There are 199 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
Justin SMith played how many games in a row before he got injured? He's getting older. Frank Gore, getting older. Patrick Willis has maxed out I think. Our secondary is still suspect. Aldon didn't play so well without the Cowboy so if he goes down again... We lost Ice. We lost an all pro in Goldson.

I don't underestimate this front office and coaching staff, but you don't replace Goldson, and if Justin gets hurt again(age) you definitely don't replace him. He's the best in the league.

I thought that too about Aldon until I learned he was also playing hurt.

I just feel we are going to regress and I feel we started to see it last year. Think we regressed from '11 to '12 and feel that will continue with players getting older, and others primes maxed out. Not saying we are going to suck, but we are still going to take a step backwards.

But again could be 100% wrong, just my feeling on the issue.

Yeah last year we regressed into the Superbowl
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

But with them having a much tougher schedule this coming season (while we have an easier schedule)......

Just curious how you came to this conclusion. I dont agree with it in the slightest bit.
The Seahawks should have a tougher schedule this year in view of their play-off appearance.
The 49er's of course will be (or should be) tougher in that they were in the Superbowl.

It's going to be an interesting division and EVERY win counts. No let downs because ONE loss could be the difference.
As it was 1/2 game was all it took to win the division last year .... Whew!

It's going to be scary because we all know that it's nearly impossible to win all games!
I just feel we are going to regress and I feel we started to see it last year. Think we regressed from '11 to '12 and feel that will continue with players getting older, and others primes maxed out. Not saying we are going to suck, but we are still going to take a step backwards.

But again could be 100% wrong, just my feeling on the issue.
When TWO of your best defensive personnel are injured, and to make it worse, your pass rushers ... add to that you Field Goal kicker ... it makes a HUGE difference.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Mar 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM ]
AGAIN, why are so many people (including the media) overlooking the key injuries to our defense after the Pats game? Justin and Aldon just underwent corrective surgery and are projected to be fully rehabilitate well before the season starts. That alone puts us above anyone in the NFL, including the Seahawks. Now add a few strong FA's and 14 draft picks (6 in the first three rounds) and we're #2? Please.

every team is injured in December... we were missing key players as well.. we started our 4th string cornerback that game, he covered Moss all game... not to mention our D line was riddled with injuries.. Jones was gone for that game... Russell Okuhn was playing with a bad foot.. we had significant injuries as well.
Originally posted by hawker84:
AGAIN, why are so many people (including the media) overlooking the key injuries to our defense after the Pats game? Justin and Aldon just underwent corrective surgery and are projected to be fully rehabilitate well before the season starts. That alone puts us above anyone in the NFL, including the Seahawks. Now add a few strong FA's and 14 draft picks (6 in the first three rounds) and we're #2? Please.

every team is injured in December... we were missing key players as well.. we started our 4th string cornerback that game, he covered Moss all game... not to mention our D line was riddled with injuries.. Jones was gone for that game... Russell Okuhn was playing with a bad foot.. we had significant injuries as well.

This is why the games are not played on paper in March. Come August/September, that's when it counts. Until then, it doesn't matter who says what. It's ALL speculation.
I don't know if they are better but they sure are close.
ESPN pre-season #1's since 2002 (SB winners bolded):

2002 St. Louis Rams
2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2004 New England Patriots
2005 New England Patriots
2006 Seattle Seahawks
2007 New England Patriots
2008 New England Patriots
2009 Pittsburgh Steelers
2010 Indianapolis Colts
2011 Green Bay Packers
2012 New York Giants

Only once did their pre-season #1 actually go on to win the SB. Just sayin'.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Not sold on Carrol as NFL head coach. Not sold on Russel, I think his size and speed is not near the same level as Kaep and with teams studying the read option Kaep has the pocket advantage. Not that Russel is a slouch but I think he will be easier to game plan against then Kaep. Also wait till we draft around 10-12 players.
Originally posted by nj9er:
Not sold on Carrol as NFL head coach. Not sold on Russel, I think his size and speed is not near the same level as Kaep and with teams studying the read option Kaep has the pocket advantage. Not that Russel is a slouch but I think he will be easier to game plan against then Kaep. Also wait till we draft around 10-12 players.

The challenge with Russell is finding a way to keep him in the pocket. He's a slippery little f**k. The big plays always seem to happen he avoids a sack, escapes the pocket, and throws on the run.

Cards pull off huge upset and win the division
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Cards pull off huge upset and win the division

Drew Stanton - League MVP
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by nj9er:

The challenge with Russell is finding a way to keep him in the pocket. He's a slippery little f**k. The big plays always seem to happen he avoids a sack, escapes the pocket, and throws on the run.

Yeah, I distinctly remember him doing that in the 2nd Hags-Niners game. Poor Brooks just chasing him around all night.
Well NFL.com is ranking 49ers #1 in post-FA, predraft power rankings so f**k off ESPN.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I am not surprised, but then it is not very important.
Share 49ersWebzone