LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by seahawk12thman:
What is it with with whiny NFL fans crying because espn thinks the Seahawks are number 1 and NFL.com thinks the 9ers are number 1? Who gives a f*ck? I expect it from Seahawk fans because we have never won a superbowl and are desperate (I call it as I see it) for respect but it shouldn't be an issue with niner fans. The only way it pisses you off is if it rings true. If posters on here are so convinced that the Niner's are better than we shall see when they play each other. You guys are ranked 2nd so its not like you are being disrespected. They feel the Seahawks had a better offseason in free agency and that their talent is slightly greater. The draft is coming up and the Niners will have a great opportunity to address needs but s**t that doesn't mean they are disrespecting you. Nobody would be surprised on either side if the Niners or Seahawks swept one another this year and to suggest otherwise means you are lying. The only thing that matters is the Lombardi trophy and they can put the Hawks at 32 if we take it home.
I'm happy with the Seahawks being called #1 and the Niners #2 before we even get to the draft. That's fine. No more bs-ing about how weak the NFC West is.
Originally posted by hawker84:
well first of all he's not 5'10" he's just a shade under 5'11" . so they're not 2 inches taller.. but either way so by your own admission from your post, it has been done before, which leads one to believe it can be done again.. what intangibles does brees, tarkington, theisman, flutie have that RW doesn't other than that 1 1/4 inches? (excluding flutie)

Yes, I've acknowledged that it's been done before quite a few times. All I've ever said is that the odds are long and I stand by that. I've also pointed out that one of the few teams that had consistent success against Tarkenton were the Steelers who, by coincidence, had the tallest D-line in the league. And, it was only tall by 70's standards, They're all that tall today.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

OK damnit, that's funny.. i actually did laugh out loud...
Hawker, Lisa, 12th man - sorry about the picture. I just can't help it. I've got to razz you. I know he's damn good.
Yes, I've acknowledged that it's been done before quite a few times. All I've ever said is that the odds are long and I stand by that. I've also pointed out that one of the few teams that had consistent success against Tarkenton were the Steelers who, by coincidence, had the tallest D-line in the league. And, it was only tall by 70's standards, They're all that tall today.

ya know that makes a whole lot of since to me, and if i didn't know any better i'd probably say, you know what, you're probably right.. my only problem with this theory is, he just faced all those tall lines last season, and was still successfull.. so unless they're out recruiting on Gulivers Island ( ), i don't see this being a problem next season either..
Let me make something clear to both Seahawk and Niner fans. I think Russell Wilson is very, very good. Scary good. I just need to see him do the same thing next season before I feel he's the second coming of Fran Tarkenton, who is, after all, in the Hall of Fame. I wouldn't mind if both he and Kaepernick turned into top five elite QB's in the league and both teams go back and fourth 1 and 2 - 2 and 1, all season long. I'd like to see the Rams get up in the top 10 too and the NFC West to be the new crucible that turns out the strongest teams every season. Having said that, what I really want is for the Niners to win the division and the division to send three teams to the playoffs.
ya know that makes a whole lot of since to me, and if i didn't know any better i'd probably say, you know what, you're probably right.. my only problem with this theory is, he just faced all those tall lines last season, and was still successfull.. so unless they're out recruiting on Gulivers Island ( ), i don't see this being a problem next season either..
I think Gnielsen other point was is teams weren't prepared for Wilson last year, since it will be a year later teams have more time to study tape. With more time to study tape, teams might be able to keep him in the pocket, by keeping him in the pocket it forces Wilson to have to see over his own linemen, on top of having see over defensive linemen. However its one thing to study and prepare for it, its another thing to stop him on the field, we shall see
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
I think Gnielsen other point was is teams weren't prepared for Wilson last year, since it will be a year later teams have more time to study tape. With more time to study tape, teams might be able to keep him in the pocket, by keeping him in the pocket it forces Wilson to have to see over his own linemen, on top of having see over defensive linemen. However its one thing to study and prepare for it, its another thing to stop him on the field, we shall see
yep, this has been brought up before, but only problem with this strategy is, his numbers were much better in the pocket that outside the pocket accross the board.

