LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Nice win, but I'm still not happy about the play calling!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Cam Newton played one full year of college football. Then 5 weeks of NFL practice. And now he breaks records.

They decided to use him and let him throw the ball, that was a DECISION. Just like us running into a 10 man box was a decision, just like running on 3rd and long was a decision.

Now, if we see the same sort of playcalling next week vs Dallas, who is looking very good right now, then we can start being concerned.
-- I agree with this. We'll give it another week, but boy is this place going ape-s**t if we do the same thing next week and lose.

Smith will never have the moxie that Newton has. he just wont.

Ok, fine. But he doesn't need moxie, he needs passing plays. The line pass blocked great for Smith. We could have done a lot more with our passing game, but coaches were horrified of using Smith. I thought we would surprise people. I thought Harbaugh might actually let Smith make some plays, I was wrong. Harbaugh is even MORE terrified of letting Alex throw the ball then Nolantary was.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Didn't people already predict that our offense would have a tough time transitioning to the regular season because of the lockout?

I thought that was established a loooong time ago. That obviously happened in today's game, but we got the win, so why are people complaining?

Now, if we see the same sort of playcalling next week vs Dallas, who is looking very good right now, then we can start being concerned.

The pass pro was great, and the run blocking was awful, although against a very good Seattle run defense. Expect to see better things next week, or at least I hope.

Glad we got the win. Good win for the Niners, but we still have a long way to go. I think we should have understood that this was going to be a completely new offense with little time to prepare. Learning an entire new NFL offense in a month and a half is not enough.

Nicely said.

The only areas of the game that really bugged me today were the penalties. Seattle really helped out our offense and we won't be able to count on that sort of assistance on a weekly basis. Also, our D still seems to be susceptible to losing its head and coughing up a dumb penalty or two. Today was a vast improvement over last year, but still those are the sorta cheap giveaways that highly professional teams do not allow. I'm sure we'll continue to improve on that front.

All told, though, it was a pretty good game for a new regime with six weeks under its belt.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
I couldn't care less if we play a good game. I only care if we win.

The play calling and offense will improve as time goes on. The coaching staff has to get to know the players better, and the players need to get to know the playbook better. The offense will get better.

Alex was INCREDIBLY efficient today. 75% completions, no turnovers, amazing run for a TD. Absolutely zero blame on Alex this game. He was asked to do little and he over delivered given his responsibilities. Well done.
Which leads me to suspect Harbaugh is rebuilding AS from the ground up.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by boogie:
Just feel that the offense could have done more. Too conservative. Does Harbaugh not trust Smith? Almost felt like Singletary was via satellite calling the plays. :|

lol.

I think he trusts smith, but this was good for the larger picture. Give smith some confidence, let the teamates get confidence in him.. and he will come out of his shell.

Agree. Happy with the win and it will become more aggressive as the season goes on
[ Edited by tohara3 on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:07 PM ]
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Ok, fine. But he doesn't need moxie, he needs passing plays. The line pass blocked great for Smith. We could have done a lot more with our passing game, but coaches were horrified of using Smith. I thought we would surprise people. I thought Harbaugh might actually let Smith make some plays, I was wrong. Harbaugh is even MORE terrified of letting Alex throw the ball then Nolantary was.

i agree.
I don't think it's that Harbaugh doesn't trust Alex...he knows the offense still has a ways to go and doesn't want to overwhelm them. I was wanting them to go for six a couple of times, but JH wanted to make sure they got points. His defense was playing great, then Seattle made some halftime adjustments and looked much better in the 2nd half. The offense will open up more as the season unfolds...patience is in order. I know it's hard after so many years of futility, but Joe Montana said it a few weeks ago...fans will have to be patient while they learn Harbaugh's WCO. You win games with offense, defense, and ST's. All three had their moments in this win...the O will get better...just wait and see.
I went against my better judgement and came to check in on the Zone.... REALLY? We win and all some can do is harp on Alex? THe run game going nowhere was his fault. The lockout was his fault. Thw worlds population of bees declining is his fault.

GET OVER IT! Cant anyone enjoy a win for once? I keep seeing a few people in my minds-eye being upset we won. AS isn't the best in the league, but he had a good game today. I am hopeful for a competitive season this year and growth as an offense.

I follow the Niners for enjoyment and if I couldnt ever be positive about them (or optomistic....hopeful, etc), why the heck would i waste time?
Originally posted by Crown:

i agree.

it ha snothing to do with being terrified of usuing smith

it has to do with learning a complex WCO in 20 practices less for alex because he was a FA

if you think it takes that short of a time to master harbaughs playbook then i would say there is something wrong with that playbook
i must admit i kinda cringed when Alex dived into the endzone like that...ballzy, but that would've been our season right there
Cam Newton played one full year of college football. Then 5 weeks of NFL practice. And now he breaks records.

They decided to use him and let him throw the ball, that was a DECISION. Just like us running into a 10 man box was a decision, just like running on 3rd and long was a decision.

-- I agree with this. We'll give it another week, but boy is this place going ape-s**t if we do the same thing next week and lose.
Did they win? NO. I prefer a boring game manager and a W then a 400+ yards game against the same level of opponent and a 0-1. It's not like they had some choice as to pass pass pass. Dont get me wrong, Newton made some things happen but at the end of the day the complete outcome is what I care about.

And you dont know whether Alex has sth left in the tank and you dont know whether Newton will keep this level (at least nearly).

Originally posted by socalniner:
i must admit i kinda cringed when Alex dived into the endzone like that...ballzy, but that would've been our season right there

I enjoyed the Smith blocking for Gore run, but I cringed on that play too.
Originally posted by socalniner:

If he didn't he'd be called a b***h
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Agreed, I think Gore has definitely lost a step or two. He looks like he's wearing down and its probably time to think about Hunter as a 3rd down back and having Dixon on goal line situations. That being said, it looks like the same old s**t from #11, high throws, check downs, and missing wide open WRs.

What game were you watching? Honestly

Well, it's like ground hog's day with Alex....Same s**t different season and with another new coach, because its never #11's fault.

LOL. High throws and missing open WRs, wtf?
I counted about 3 high passes from Alex including one in the end zone to Edwards who was open and there is absolutely no excuse for missing a wide open Crabs for a TD instead he did his patented check down to Gore. Both of those plays would have put the game away early rather than kicking FGs.

He wasnt wide open when he looked to his next option. Or do you know nothing about the game?
Its called being calm and collected, reading the defense and throwing to a spot where the WR is going to be which would have netted a TD to Crabs. Checking down just seems like the safer option for Alex and we've seen this for the past 6 seasons. However, your infatuation with Alex is only blinding you from seeing the reality of the situation.
[ Edited by obx49 on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:21 PM ]
Originally posted by communist:
Did they win? NO. I prefer a boring game manager and a W then a 400+ yards game against the same level of opponent and a 0-1. It's not like they had some choice as to pass pass pass. Dont get me wrong, Newton made some things happen but at the end of the day the complete outcome is what I care about.

And you dont know whether Alex has sth left in the tank and you dont know whether Newton will keep this level (at least nearly).

One thing that I saw on the highlights of the AZ game was that the Cardinals defense had too many lapses allowing the big plays. The 49ers defense didn't make many crucial mistakes today.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Baby steps brother, baby steps. Jim kept it simple in order to prevent any silly mistakes with a brand new playbook. Week by week new pages in the playbook will be turned.

yep, its not about one game. gotta think big picture here
Share 49ersWebzone