/inside-the-49ers/espn-nfl-power-rankings-seahawks-no-1-49ers-no-2/

Personally, I don't see how this can be. I know the Sea-buzzards beat us bad when we last played but lets face it, they beat a very tired team, who just beat Brady and his high powered offense that threw 50+ times (please correct me if I'm wrong on that), and a team who had to travel from New England to Seattle in a week. Plus I really feel the Sea-buzzards snuck up on a lot of teams. But with them having a much tougher schedule this coming season (while we have an easier schedule) I think they regress. I really think the Sea-buzzards are grossly over-rated, and the 49ers under-rated. And I think this lack of respect for us is a good motivational tool for JH & Co.

Thoughts?

Contenders win on the road. Pretenders don't.

49ers: 5 - 3
Seahawks: 3 - 5

On the other hand, if the Seahawks get home field in the playoffs, that would make all the difference for them, because they are a different team at home.
Originally posted by English:
Hawker, I can't imagine all that many guys from here rushed to check out the "Catching up with Russell Wilson" blog. Don't be too disappointed.

LOL i'm not holding my breath.. just thought i should throw some stats out there to back my statement...

LOL i'm not holding my breath.. just thought i should throw some stats out there to back my statement...

How DARE you use stats to back up an opinion! Don't you KNOW this is a FAN site????

Don't Curr. Championships are won in January not March.
Double post
[ Edited by KegBert on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM ]

I know I didn't. I think he forgot what forum he is in.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/03/inside-the-49ers/espn-nfl-power-rankings-seahawks-no-1-49ers-no-2/

Personally, I don't see how this can be. I know the Sea-buzzards beat us bad when we last played but lets face it, they beat a very tired team, who just beat Brady and his high powered offense that threw 50+ times (please correct me if I'm wrong on that), and a team who had to travel from New England to Seattle in a week. Plus I really feel the Sea-buzzards snuck up on a lot of teams. But with them having a much tougher schedule this coming season (while we have an easier schedule) I think they regress. I really think the Sea-buzzards are grossly over-rated, and the 49ers under-rated. And I think this lack of respect for us is a good motivational tool for JH & Co.

Thoughts?

Contenders win on the road. Pretenders don't.

49ers: 5 - 3
Seahawks: 3 - 5

On the other hand, if the Seahawks get home field in the playoffs, that would make all the difference for them, because they are a different team at home.
That's a great point I forgot to add. With a tougher schedule the "12th man" won't be able to save them. 3 road wins won't cut it in 2013. They aren't sneaking up on no one.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone