There are 199 users in the forums

Nice win, but I'm still not happy about the play calling!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by boogie:
Just feel that the offense could have done more. Too conservative. Does Harbaugh not trust Smith? Almost felt like Singletary was via satellite calling the plays. :|

First game of the season,short off season,new coaches,new playbook,new players,new schemes so what do you expect
forty-whiner??
Originally posted by strickac:
I blame Alex. He gets so flustered under pressure that he immediately checks down. He's too afraid to make mistakes. He's shown that he has the ability/talent. I just think he lacks the confidence to meet his potential.

He's a game manager, not a franchise QB. Without a dominant run game, we need much more from our QB. I hope Kaepernick (or Tolzein) gets in there by the end of the season because we're just wasting our time giving Alex snaps. Soon enough we're going to have to move forward. The sooner, the better.

Sorry to be so pessimistic after a win, but looking ahead, that's what I think we'll be facing.

So you'd hope Smith and hence the 49ers flame out so you can see Kaep?
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by boogie:
Just feel that the offense could have done more. Too conservative. Does Harbaugh not trust Smith? Almost felt like Singletary was via satellite calling the plays. :|

First game of the season,short off season,new coaches,new playbook,new players,new schemes so what do you expect
forty-whiner??
this x10000000
I was all worked up over the play calling now that I have had a chance to calm down we have to remember the offense has had a total of 20 practces together. How I hate this term but Alex managed the game and he made several spectacular passes 1 to Morgan, 2 VD and 1 Edwards some had zip other great touch, ran for a TD had several runs for positive yards and we didn' t see him throw a pick. The defense played lights out and except for the 1 drive and 1 pass, especially the line getting 5 sacks and forcing 2 or was it 3 turnovers?

Offense has a long way to go but every practice will allow them to get a little bit better. They will learn alot from this game to day.

Bottom line we won, did not reveal a lot about our offense (I know didn't run enough plays to reveal anything)
I truly believe that Harbaugh called safe plays because he new he could win against the Seahawks that way, I think the playbook will progress more and more depending on who we are playing. I was more concerned with Gores speed/strength today he was taken down alot on takles that ive seen him shrug off easily. We definitley need to play stronger next week, Cowboys Offense is coming out looking good against the Jets right now.
HORRIBLE PLAY CALLING
0 INTS 0 Sacks.
Smith did not make mistakes, made some throws when he needed to and ran in the only offensive TD of the game.
In the end we won and that's all that matters. What I say was Harbaugh consulting Smith, and that's a good thing.
Originally posted by adacosta24:
I truly believe that Harbaugh called safe plays because he new he could win against the Seahawks that way, I think the playbook will progress more and more depending on who we are playing. I was more concerned with Gores speed/strength today he was taken down alot on takles that ive seen him shrug off easily. We definitley need to play stronger next week, Cowboys Offense is coming out looking good against the Jets right now.

I hope so. I really do.

But remember, if Ginn doesn't make those plays, then we probably lose. And I guarantee there wouldn't be a SINGLE poster defending the play calling.

Thank you Ted Ginn.

Yeah, Gore's head didn't seem to be in this game. While the line didn't do him any favors, Gore just didn't seem to have his usual burst.Gore look better in the preseason...
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I hope so. I really do.

But remember, if Ginn doesn't make those plays, then we probably lose. And I guarantee there wouldn't be a SINGLE poster defending the play calling.

Thank you Ted Ginn.

How can you say we probably lose if we were winning? for heavens sake.

I hope so. I really do.

Thank you Ted Ginn.

Special teams is part of the game...

Gore had ONE good run today where he displayed some power and carried the pile for 3-4 extra yards. Maybe he is just rusty from lack of playing time in the pre-season, but I expected that to result in him being fresher, quicker and more explosive. He looked tired out there. They should have given Dixon shot at the goal line.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by obx49:
I think its a lack of trust at the QB position and I don't blame Harbaugh one bit. If it was Sing then we would have lost the game. Not Harbaugh's fault at all.

Exactly, figuring he didn't need to take risks against the Seachickens to win the game, Harbaugh didn't. The final score was misleading. 209 yards total offense against the Chickens? A measly 124 yards passing? Even if Harbaugh is a genius Alex Smith is going to be a major liability. This is a 6-8 win team until we get a real NFL QB. I don't think Harbaugh can make anything respectable out of Alex Smith, and the first game proves he knows it.
Didn't people already predict that our offense would have a tough time transitioning to the regular season because of the lockout?

I thought that was established a loooong time ago. That obviously happened in today's game, but we got the win, so why are people complaining?

Now, if we see the same sort of playcalling next week vs Dallas, who is looking very good right now, then we can start being concerned.

The pass pro was great, and the run blocking was awful, although against a very good Seattle run defense. Expect to see better things next week, or at least I hope.

Glad we got the win. Good win for the Niners, but we still have a long way to go. I think we should have understood that this was going to be a completely new offense with little time to prepare. Learning an entire new NFL offense in a month and a half is not enough.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
I hope so. I really do.

Thank you Ted Ginn.

How can you say we probably lose if we were winning? for heavens sake.

They were moving the ball on us after their half-time adjustments. It would have come down to the wire. "Probably would have lost" is too strong OK. But without Ginn the game was a coin flip.
Share 49ersWebzone