LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

when will/should the starters be named?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by susweel:
JH doesn't want to show his package so soon.

Originally posted by Howlett:
You can practice your starters but you don't have to name them starters to pactice them as starters. Unless the Seahawks are spying on practice how would they know who the Niners are starting?

and you think thats actually fooling anybody? everybody knows who the likely starters are(edwards, crabs, goldson, goodwin, etc) not naming them is only adding to confusion and continuity problems imo.
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
In my opinion, starters for the defense, offense and special teams should have been announced just after the Raiders game. Harbaugh will say he hasn't had enough time to evaluate players because of the lockout. But because of the lockout he needs to announce the starters early so they each know where they stand and can start focusing in bonding with working together.

The OL needs to start studying the Seahawks now. The second string (scout team) needs to simulate the Seahawks D. The coaches must stop expecting the players to "cram" their lessons with new topics. Let them master what they've got. Hold back some of that d**m playbook already. Do you really need 100 plays in the first game? Practice 40 until the players are precise, then add more.

this is my thought process as well. not naming the starters isnt helping anybody imho.

Harbaugh seems stuck on "evaluating." Kevin Lynch on KNBR noted Harbaugh early in training camp noted that he didn't want to cut a talented player simply because he was evaluated correctly. But the reality is that there isn't time enough for a complete evaluation. Get a team (the best team you can reckon) ready to play. Stop any new plays and formations for now. The OL obviously needs to stop thinking about their duties so they can simply act and attack.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I think Ginn is on the bubble and the coaches want to see as much of him as possible to make a better informed decision. Pre-season is the time to do that.

I agree the starters need much more time together under game conditions. I don't feel the team will noticeably gel until the 5-6 game and I don't see them playing more in pre-season solving that.

I dont see how Ginn is on the bubble.

He has been one of our best WRS this offseason. Deserves a spot.

Rather give him a Return responsibilities. And not a rook, or someone with the dropsies.
You can practice your starters but you don't have to name them starters to pactice them as starters. Unless the Seahawks are spying on practice how would they know who the Niners are starting?

and you think thats actually fooling anybody? everybody knows who the likely starters are(edwards, crabs, goldson, goodwin, etc) not naming them is only adding to confusion and continuity problems imo.

If everyone knows who the starters are then why did you make this thread? Yeah I could prob tell you who the starters are but your the one who is soo concerned about finding out now. Naming starters and building continuity have nothing to do with eachother. Harbaugh tries to divulge as little info as possible. I like that. I don't need to hear the starters announced. I already know who they are!!! Why does it matter!?
To answer your question when will/should the starters be named? No they shouldn't be named. Because it doesn't f**king matter!

Who is it confusing? You?
If everyone knows who the starters are then why did you make this thread? Yeah I could prob tell you who the starters are but your the one who is soo concerned about finding out now. Naming starters and building continuity have nothing to do with eachother. Harbaugh tries to divulge as little info as possible. I like that. I don't need to hear the starters announced. I already know who they are!!! Why does it matter!?

are you for realz? im sorry but i cant have a conversation with someone who doesnt realize that continuity comes from starting/playing together. and you cant do that if you havent even been named a starter.

Originally posted by susweel:
JH doesn't want to show his package so soon.

First Dingleberry mooned his players in the locker room and now JH may show his package.....OMG....

i guess you havent been watching the preseason games? our whole team looks like a bunch of confused fools to me.

are you for realz? im sorry but i cant have a conversation with someone who doesnt realize that continuity comes from starting/playing together. and you cant do that if you havent even been named a starter.

You are a RETARD. You can build continuity by practicing your starters together. They just don't have to be named starters. "Oh sorry Braylon" says A.Smith, "I can't practice with you because you haven't been named a starter." Lol. Even my girlfriend is laughing at you.

i guess you havent been watching the preseason games? our whole team looks like a bunch of confused fools to me.

I watch the games. Has nothing to do with the neccesity to name a starter.
this is my thought process as well. not naming the starters isnt helping anybody imho.

It's not helping you, you mean.

Just because it's not being reported to you who the starters are (how inconvenient ) doesn't mean that Ginn and Morgan are going to be, or even the starters at the time.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Harbaugh seems stuck on "evaluating." Kevin Lynch on KNBR noted Harbaugh early in training camp noted that he didn't want to cut a talented player simply because he was evaluated correctly. But the reality is that there isn't time enough for a complete evaluation. Get a team (the best team you can reckon) ready to play. Stop any new plays and formations for now. The OL obviously needs to stop thinking about their duties so they can simply act and attack.

in this shortened off season he should be imo just trying to install the offense and use this regular season to evaluate our team. in all honesty he doesnt have much choice. you have what you have now and its your job to make it work and get them playing up to par. the fa peroid is basically over and you have had time to add players. now that you have added them get them in there and get them ready. how is playing a bunch of guys who are going to get cut and be backups helping us get ready for the season? can someone please explain that to me?

then on the other side you have a playoff calibur team in houston and what are they doing in the 3rd preseason game? playing their starters for 3 qrts and getting ready for the season like i have seen done by every team for that past 20+ years. not to mention this was a shortened off season so playing time is more valuable this year and we are wasting it evaluating backups?
You are a RETARD. You can build continuity by practicing your starters together. They just don't have to be named starters. "Oh sorry Braylon" says A.Smith, "I can't practice with you because you haven't been named a starter." Lol. Even my girlfriend is laughing at you.

thats a personal attack..

how can you have an effective practice when you cant even hit the qb during practice? bro you dont have any idea what you are talking about!!!! live game action when a play breaks down and the defense is trying to kill you is how continuity is built. not by wearing a red jersey that says dont hit me!
[ Edited by OptimusPrime52 on Aug 30, 2011 at 1:39 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone