LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Realistic Season Expectations

Shop Find 49ers gear online
My expectations are low to begin with (See PYMWYMI thread) so I'm cool, chillaxed, ex-lax'd.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by kidash:
My realistic expectation?

For all the "WOE IS ME, WE ARE DOOMED!" naysayers to chillax after watching 1 PRESEASON GAME! A lot already mentioned that we were ill prepared for that game and even the coach admittedly stated that he was watching for production vs. winning the game.

Seriously, folks, have a drink (whatever you fancy) and chill for few... It's a long season and we are in for growing pains.

haha yeah i realistically expect this thread to turn into an A.Smith thread and get locked. HAH!

I'm out

LOL same here and just wating for it to happen.

• Jiks
I'm expecting play-offs. We were one game behind last season and I feel we have a much better coaching staff and offensive system. If we don't start 0-5 again, I see the whole NFC West being in contention. I see no reason we shouldn't win at the very least 6 games this season.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Its so pathetic how some fans can't even stand to have someone criticize their boy Alex Smith.

They call the slightest bit of criticism 'hating' or 'being ignorant'

Lmao! Alex could throw 6 INTs in a playoff game (if we ever make it there with him), have 3 of them returned for TDs, but his fans would still figure out some excuse to use.

Why is it that anytime he plays bad or makes a mistake, it is automatically blamed on another player, coach, etc? I'm not saying that everything that goes wrong with this team is because of him. That would be foolish to believe. But at the same time, how come people don't want to hold him accountable for the mistakes he makes which are in no way because of anyone other than him?
It's not the fact people can't stand it... It's the fact that we've heard the same thing coming from both sides for 6 years now. There is no new breaking news, there are no new stories, it is what it is. For every excuse on side has the next side has just as many. It's a never ending argument until the season actually starts. By continuosly arguing over it, this is where our fan-base has become so poor. We are divided, and people seem to dis-like each other over it. It's just sad to be part of such a split fan-base. It's hard to come around these boards anymore due to it.
Its so pathetic how some fans can't even stand to have someone criticize their boy Alex Smith.

Lmao! Alex could throw 6 INTs in a playoff game (if we ever make it there with him), have 3 of them returned for TDs, but his fans would still figure out some excuse to use.

Why is it that anytime he plays bad or makes a mistake, it is automatically blamed on another player, coach, etc? I'm not saying that everything that goes wrong with this team is because of him. That would be foolish to believe. But at the same time, how come people don't want to hold him accountable for the mistakes he makes which are in no way because of anyone other than him?
I hear ya! We even had one guy make a request to the mods to have certain rules on Alex Smith threads (I.E nothing but happy thoughts comments toward Alex).

However I do understand there are Alex haters who go overboard but we definitely have supporters who do the same!

K name me a QB that would of done anything with that O-Line on friday?

And NO I do not like Alex Smith.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
It's not the fact people can't stand it... It's the fact that we've heard the same thing coming from both sides for 6 years now. There is no new breaking news, there are no new stories, it is what it is. For every excuse on side has the next side has just as many. It's a never ending argument until the season actually starts. By continuosly arguing over it, this is where our fan-base has become so poor. We are divided, and people seem to dis-like each other over it. It's just sad to be part of such a split fan-base. It's hard to come around these boards anymore due to it.

I hear ya, but this should not split our fan base. The only problem is that this type of issue would not arise on any other team. No other team would keep a #1 pick around for so long who has consistently underperformed, whether that be because of his own bad play or surrounding cast, coaching etc.

I know theres nothing we can do about it, because the reason he is here is not the fault or doing of the fans, just the management. The only way we can prevent a 'split fan base' is if people learn to respect each others' opinions on the player without getting defensive or taking it personally. Once we begin to argue on a fan forum like fans who care about the game and the team, we will find it less hostile to discuss a topic about the QB on their favorite team...
I hear ya, but this should not split our fan base. The only problem is that this type of issue would not arise on any other team. No other team would keep a #1 pick around for so long who has consistently underperformed, whether that be because of his own bad play or surrounding cast, coaching etc.

I know theres nothing we can do about it, because the reason he is here is not the fault or doing of the fans, just the management. The only way we can prevent a 'split fan base' is if people learn to respect each others' opinions on the player without getting defensive or taking it personally. Once we begin to argue on a fan forum like fans who care about the game and the team, we will find it less hostile to discuss a topic about the QB on their favorite team...
This!
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
How about we let this team continue to practice and implement its system that has only been in place for 12 practices. It is not as if Drew Brees did any better than Alex and that was without us blitzing the house on every single play.
Originally posted by WWFGD:
How about we let this team continue to practice and implement its system that has only been in place for 12 practices. It is not as if Drew Brees did any better than Alex and that was without us blitzing the house on every single play.

If Alex had the resume of a Drew Brees then I wouldn't be worried!

• mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyniner52:
Think about it?...
Break down...huge chance we get Luck

Pats= no
Jets= no
Dolphins= yes
Bills= maybe
Colts= no, unless a back up, but they will win too many games this year
Jags= no, just got Gabbert unless he busts
Texans= no
Titans= no, Locker
Bengals= no, Dalton
Steelers= no
Browns= no
Ravens= no, slim chance at back-up=Harbaugh in family coach
Broncos= yes, if Orton is traded
Raiders= yes
Chiefs= no
Chargers= no

Seahawks= yes
Rams= no
Cardinals= no, slim chance though
Saints= no
Falcons= no
Bucs= no
Panthers= no, Newton
Packers= no
Vikings= no, slim chance is Ponder busts
Bears= no, but I give them a slight chance with that wuss Cutler
Lions= no
Eagles= no, but don't put it past them
Redskins= big yes
Giants= no
Cowboys= no, but if Romo fails anymore they will be looking another direction
Way to state the obvious on most of those teams lol. Skins, us, bills, raiders, bengals(dalton thrown to the wolves in a tough division), seahawks, maybe broncos(I say maybe because they have a lot of other needs and drafted tebow), dolphins.

I don't see any of the teams w/veterans going for him because they'll keep the rookie from starting and therefore busting- vikings have mcnabb so ponder won't get the chance to bust lol, gabbert won't start much over garrard, kolb may struggle but not enough for them to get luck, chicago will continue to stick with cutler.

So of those 7/8 teams, we're better than the skins(terrible team), raiders(now that they have no miller/asomugha), bengals(no palmer, no ocho/TO, no run game), seahawks(mediocre run game compared to gore, crap qb), we're even better than the broncos because their defense has always sucked. Dolphins are the only team really better than us on that list.

Realistically we have too much talent to end up with less than 6 wins.

Just gotta recognize that many that frequent message boards might have real problems with "people-skills" to begin with.

Some people just LIKE to be obnoxious... why? To get attention... to fit in with certain forum cliques. Some people enjoy ticking off other people. Some people just take advantage of the anonymity... maybe they get treated poorly at home or work, so they come on here to return that mistreatment onto others as a venting mechanism.

... and let's face it.... MANY fans are actually just casual observers of football. They watch a game live once and think they know all of the intricacies to why things worked or didn't work. Some people are just not too bright. That's life... but on a forum, anonymity gives everyone "power" and the ability to strut without the typical consequences of face to face discussion.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Just gotta recognize that many that frequent message boards might have real problems with "people-skills" to begin with.

Some people just LIKE to be obnoxious... why? To get attention... to fit in with certain forum cliques. Some people enjoy ticking off other people. Some people just take advantage of the anonymity... maybe they get treated poorly at home or work, so they come on here to return that mistreatment onto others as a venting mechanism.

... and let's face it.... MANY fans are actually just casual observers of football. They watch a game live once and think they know all of the intricacies to why things worked or didn't work. Some people are just not too bright. That's life... but on a forum, anonymity gives everyone "power" and the ability to strut without the typical consequences of face to face discussion.

Look, I know that you are one of the more intelligent posters in Niner Talk, but two people can both understand football, but they both don't have to agree on the same points. I've noticed that you and some other posters always single out people who criticize Alex as 'ignorant fans', people who have no knowledge of the game.

Just because I don't think he is a good QB does not mean I don't know anything about football. It's not as if the guy has lit up the league for the past years. No. He has played average football, at times absolutely terrible football, and other times solid and even great football.

So I'm guessing that every other sports analyst or person involved in the NFL who does not believe in Alex is also ignorant to the game of football? Didn't think so. People need to learn to respect other's opinions. And I will agree with you on one thing; the posters who are obnoxious and try to be funny with the constant 'Alex sucks' comments ARE ignorant and seriously need to either be warned or something. On the other hand, posters like me and others who state Alex 'sucks' but then proceed to back their argument up with facts and opinions DO have a knowledge of the game. Maybe our opinion does not match up with yours, but it does mean I don't know what the hell is going on on Sundays. It's not difficult to identify an overthrow or when a QB stares down his receiver. And just before anyone brings it up...I do not think that whatever happened on Friday night was Alex's fault, just the throws on which he missed his receiver, and also the countless other mistakes he has made in his time here.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Yes!!

Can't really believe that we have already fallen into this blame Alex for everyting that is wrong with the O already.

He will struggle again early this pre-season but don't we expect that with a new coach, new #1 wr, crabs out once again, oline issues and the whole O trying to to learn the playbook.

The hysteria surrounding the 1st pre-season game is way off base. Lets give all out players a chance to learn the stinking playbook first, then learn to play together within the system this pre-season before passing all this judgement and acting like the sky is falling.
  • Veteran
I think we will start slow and pick up as the season advances. By week nine or ten we should see some signs of hope. 6-10 is my prediction.
Share 49ersWebzone