There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

when will/should the starters be named?

Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Like I've said, the lock-out has given JH and other NFL coaches a free pass, so I want to hold my judgement until perhaps next season.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and you have a logical argument, but do you really think if JH went ahead and treated the 3rd pre-season game as a "dress rehearsal" it would significantly improve what happens in the regular season? One single pre-season game? Is it really that critical?

ok, now we are talking turkey. as far as the one game being the end all be all. youre absolutely right, its just one preseason game. but where is the confidence supposed to come from if its not going to come in the preseason? right now id imagine our locker rooms confidence and continuity is pretty low. with only 12 days to go before the season opener, i think its obvious we pretty much wasted the preseason and we never used it as an opportunity to get better with our starting units. harbaugh himself said he wanted to evaluate his backups while everyone else was fine tuning their teams for the regular season. i just dont see why he has to piss into the wind.

an opportunity lost is lost forever.

Didn't know you were there. Tell us more.

To be fair, he said "I'd imagine" -- meaning he's just making a guess.

do i really need to link up all the articles floating around that say the same thing? how the oline admittedly got owned? how the qbs are laying on the turf more then upright. how gore is upset, how crabs still hasnt practiced, how numerous positions still dont have starters.... yeah what am i saying, they must be the most confident bunch in the nfl. what do they have to worry about?
This is Niner Talk. What do you think?

so now we are speaking for other members?

Dude, chillax!!!

One freakin game in a lockout shortened season with a new coach learning his players. If and ever, give him till the 3rd or 4th game of the season to start complaining about his mistakes/whatever. By then, you'd at least see what type of coach he is, whether he is a good fit or not.

Hell, we've been in the cellar for so long that I'm sure we can NOT PAY ATTENTION TO ONE FREAKING PRESEASON GAME and make an accurate assestment by it. Even if he did not follow the norm.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Like I've said, the lock-out has given JH and other NFL coaches a free pass, so I want to hold my judgement until perhaps next season.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and you have a logical argument, but do you really think if JH went ahead and treated the 3rd pre-season game as a "dress rehearsal" it would significantly improve what happens in the regular season? One single pre-season game? Is it really that critical?

ok, now we are talking turkey. as far as the one game being the end all be all. youre absolutely right, its just one preseason game. but where is the confidence supposed to come from if its not going to come in the preseason? right now id imagine our locker rooms confidence and continuity is pretty low. with only 12 days to go before the season opener, i think its obvious we pretty much wasted the preseason and we never used it as an opportunity to get better with our starting units. harbaugh himself said he wanted to evaluate his backups while everyone else was fine tuning their teams for the regular season. i just dont see why he has to piss into the wind.

To be fair, the thread was made with a "THE SKY IS FALLING!" mentality based off ONE PRESEASON GAME.

To be fair, the thread was made with a "THE SKY IS FALLING!" mentality based off ONE PRESEASON GAME.

actually the op doesnt even mention the 3rd preseason game. its simply discusses the fact that we still dont have starters named and the season is upon us.

actually the op doesnt even mention the 3rd preseason game. its simply discusses the fact that we still dont have starters named and the season is upon us.

Oh, mah bad, let me retract and say...

To be fair, the thread was made with a "THE SKY IS FALLING!" mentality based off the fact that we still dont have starters named and the season is upon us.

Sounds better?

Hopefully they name the starters in house soon, IMO dont let the media/fans know until minutes before kickoff.

To be fair, the thread was made with a "THE SKY IS FALLING!" mentality based off the fact that we still dont have starters named and the season is upon us.

Sounds better?

it sounds more accurate to what you are trying to convey but i dont agree, not even a lil bit. if you dont think that its cause for concern then you must not have very big expectations for the season which i can understand. but show me one other team in the nfl that still has so many unnamed starters at this point? you cant do it because all of the other coaches in the nfl have already named their starters and started them last game for 3 qrts.

the sky isnt falling, not yet anyways. but its sure is freaking cloudy!

Sounds better?

And to be honest, there aren't many starters that are left either unknown or unnamed. EVERYONE knows that Alex is the starter, whether Harbaugh says it or not. There are only a few unknown starting spots yet.

WOLB - Smith or Haralson?
FS - Goldson, Williams, Spillman, or Reggie?
RG - Snyder or Rachal?
FB - Norris or Miller

Today Brown was named the starter at CB, and Goodwin at C. Now I don't think Brown will last long once Spencer is healthy, but as of now, there are really only four unsettled spots in reality.

Sounds better?

And to be honest, there aren't many starters that are left either unknown or unnamed. EVERYONE knows that Alex is the starter, whether Harbaugh says it or not. There are only a few unknown starting spots yet.

RG - Snyder or Rachal?
FB - Norris or Miller

Today Brown was named the starter at CB, and Goodwin at C. Now I don't think Brown will last long once Spencer is healthy, but as of now, there are really only four unsettled spots in reality.

THANK YOU!

RG - Snyder or Rachal?
FB - Norris or Miller

thats comforting i dont know why it took so long for him to beat out snyder. you happen to have a link for that?

you still have edwards at wr who still may or may not start. thats alot of players not named 12 days before the season starts. 5 players is still about 25% of the starting roster. and before today it was even more. you say only 4 players but that still almost 20% of the starting roster.
[ Edited by OptimusPrime52 on Aug 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM ]
thats comforting i dont know why it took so long for him to beat out snyder. you happen to have a link for that?

you still have edwards at wr who still may or may not start. thats alot of players not named 12 days before the season starts. 5 players is still about 25% of the starting roster. and before today it was even more. you say only 4 players but that still almost 20% of the starting roster.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/08/goodwin-brown-to-start-49ers-preseason-finale.html
ty otc

RG - Snyder or Rachal?
FB - Norris or Miller

I find it interesting that Harbaugh said in todays interview that the OL has 7 starters. Does that mean Boone and Snyder are in the mix to start?
Originally posted by kezar49er:

RG - Snyder or Rachal?
FB - Norris or Miller

I find it interesting that Harbaugh said in todays interview that the OL has 7 starters. Does that mean Boone and Snyder are in the mix to start?

Snyder, yes. Boone? Don't know. The only others he could be talking about are Wragge or Kilgore, and although Kilgore's been good, it's probably not him.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home