LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 197 users in the forums

How come nobody believes in this team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Otter:
Predicted record: 4-12
How excited can you get? The defense could be brutal, the offensive line looks like a sieve so far and the quarterback has already failed numerous times as a starter in the past. It is hard to envision the 49ers competing with any of the elite teams on their schedule.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/08/30/nfc.west.preview/1.html

i see nothing wrong with peter kings's analysis. i agree with his main point, which is it's gonna take time. 2-3 years for this team to become elite.

Elite?

Yeah, that's optimistic. And I'm normally pretty optimistic about the Niners.

assuming we get a legit qb of course, which i think is harbaughs main objective
Originally posted by Otter:
Predicted record: 4-12
How excited can you get? The defense could be brutal, the offensive line looks like a sieve so far and the quarterback has already failed numerous times as a starter in the past. It is hard to envision the 49ers competing with any of the elite teams on their schedule.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/08/30/nfc.west.preview/1.html

i see nothing wrong with peter kings's analysis. i agree with his main point, which is it's gonna take time. 2-3 years for this team to become elite.

Elite?

Yeah, that's optimistic. And I'm normally pretty optimistic about the Niners.

assuming we get a legit qb of course, which i think is harbaughs main objective

Right. A good coach with a good FO can fix the pass rush and O-line within that window. A franchise QB, however, there's some luck involved there and I'd wager we're both talking out of our tail pipes if we can put a time frame on that.
Sorry boss, I'm all for giving a fellow the benefit of the doubt, but I quit reading your post at, "The D-line should be somewhere near as good as the previous year."

We won't do squat with last year's pass rush.

I disagree-its a new cast and puppeteer. You may argue not, but there are new starters at several positions, the only problem I foresee in the beginning is the unit becomes cohesive, the puppeteer's 3-4, is by all accounts more aggressive than the past-we will see. I mean, even I wondered, since Willis is one of the best, why he wan't given the green light to blitz more. Fangio will allow this more- I expect Willis Aldon and Brookes to be alternating and sometime combining with Whitner on those blitz packages.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Because football is not a religion. Or is it?

I think in Texas and places like Pittsburg it is
Originally posted by HessianDud:
do they mean brutal as in "awesome" or as in "hurts to watch" ?

I'm guessing the latter.

again, predictions mean little, but I'm glad that we're not expected to do much. Reverse the curse of expectations.

anyway, they also predict the Rams to get to 8 wins. Looking at their schedule, in the first 8 games, they would really only be favored in 1. That either means the Rams have to be much, much better than they appear to be in order to tread water in that time, or else SI is predicting that they go on a torrid 6-8 game win streak to close out the season.

As you stated games are hard to predict. Some teams seem AWESOME, but for some reason they get beaten by someone unexpected, but if you delve deep sometimes that upset is because they just happen to matchup well. As much as people hated Clements-for some reason he did well against Fritz, but struggled against lessor wr because they were shiftier.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Sorry boss, I'm all for giving a fellow the benefit of the doubt, but I quit reading your post at, "The D-line should be somewhere near as good as the previous year."

I disagree-its a new cast and puppeteer. You may argue not, but there are new starters at several positions, the only problem I foresee in the beginning is the unit becomes cohesive, the puppeteer's 3-4, is by all accounts more aggressive than the past-we will see. I mean, even I wondered, since Willis is one of the best, why he wan't given the green light to blitz more. Fangio will allow this more- I expect Willis Aldon and Brookes to be alternating and sometime combining with Whitner on those blitz packages.

I agree regarding trusting Fangio to be more aggressive on the play calling front, clearly he won't be calling Manusky's 3-4 with a 4-3 mindset defense. But I have a heck of a time seeing this D-line getting too many QB's pants dirty. As you say, and I certainly agree, we'll see.

Ultimately, what we need is some life on the weak side. Setting the edge is all good and well, but you've gotta be credible over there, and we haven't for longer than I care to remember. Unfortunately, that makes our "dynamic" 3-4 quite predictable. You double up the good Smith and zone block the middle.

Final edit, I swear--I do tend to rant when it comes to our trenches. When we demonstrate that we can control the screen, I might start believing. Until then, we'll see.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Sep 1, 2011 at 12:13 PM ]

I agree regarding trusting Fangio to be more aggressive on the play calling front, clearly he won't be calling Manusky's 3-4 with a 4-3 mindset defense. But I have a heck of a time seeing this D-line getting too many QB's pants dirty. As you say, and I certainly agree, we'll see.

Ultimately, what we need is some life on the weak side. Setting the edge is all good and well, but you've gotta be credible over there, and we haven't for longer than I care to remember. Unfortunately, that makes our "dynamic" 3-4 quite predictable. You double up the good Smith and zone block the middle.
do you think that the line is suppose to generate the rush?
Originally posted by Allx9er:

I see what you're getting at, but you do need to have a native rush capability, even in the 3-4. That's the thing that makes the 3-4 so tricky, you really need the right players to make it pop. When it does, look out.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Sep 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Allx9er:

I see what you're getting at, but you do need to have a native rush capability, even in the 3-4.
yes you do and i think they have that ability
I think we have a better coaching staff, and that will translate into some decent performances on the field. How's that for positive?

Honestly, if Harbaugh really is the second coming of Bill Walsh, we will see a bad team with good moments. In other words, we'll be able to stomach the losses a little easier because it will be plainly obvious for anyone to see that we are improving with each and every game. The losses will get closer -- but they will still be losses.

I still remember BW's first and only 2-14 season. Believe it or not, it wasn't that terrible because you could see something special happening on the field. You knew the team was getting better. You knew something was going to click at some point. That is my hope -- to see a repeat of this type of growth.

Final edit, I swear--I do tend to rant when it comes to our trenches. When we demonstrate that we can control the screen, I might start believing. Until then, we'll see.

This is what I see we will make big plays but get burned too at times-live by the sword (blitz), die by the sword. Fangio by all accounts will give his DL more freedom than Munasky did, in M's version it was hold the line and gaps first then push it upfield. Our pass D will improve but the run D will slip a little.

This is what I see we will make big plays but get burned too at times-live by the sword (blitz), die by the sword. Fangio by all accounts will give his DL more freedom than Munasky did, in M's version it was hold the line and gaps first then push it upfield. Our pass D will improve but the run D will slip a little.

If we are stunting often, that alone may help against the screen pass.

WHO BELIEVES IN THIS TEAM?

NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (except us)

Share 49ersWebzone