LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

"Developing the offense" my a$$

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Goodwin is a former all-pro who is playing very poorly. The rest of the line averages just over 3 years of experience.

Iupati 2
Davis 2
Rachal 4
Staley 5
Goodwin 10

Most teams have more experience on their lines and certainly more continuity from last year. A new center, who has been with the team for all of a month, is not conducive to fluid line play. On top of that they are changing blocking and offensive schemes. So you expected them to be playing flawlessly?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
Since everyone seems to be complaining about offense, why not pile on some more?

This is more than just a conservative offense, it's downright Harbaugh-ring!

But for everyone who states, "Give it time", "Offense needs to develop", "Jim's WCO needs a few YEARS to get going", I call bull$h!t.

Why?

Every team had the same abbreviated offseason and crunch to learn the system, players, and playbook. And the vast majority of teams that are in the same situation as the Niners (new QB and/or offense) are performing a helluva lot better offensively:

Carolina (Cam Newton)
Cincinnati (Andy Dalton)
Cleveland (Colt McCoy)
Jacksonville (Luke McCown)
Tennessee (Matt Hasselbeck)
Arizona (Kevin Kolb)

It's amazing how the top 2 teams listed are lead by ROOKIE QBs who, in 2 games, look more comfortable than Alex Smith EVER HAS.

Great, Smith's completion % is 70%! Great, he's avoided multiple turnovers per game! He's a freakin' game manager...great!

Spread teams out to take advantage of your above average WRs and all-world TE? Not to mention, putting your QB (aka THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION ON THE FIELD) in a situation where he's most comfortable throwing?

Nah.

Just dig deeper into Jim Raye-baugh's playbook for a litany of short passes and ineffective runs!

Honestly, I dont care who Harbaugh "doesn't trust" (if that's actually what it is), grow a set, become more dynamic, and take some chances downfield. If the crappy teams I listed above are doing it (and pretty darn effectively), there is ZERO EXCUSE why the Niners (with arguable more talent than all of them) are mired in suckage.

Blake_Fever

Luke McCown is out playing Alex? C'mon Son! You know that's the dumbest thing you ever typed!
Originally posted by tankle104:
lol i love it when people post and rant about something that they have no idea what there saying.

Like yourself?
Originally posted by RollinDownRodeo:
Luke McCown is out playing Alex? C'mon Son! You know that's the dumbest thing you ever typed!

Note how I types "the vast majority of teams in the same situation as the Niners..."

So, minus the Jags, 5 out of 6 is "vast majority"

I think once Edward and Crabtree come back from their injuries, the offense will open up. Hard to do it when 2 of your best WR is injured.
Originally posted by tankle104:
lol i love it when people post and rant about something that they have no idea what there saying.

Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
Note how I types "the vast majority of teams in the same situation as the Niners..."

So, minus the Jags, 5 out of 6 is "vast majority"

Then why list the Jags? Lol
good thread...hope they don't lock it on yo a$$.

I'm tired of mediocrity....as well as fellow fans who accept mediocrity.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
good thread...hope they don't lock it on yo a$$.

I'm tired of mediocrity....as well as fellow fans who accept mediocrity.

Im not surprised by it, considering that it felt like the game was being played in Dallas this past weekend. Even more shocking is that Ninerland is laden with fans accepting the defeat, posting the likes of "why is everyone so mad we lost to Dallas" and "oh well, they're a better team than us anyways" etc.

I think a lot of 49er supporters became fans after the Young era. They saw a glimpse of what once was with the likes of TO and Garcia, and then they became accustomed to watching a losing franchise. The old school fans just sit at home and reminisce about the glory days.

There was a time when fans booed Steve Young (who never won less than 10 games a season for us) for not playing to par with Joe Montana. Now we cheer Alex for putting up a good effort.

They have to bring Smith along slowly. He's only been in the league since 2005. He needs more seasoning. The O-Line is horrendous. The defense is a sieve. I'd like the offense to be much more open. However, I don't trust Smith as far as he can throw. There were plants and birds and rocks and things.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Alex Smith and the offensive line will struggle if Harbaugh opened up this offense, and that would lead to the home crowd booing Smith. Why would you want that?

At least there would be some excitement in this offense, compared to the snoozing that's been going on.

Developing also doesn't me be scared to make plays.

Alex Smith's got my full support, but dammit take some shots down field.
So I guess the OP knows more about installing a new system then Jim does....OP for HC!!!!!
Originally posted by AiNoKea:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Alex Smith and the offensive line will struggle if Harbaugh opened up this offense, and that would lead to the home crowd booing Smith. Why would you want that?

At least there would be some excitement in this offense, compared to the snoozing that's been going on.

Developing also doesn't me be scared to make plays.

Alex Smith's got my full support, but dammit take some shots down field.

I understand that, but maybe Alex should change some plays at the line and improvise a little bit, he clearly can see a defense blitzing why don't he change the play and make them pay? It's what "great" quarterbacks do but Alex will never be great like that, he's definitely playing good, but he's not great...yet.

In Harbaugh I trust.
You can also use other characters to type cool messages:

$+uP1D3$+ F@||$ 1N +H3 l3@GU3
$udd3N 1NF!u>< 0F N00|3$ RU1N +h1$ $1+3
1|)10+'s G0NN@ 1|)10+
[ Edited by WillistheWall on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:29 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone