A few points on why I believe the 49ers matchup with the Giants pretty well:
1. Obviously, the running game is our bread & butter on offense. The Giants' defense has allowed 145+ yards on the ground in 5 of their last 6 games. The Niners must take advantage of this.
2. The strength of the Giant's defense is the pass rush. As long as we can run the ball on the 25th ranked run D, we can continue to attempt only 20-25 passes, thus limiting their pass rush opportunities. This is critical, as the Giants generate a lot of turnovers due to their pass rush. Protecting the football is key, and we have done a great job at that.
3. The Giants offense will be 1 dimensional. They only average 3.3 yards per rushing attempt, so there is no way in hell they are gonna run on us. The 49ers secondary has been lit up on 2 occasions this year (Cowboys, Eagles) but have really tightened things up since then. This game will be a huge test against an elite QB. It's very important we don't go down 2 scores early.
4. The Giants use a lot of 3 WR sets on offense. This means we should see more of Aldon Smith, who has been lighting it up in the nickel defense package.
5. The Giants are banged up. Hakeem Nicks, Ahmad Bradshaw, & David Baas are all nursing injuries. Their status for this game is in question.
I'm not saying this is gonna be easy, because it's not. This a good team that just beat the Patriots on the road. I think the 49ers are the better, more complete football team. Our offense is built to beat their defense. Our defense is the toughest they will play all season. We are at home. This could determine who gets a bye in the playoffs. Time to put or shut up. Niners win 24-21.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Nov 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM ]