LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Nice win, but I'm still not happy about the play calling!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by strickac:
I blame Alex. He gets so flustered under pressure that he immediately checks down. He's too afraid to make mistakes. He's shown that he has the ability/talent. I just think he lacks the confidence to meet his potential.

He's a game manager, not a franchise QB. Without a dominant run game, we need much more from our QB. I hope Kaepernick (or Tolzein) gets in there by the end of the season because we're just wasting our time giving Alex snaps. Soon enough we're going to have to move forward. The sooner, the better.

Sorry to be so pessimistic after a win, but looking ahead, that's what I think we'll be facing.

So you'd hope Smith and hence the 49ers flame out so you can see Kaep?

I never said anything about losing. I'm sure the other two could play uber conservative and easily surpass Alex's 124 passing yards. Alex made a nice throw to Vernon and one to Morgan. Other than that, he was afraid to look upfield. Hence never seeing a wideopen Crabtree in the endzone. He's playing to salvage his career, not to beat defenses.
So much for the theory that JH is throwing the season to draft Luck
No turnovers, thats good. No stupid throws thats good, offensive line did well in pass protection but didnt open running lanes. Need more outside running. Two big penalities on special teams. Two many missed third down plays. Play calling not sure what to think. Hope it gets better then that. All in all not a bad game at all.
Originally posted by AlexSmithNWessonOil:
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Jeez, you people would complain if they hung you with a new rope.

Amen.

That should be hanged
I blame Alex. He gets so flustered under pressure that he immediately checks down. He's too afraid to make mistakes. He's shown that he has the ability/talent. I just think he lacks the confidence to meet his potential.
He was booed out of the stadium in the last regular season game. What did you expect?

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

He's a game manager, not a franchise QB. Without a dominant run game, we need much more from our QB. I hope Kaepernick (or Tolzein) gets in there by the end of the season because we're just wasting our time giving Alex snaps. Soon enough we're going to have to move forward. The sooner, the better.

Sorry to be so pessimistic after a win, but looking ahead, that's what I think we'll be facing.

the playcalling was conservitive because harbaugh didnt feel like the offense ahs mastered the playbook yet when alex was given the option to throw eep he did all other passes we designed to be short checkdowns
So you think that those checkdowns were all by design and by missing balls?

Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Agreed, I think Gore has definitely lost a step or two. He looks like he's wearing down and its probably time to think about Hunter as a 3rd down back and having Dixon on goal line situations. That being said, it looks like the same old s**t from #11, high throws, check downs, and missing wide open WRs.

What game were you watching? Honestly

Well, it's like ground hog's day with Alex....Same s**t different season and with another new coach, because its never #11's fault.

LOL. High throws and missing open WRs, wtf?
I counted about 3 high passes from Alex including one in the end zone to Edwards who was open and there is absolutely no excuse for missing a wide open Crabs for a TD instead he did his patented check down to Gore. Both of those plays would have put the game away early rather than kicking FGs.
That one to Crabs is all on Alex, no question about that. But even Rodgers overlook a good positioned WR on Thursday, and was hurried or even sacked instead. That happens to every QB once or twice in a game.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Didn't people already predict that our offense would have a tough time transitioning to the regular season because of the lockout?

I thought that was established a loooong time ago. That obviously happened in today's game, but we got the win, so why are people complaining?

Now, if we see the same sort of playcalling next week vs Dallas, who is looking very good right now, then we can start being concerned.

The pass pro was great, and the run blocking was awful, although against a very good Seattle run defense. Expect to see better things next week, or at least I hope.

Glad we got the win. Good win for the Niners, but we still have a long way to go. I think we should have understood that this was going to be a completely new offense with little time to prepare. Learning an entire new NFL offense in a month and a half is not enough.

Cam Newton played one full year of college football. Then 5 weeks of NFL practice. And now he breaks records.

They decided to use him and let him throw the ball, that was a DECISION. Just like us running into a 10 man box was a decision, just like running on 3rd and long was a decision.

Now, if we see the same sort of playcalling next week vs Dallas, who is looking very good right now, then we can start being concerned.
-- I agree with this. We'll give it another week, but boy is this place going ape-s**t if we do the same thing next week and lose.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 11, 2011 at 5:54 PM ]
JH obviously does not yet trust Smith and he Dilferized him. To be fair, it worked in that nothing bad happened, but it is disconcerning that not a lot of good things happened either offense-wise.
[ Edited by carlgo on Sep 11, 2011 at 5:56 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I couldn't care less if we play a good game. I only care if we win.

The play calling and offense will improve as time goes on. The coaching staff has to get to know the players better, and the players need to get to know the playbook better. The offense will get better.

Alex was INCREDIBLY efficient today. 75% completions, no turnovers, amazing run for a TD. Absolutely zero blame on Alex this game. He was asked to do little and he over delivered given his responsibilities. Well done.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Didn't people already predict that our offense would have a tough time transitioning to the regular season because of the lockout?

I thought that was established a loooong time ago. That obviously happened in today's game, but we got the win, so why are people complaining?

The pass pro was great, and the run blocking was awful, although against a very good Seattle run defense. Expect to see better things next week, or at least I hope.

Glad we got the win. Good win for the Niners, but we still have a long way to go. I think we should have understood that this was going to be a completely new offense with little time to prepare. Learning an entire new NFL offense in a month and a half is not enough.

Cam Newton played one full year of college football. Then 5 weeks of NFL practice. And now he breaks records.

They decided to use him and let him throw the ball, that was a DECISION. Just like us running into a 10 man box was a decision, just like running on 3rd and long was a decision.

-- I agree with this. We'll give it another week, but boy is this place going ape-s**t if we do the same thing next week and lose.

LOL. Yup. People will definitely be calling for Harbaugh's head, which I think would still be a bit too premature.

If we come out firing and lose because their O has the edge over our D, then I will be satisfied. We better not lose next because of the same reason we almost lost today..
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

Smith will never have the moxie that Newton has. he just wont.

Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Agreed, I think Gore has definitely lost a step or two. He looks like he's wearing down and its probably time to think about Hunter as a 3rd down back and having Dixon on goal line situations. That being said, it looks like the same old s**t from #11, high throws, check downs, and missing wide open WRs.

What game were you watching? Honestly

Well, it's like ground hog's day with Alex....Same s**t different season and with another new coach, because its never #11's fault.

LOL. High throws and missing open WRs, wtf?
I counted about 3 high passes from Alex including one in the end zone to Edwards who was open and there is absolutely no excuse for missing a wide open Crabs for a TD instead he did his patented check down to Gore. Both of those plays would have put the game away early rather than kicking FGs.

He wasnt wide open when he looked to his next option. Or do you know nothing about the game?
Originally posted by okdkid:
I couldn't care less if we play a good game. I only care if we win.

The play calling and offense will improve as time goes on. The coaching staff has to get to know the players better, and the players need to get to know the playbook better. The offense will get better.

Alex was INCREDIBLY efficient today. 75% completions, no turnovers, amazing run for a TD. Absolutely zero blame on Alex this game. He was asked to do little and he over delivered given his responsibilities. Well done.

People are being rediculous. He had good percentage, no turnovers and a TD and won the game. And they are still upset ready to pounce on him.....
I think it needs to be said that because the team never trailed during the game, Alex didn't have to be spectacular. The real test is going to be when the team is trailing and they need him to make plays.
Originally posted by socalniner:
I think it needs to be said that because the team never trailed during the game, Alex didn't have to be spectacular. The real test is going to be when the team is trailing and they need him to make plays.

I thought one of the reasons we signed Harbaugh was because he wouldn't let up if we had a lead and would go for the kill.

or did that not happen today because of lack of installation of the offense?

And despite of Newton's numbers they lost.

Now I don't know 'bout you, but I'll take skinny numbers and a victory over flashy numbers and a loss any day.

The BWO is a timing based offence, until you don't have the timing it's stuck in neutral, it'll improve.

I just do not understand you people, what have you expected? A offence that is as effective as the 1989 version? We won, Smith got some confidence, Harbaugh and the coaches now the players better, slowly the offence will get into gears.

I will not complain if play ugly and win until the offence is ready to be flashy.
Share 49ersWebzone