There are 288 users in the forums

How come nobody believes in this team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Statistically speaking, an NFL coach makes his big leap in year two and the likelihood of making a big leap in year one is very small. As a fan, I approach this year with as much (jaded) optimism as usual.

The problem is this: We've had "talented teams" for years, but until we establish a top flight O-line and a credible pass rush, we're going nowhere fast.

Maybe we'll get lucky on one of those fronts this year. Who know? Maybe we'll even make the playoffs. But we're not going to get lucky on both fronts and we're not going to become a wrecking ball this year.

This *is* a rebuilding year. With luck, the last.

Given our schedule, a winning record seems out of the question, so winning the West seems like the most viable goal. Unfortunately, I don't see us out gunning the Rams.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Championship.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
By the way I was watching this video on 49ers.com. I never actually seen John York talk before. He doesn't seem that bad of a guy

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Gore-Signs-Through-2014/00b39659-4b16-4dff-ba9c-3da9cc9fe579#?id=f3f12d11-7b3f-4244-914c-9fd45174e34d

The video i'm talking about is "49ers Attend Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance"
why i am positive

this team has the best skill players in the west (as a unit and no qb talk)
the dline should be somewhere near as good as previous year... (just hoping soap can perform as well as last years franklin in the least)
hopefully the d lines ability should translate to the lb's and just make their game better...i just think we have more then 1 or 2 horses now, i probaly have my special red n gold glasses on but im really starting to think that the light is starting to come on for brooks. it may be on a dimmer but hes actually made it through a entire camp and he's caught the eye with some plays sometimes been average but he hasn't been crappy. as long as i block out the memory of kolb breaking bowmans ankles i remain positve about this dude. when hes get to the ball carrier the play ends he is a live wire out there.
the coaching staff...even though the oline is still really really shabby
its a new year anything is possible
Originally posted by Allx9er:
why i am positive

this team has the best skill players in the west (as a unit and no qb talk)
the dline should be somewhere near as good as previous year... (just hoping soap can perform as well as last years franklin in the least)
hopefully the d lines ability should translate to the lb's and just make their game better...i just think we have more then 1 or 2 horses now, i probaly have my special red n gold glasses on but im really starting to think that the light is starting to come on for brooks. it may be on a dimmer but hes actually made it through a entire camp and he's caught the eye with some plays sometimes been average but he hasn't been crappy. as long as i block out the memory of kolb breaking bowmans ankles i remain positve about this dude. when hes get to the ball carrier the play ends he is a live wire out there.
the coaching staff...even though the oline is still really really shabby
its a new year anything is possible

Sorry boss, I'm all for giving a fellow the benefit of the doubt, but I quit reading your post at, "The D-line should be somewhere near as good as the previous year."

We won't do squat with last year's pass rush.
People will start believing when they start winning. And hopefully that will be in week 1 against the Seahawks. And just because people predict that the Rams will be the team to beat does not mean that they will be. Every year there are teams that both disappoint an "exceed expectations." Predicting is tricky because there are a lot of variables involved. I just can't wait to see some creativity from the Niners--and I think that it's coming.
I believe this team can be a playoff team and win 8-9 games this season
Because football is not a religion. Or is it?
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Because football is not a religion. Or is it?

Ask this man
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Predicted record: 4-12
How excited can you get? The defense could be brutal, the offensive line looks like a sieve so far and the quarterback has already failed numerous times as a starter in the past. It is hard to envision the 49ers competing with any of the elite teams on their schedule.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/08/30/nfc.west.preview/1.html

Originally posted by Otter:
How excited can you get? The defense could be brutal, the offensive line looks like a sieve so far and the quarterback has already failed numerous times as a starter in the past. It is hard to envision the 49ers competing with any of the elite teams on their schedule.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/08/30/nfc.west.preview/1.html

do they mean brutal as in "awesome" or as in "hurts to watch" ?

I'm guessing the latter.

again, predictions mean little, but I'm glad that we're not expected to do much. Reverse the curse of expectations.

anyway, they also predict the Rams to get to 8 wins. Looking at their schedule, in the first 8 games, they would really only be favored in 1. That either means the Rams have to be much, much better than they appear to be in order to tread water in that time, or else SI is predicting that they go on a torrid 6-8 game win streak to close out the season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I think we will win more then 4 games. Maybe 5 or 6

i see nothing wrong with peter kings's analysis. i agree with his main point, which is it's gonna take time. 2-3 years for this team to become elite.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I believe
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

i see nothing wrong with peter kings's analysis. i agree with his main point, which is it's gonna take time. 2-3 years for this team to become elite.

Elite?

Yeah, that's optimistic. And I'm normally pretty optimistic about the Niners.
Share 49ersWebzone