There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Its time for Harbaugh to send a message

Originally posted by Marvin49:
I think he knows that.

What he's saying is that classically LT are smaller, quicker players while RTs are larger lumbering players.

The reason is because teams put their uber-fast pass-rusher on the QBs blind side and bigger run-stuffing players on the other end.

Staley is smaller and quicker than Davis.

EDIT: ...and BTW, I'm responding to 49erThrowback

The impressive thing about Davis -- at least in college -- was his foot speed and agility for such a big dude, that made him an outstanding LT. Which elevated his draft stock considerably.

Maybe part of the Niners' problem is that a lot of elite pass rushers are not only fast but large and strong, and Staley not only gets beat but beaten up. Sheesh, wonder if he belongs at guard...
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Anthony Davis played for Rutgers. Just sayin'....

Brain fart. Usually I let them go in private.

Funny how that happens. I'd been looking for BJ Raji's stats to compare them with Ian Williams's, and somehow BC got stuck in my head. Even when I consciously know that Davis was a Scarlet Knight.


Typical f**kin Niners drafting a player that excelled at a specific position in college only to switch him when he gets to the NFL, waisting time and lowering probablity of success.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Anthony Davis played for Rutgers. Just sayin'....

Brain fart. Usually I let them go in private.

Funny how that happens. I'd been looking for BJ Raji's stats to compare them with Ian Williams's, and somehow BC got stuck in my head. Even when I consciously know that Davis was a Scarlet Knight.


Typical f**kin Niners drafting a player that excelled at a specific position in college only to switch him when he gets to the NFL, waisting time and lowering probablity of success.

Uh...its a fairly common practice. Staley played well at RT as a rookie.

Its not like guys can't play well at RT so they get moves to LT. It usually more like if they DO play well at RT they will get moved.

Thats what the Ravens did with Michael Oher.
Oher has struggled at LT, and the Ravens are in the same boat as the Niners as Cousins isn't fairing well at RT.
The message is " I'm overwhelmed this year"
Originally posted by Handlesit:
V as in Vision! WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!


V as in Vanishing Act!! Whoooooooooooo!!
i fully endorse this thread. staley has gotten a pass since day one. he has never been that good, at best he's been mediocre. for some reason this fanbase turned a blind eye because they like his little videos on 49ers.com or because weasel maiocco has constantly tried to put the idea in people's heads that the dude is borderline pro bowl. always been awful to mediocre. enough already.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Jeez...you guys need to get off your high horse.

All you guys remember is Eddie D and the Glory days after Walsh had installed the O and it had been in place for YEARS. You don't remember Joe Thomas, OJ Simpson, and a host of others.

IT TAKES TIME!!

Joe Thomas' name should not be allowed to be uttered in the WZ.
Originally posted by susweel:
If JH really wants to send a message to this team he needs to bench Joe Staley and start Boone at LT. Staley has played awful all pre season getting beat and blowing assignments. If he really wants to send a message that it doesn't matter what your contract is or where you were drafted and that you will held accountable for your play on the field then he needs to make this move.

This would send a message in the locker room that nobodies job is safe and you must perform to keep your job.

Come on Jim the ball is in your court, send a clear message to your team.


Last season people seem to forget that when Staley went down, the OL looked better with Sims at LT than Staley. I mentioned this on the zone and got persecuted that Staley is the best LT on the team.

Early camp reports where saying how Aldon Smith was schooling Staley on passs rush drills, but not Boone. So a back up OLB can school our starting LT, but not our back up LT.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by susweel:
If JH really wants to send a message to this team he needs to bench Joe Staley and start Boone at LT. Staley has played awful all pre season getting beat and blowing assignments. If he really wants to send a message that it doesn't matter what your contract is or where you were drafted and that you will held accountable for your play on the field then he needs to make this move.

This would send a message in the locker room that nobodies job is safe and you must perform to keep your job.

Come on Jim the ball is in your court, send a clear message to your team.


