There are 176 users in the forums

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Originally posted by Whomeam:
Originally posted by Mookster:
Everyone really just needs to chill and relax. We're obviously not done looking at people and signing yet. They've been trickling in. Cooooooooool down.

MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
RT @JoshBDraft Yale TE Chris Blohm has tryout with 49ers. > SF native attend 49ers' local pro day, and could be added after Byham injury.

Yup.... let's slow down on this breakneck pace of undrafted free agents and camp fodder.... before you know it we could make a mistake and sign someone who would actually improve this team.

And how do you know they're just camp fodder? You have no idea how good they'll be on this team or what the coaches see in them. You aren't changing anything, so why whine about it? They know what they're doing. We don't.

Taking an undrafted and heretofore unsigned FA from a local tryout over an established NFL player would appear to signal "camp fodder". If not, and this is a player expected to be a mainstay of the team (blocking TE), I further maintain my "F" rating on Baalke's handling of the current FA period. I personally believe a known NFL calibre player would be preferable over an unknown, passed over by 31 other teams at least twice player off the street.

Besides, I'm venting my frustrations at the continued ineptitude of the Management of my favourite sports franchise. Its a right I have by virtue of the couple of thousand dollars I spend every year supporting the Niners and the loads of humiliation heaped on me by friends who support other teams that at least are trying to get better.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Everyone really just needs to chill and relax. We're obviously not done looking at people and signing yet. They've been trickling in. Cooooooooool down.

MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
RT @JoshBDraft Yale TE Chris Blohm has tryout with 49ers. > SF native attend 49ers' local pro day, and could be added after Byham injury.

Yup.... let's slow down on this breakneck pace of undrafted free agents and camp fodder.... before you know it we could make a mistake and sign someone who would actually improve this team.

Adding depth to your roster doesn't improve rosters I guess.......................................................................................................................?

Lollolol we have enough depth on the D we have what 3 legit starters in smith, Willis and Spencer everyone else is just meh... we need starters not anymore depth

You think we signed a guy 1 year to replace a starter? Think about that for one second...

MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco

And how do you know they're just camp fodder? You have no idea how good they'll be on this team or what the coaches see in them. You aren't changing anything, so why whine about it? They know what they're doing. We don't.

Taking an undrafted and heretofore unsigned FA from a local tryout over an established NFL player would appear to signal "camp fodder". If not, and this is a player expected to be a mainstay of the team (blocking TE), I further maintain my "F" rating on Baalke's handling of the current FA period. I personally believe a known NFL calibre player would be preferable over an unknown, passed over by 31 other teams at least twice player off the street.

Besides, I'm venting my frustrations at the continued ineptitude of the Management of my favourite sports franchise. Its a right I have by virtue of the couple of thousand dollars I spend every year supporting the Niners and the loads of humiliation heaped on me by friends who support other teams that at least are trying to get better.
Quite a few great players came into the NFL undrafted. 23 of last years probowl players were undrafted. Undrafted does NOT mean that they have no talent.
Originally posted by 5280High:

MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco

Cause it's easier to b*tch and moan than actually think and contemplate that in reality this is not a good year to go bust your salary cap if your the niners.

New coaching staff, transitioning QB and a roster full of young players that got ignored by Singletary cause he played favorites and completely mismanaged the roster.

has ANYTHING this team done looked like it was even close to "busting the salary cap"? Failing to sign Namdi and then failing to sign ANYONE certainly is a way to protect your cap space..... of course if you wanted to fill obvious and glaring holes on your roster it seems a bit counter intuitive. Signing NFL calibre players for reasonable NFL salaries (Cromartie, Jospeh, Spikes etc etc etc) could also be a way to improve your team without "busting the cap" but perhaps I digress....... and just because every other team in your division (one which we finished 3rd last year) are making moves in an attempt to get better doesn't require us to do the same. After all, they could be "busting their salary cap" and not getting any value. But in the off chance teams can add talented NFL calibre players through this free agency thing and in the process improve their team we might want to give it a try too.

MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco

Quite a few great players came into the NFL undrafted. 23 of last years probowl players were undrafted. Undrafted does NOT mean that they have no talent.

I am not saying the undrafted player doesn't have talent. If only by the requirement to play college football we know they have talent. What I am saying is that counting on an undrafted FA signing to become a solid NFL player is somewhat akin to cathing lightening in a bottle. How many undrafted FAs are signed every year? How many of them go on to have lengthy NFL careers? Very few as a percentage of those signed.

