LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Its time for Harbaugh to send a message

Shop Find 49ers gear online
For years, ever since Nolan took over the team, the O-line has been inconsistent at best when it comes to pass protection. Not sure what the cause of the problem. Maybe a combination of drafting athletic players but a bit on the raw side, then lack of consistent offense and coaching. I'm envious of and have seen other teams have young talents on their line and it gets fixed within a couple of years and be consistent. This team can't seem to turn the corner. It's one thing when your OTs are struggling, they generally goes against the best pass rushers on the defense, but to have your guards struggling in pass protection in Iupati and Rachal.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
For years, ever since Nolan took over the team, the O-line has been inconsistent at best when it comes to pass protection. Not sure what the cause of the problem. Maybe a combination of drafting athletic players but a bit on the raw side, then lack of consistent offense and coaching. I'm envious of and have seen other teams have young talents on their line and it gets fixed within a couple of years and be consistent. This team can't seem to turn the corner. It's one thing when your OTs are struggling, they generally goes against the best pass rushers on the defense, but to have your guards struggling in pass protection in Iupati and Rachal.

Those other young linemen on other teams probably have veteran OL around them who understand the offense inside and out. None of our OL understand the offense due to OC turnover. There's no one who can really help and guide the young OLmen because everyone is trying to learn the system.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Joecool:

Those other young linemen on other teams probably have veteran OL around them who understand the offense inside and out. None of our OL understand the offense due to OC turnover. There's no one who can really help and guide the young OLmen because everyone is trying to learn the system.

Also our so called best lineman and captain of the line is Joe Staley. Cant really lead and guide others when you are getting beat and having mental errors yourself.
Originally posted by susweel:

Also our so called best lineman and captain of the line is Joe Staley. Cant really lead and guide others when you are getting beat and having mental errors yourself.

His pass blocking is probably 3rd best out of our OL. The fact that Simms came in last year and we didn't miss a beat on pass blocking (we actually improved) makes me think Staley should be a RT where he was solid his rookie season.

Why not try Davis at LT? Who knows, it could be more comfortable for him.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:

His pass blocking is probably 3rd best out of our OL. The fact that Simms came in last year and we didn't miss a beat on pass blocking (we actually improved) makes me think Staley should be a RT where he was solid his rookie season.

If he continues to have a bad year I bet you he will be asked to take a pay or get cut next year.

I'd agree with you there and if that doesn't work out how about trying him at RG where he can get help from both sides.
Share 49ersWebzone