Last season people seem to forget that when Staley went down, the OL looked better with Sims at LT than Staley. I mentioned this on the zone and got persecuted that Staley is the best LT on the team.

Early camp reports where saying how Aldon Smith was schooling Staley on passs rush drills, but not Boone. So a back up OLB can school our starting LT, but not our back up LT.

Whoa!!!

If there's any position on the team that is going to struggle the most due to the lockout and short offseason, it's the offensive linemen.

They didn't have a "Camp Alex" in terms of playing out the playbook. They have a lot to learn and apply.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by susweel:
If JH really wants to send a message to this team he needs to bench Joe Staley and start Boone at LT. Staley has played awful all pre season getting beat and blowing assignments. If he really wants to send a message that it doesn't matter what your contract is or where you were drafted and that you will held accountable for your play on the field then he needs to make this move.

This would send a message in the locker room that nobodies job is safe and you must perform to keep your job.

Come on Jim the ball is in your court, send a clear message to your team.


Last season people seem to forget that when Staley went down, the OL looked better with Sims at LT than Staley. I mentioned this on the zone and got persecuted that Staley is the best LT on the team.

Early camp reports where saying how Aldon Smith was schooling Staley on passs rush drills, but not Boone. So a back up OLB can school our starting LT, but not our back up LT.

Whoa!!!

If there's any position on the team that is going to struggle the most due to the lockout and short offseason, it's the offensive linemen.

They didn't have a "Camp Alex" in terms of playing out the playbook. They have a lot to learn and apply.

I think the QB would struggle more than the line. The o line was getting beat on straright, vanilla defenses.
Staley has made mistakes this preseason, but at least a couple mistakes were made by Iupati....and it looked like Staley's fault. Anyways, Staley will probably be fine. His 1st year at RT and his 2nd at LT were very solid! He was just hurt the last 2 years. If any Oline starters need to sit, they are Rachal and Davis.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 28,172
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Anthony Davis played for Rutgers. Just sayin'....

Brain fart. Usually I let them go in private.

Funny how that happens. I'd been looking for BJ Raji's stats to compare them with Ian Williams's, and somehow BC got stuck in my head. Even when I consciously know that Davis was a Scarlet Knight.


Typical f**kin Niners drafting a player that excelled at a specific position in college only to switch him when he gets to the NFL, waisting time and lowering probablity of success.

You do realize it is very common in the NFL that a player plays on one side of the line only to be moved to the other when he gets to the pro's right ?

-The Bears are doing it with Carimi right now.

-The Rams did it with Jason Smith (although the original intention was to move him over eventually Saffold has earned the right to stay on the left)

-The Packers did it with Bulaga.

-The Jets moved Ducasse from being an LT in college to an LG in the pro's and now over to RT.

-The Bengals did it with Andre Smith

-The Vikings did it with Phil Loadholt.

-The Panthers did it with Jeff Otah.

Should all these OL coaches across the league be fired for attempting to do the same ? And keep in mind the above list is only of players drafted after Staley in recent years and who were high draft picks.
Originally posted by swim4speed:
Staley has made mistakes this preseason, but at least a couple mistakes were made by Iupati....and it looked like Staley's fault. Anyways, Staley will probably be fine. His 1st year at RT and his 2nd at LT were very solid! He was just hurt the last 2 years. If any Oline starters need to sit, they are Rachal and Davis.

Cant believe Im saying this but Rachal has been doing "ok" this off-season, if judged purely on this preseason without knowledge of prior history one would think he is our 2nd or 3rd best lineman. Davis is just flat out getting beat, and the sad part is that its not really physically but more mentally, he's thinking too much and he isnt confident in any move he makes. One of the plays he triple checks the inside man who got passed to Rachal and let the outside guy run right around him and never touched anyone, just one of many mental errors. Hopefully it's youth and money, but he needs to find professionalism fast to reshape his body and study the play book or else he will be a huge bust. He is a good run blocker but could be soo much better in that area too.
Not for nothing, but Davis played RT his freshman year at Rutgers.