This was clearly shopped. Somebody gave Wilson an extra 4-5 inches when in reality he is eye level with Kaps belt buckle.
Originally posted by BayArea:
I am anxious to see him try to find Harvin in the pocket when that dude is hard to see when your 6'2". One little guy throwing to another just sounds like it is bound to not work.

well , he's actually bigger than golden tate and doug baldwin.. seemed to find those guys just fine.....

Not from the pocket he didn't.

I agree that he's legit. Russell Wilson knows how to play the game and he's good at everything he does. But, on the other hand, there is a reason why so few players who are under 6 feet tall enjoy sustained success in the NFL. Only two players since 1950 who are Wilson's height or shorter have had any success at all. And the only players at 6 feet (2 inches taller than Russell) in the last 40 years who have had success are Brees, Thiesman and Tarkenton. I think it has something to do with NFL defenses studying film, learning their moves, and figuring out not only how to contain them in the pocket, but get in their faces and hit holes in pocket protection to knock them around. The shorter QB's almost always end up throwing more interceptions as well because safeties learn to hide behind linemen so their out of the line of site and trick them into throwing passes that have a better chance of being intercepted. Drew Brees had 19 interceptions last season.

So, while I know the Seahawks fans are tired of me pointing these things out, all I can say is I'm waiting for a season or two before I believe Russell Wilson can continue to perform like he did in the second half of last season.

well first of all he's not 5'10" he's just a shade under 5'11" . so they're not 2 inches taller.. but either way so by your own admission from your post, it has been done before, which leads one to believe it can be done again.. what intangibles does brees, tarkington, theisman, flutie have that RW doesn't other than that 1 1/4 inches? (excluding flutie)
Well, first of all, height is a tangible element to a QB that can be measured...hence, the word tangible. Second, it might be a little early to start comparing Wilson to Brees or Tarkenton. One great year as a rookie that no one was expecting is one thing. I certainly wouldn't start the Kap comparisons to Montana or Young just yet. All that said, Wilson's one aspect that potentially gives him the ability to overcome the height issue and inevitable scheming that will take place as teams get more tape on him is his amazing scrambling ability in and out of the pocket. I have to say, I have never seen someone be able to scramble that well and still maintain a semblance of where his receivers were down field. That is the intangible that sets Wilson apart. If he regressed in that one area alone, he would have a very tough time behind center.
Originally posted by VANiner:
Well, first of all, height is a tangible element to a QB that can be measured...hence, the word tangible. Second, it might be a little early to start comparing Wilson to Brees or Tarkenton. One great year as a rookie that no one was expecting is one thing. I certainly wouldn't start the Kap comparisons to Montana or Young just yet. All that said, Wilson's one aspect that potentially gives him the ability to overcome the height issue and inevitable scheming that will take place as teams get more tape on him is his amazing scrambling ability in and out of the pocket. I have to say, I have never seen someone be able to scramble that well and still maintain a semblance of where his receivers were down field. That is the intangible that sets Wilson apart. If he regressed in that one area alone, he would have a very tough time behind center.

I completely agree. His ability to scramble is nothing less than spectacular. He's literally the best scrambler I've seen since Fran Tarkenton. Two 16 second scrambles in the same game??!! Are you fricking kidding me?!

I completely agree. His ability to scramble is nothing less than spectacular. He's literally the best scrambler I've seen since Fran Tarkenton. Two 16 second scrambles in the same game??!! Are you fricking kidding me?!

Poor Ahmad was worn out after that game.
Originally posted by Beeker:

Poor Ahmad was worn out after that game.
I got tired watching our guys chase him around in the second game. I was literally physically winded (it probably had something to do with me screaming at the television for 16 seconds without taking a breath). Seriously, though, Wilson has a lot going for him (poise, smarts, accuracy, etc.) But his scrambling is bar none the best in the NFL. Take that away, and the height issue becomes a much bigger factor.
Wilson is partially the reason im hoping for a blitzing safety, smaller bodies cb/s can change direction quicker then big ones LB/DL
Share 49ersWebzone