Based on the needs of this team, its recent lack of success on the field and the continued improvement of teams within the division I would expect more than continued undrafted FA signings. However as it was pointed out earlier, I am not a coach nor an NFL talent evaluator. I am a long time fan of this team and am just hoping for a better performance both on and off the field.
There has obviously been a lot of arguments about why Baalke has not been able to deliver top free agents, and I have been one who is certainly disappointed. Now that I have had some time to think things through I believe the CBA thing really did screw up this season for us. Why waste money on pricey free agents when Jim needs time to find out what he has to work with. I think we just roll out with a young team this year and see who can play. I hate to throw in the towel but next year we'll have a much better shot at scoring free agents and winning some games. Just my perspective...
How much celebrating will be done if Franklin is resigned?.... will Baalke be off the hook?....
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by b9er37:
There has obviously been a lot of arguments about why Baalke has not been able to deliver top free agents, and I have been one who is certainly disappointed. Now that I have had some time to think things through I believe the CBA thing really did screw up this season for us. Why waste money on pricey free agents when Jim needs time to find out what he has to work with. I think we just roll out with a young team this year and see who can play. I hate to throw in the towel but next year we'll have a much better shot at scoring free agents and winning some games. Just my perspective...

It certainly makes sense but, of course, they could never come out and say it. The term “rebuilding” is to the NFL what “Voldemort” is to the world of Harry Potter. So Baalke and York talk about patience and sticking to the plan. Trouble is, the plan for 2011 is tear down the roster, get some high priced guys off the books, and audition a bunch of young guys. Makes it tough on your marketing department when your plan is to basically tank the season.

49er slogans:

2009: “I want winners!”
2010: “Don’t tell me, show me!”
2011: “We’ll get ‘em next year!”
Originally posted by Lifer:

It certainly makes sense but, of course, they could never come out and say it. The term “rebuilding” is to the NFL what “Voldemort” is to the world of Harry Potter. So Baalke and York talk about patience and sticking to the plan. Trouble is, the plan for 2011 is tear down the roster, get some high priced guys off the books, and audition a bunch of young guys. Makes it tough on your marketing department when your plan is to basically tank the season.

49er slogans:

It's not really about tanking imo. We didn't have a playoff team to begin with. The CBA put us so far behind with a new coaching staff that had sh*tty players to begin with that signing a bunch of high priced guys really doesn't make sense.

Nice Harry Potter reference
Originally posted by Lifer:

49er slogans:

I don't know what your definition of tear down the roster... but this is not a tear down. You wanna see a tear down go look at what McDaniels did to Denver.

It looks like we could actually be bringing Franklin and Goldson back, who knows what Manny is up to, its possible all three come back. Won't matter cause fans will always find something to complain about.

I think I will be patient before I decide on Baalke's off-season. This team was borderline playoff bound the past couple of seasons if it weren't for the horrible coaching and I think Harbaugh can really bring the best out of the guys we have, so that should put us in contention alone. My only concern, as is everyone else's, is the CB position.
Originally posted by Baalkesux:
How much celebrating will be done if Franklin is resigned?.... will Baalke be off the hook?....

Not as long as Kolb and Tavaris Jackson can look like Johnny Unitas passing against our defensive backs..
Disappointing, but then again, we don't have a lot of leverage I imagine with free agents. I felt Baas was our most important free agent, and he left for 5 yrs 26 million which I would've been ok with paying. But it's possible he wanted to leave for a more competitive team.

The only real area of concern with respect to FA is the cornerback position, which I think has been complained about on these boards ad nauseum.

Oh well.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I think I will be patient before I decide on Baalke's off-season. This team was borderline playoff bound the past couple of seasons if it weren't for the horrible coaching and I think Harbaugh can really bring the best out of the guys we have, so that should put us in contention alone. My only concern, as is everyone else's, is the CB position.

That was my thought as well - that we were close to the playoffs last year (partly because the NFC west is so bad) and adding Harbaugh and a free agent or two would get us over the hump.

But I'm not feeling that way anymore. I think Arizona gas gotten significantly better, and we have regressed quite a bit. Our secondary was a mess last year and there hasn't been a significant move to improve it. I thought playoffs could be reached, but it may bea stretch now.

Increasingly lately, can't help but wonder how differently this offseason would have been with a Lombardi/Harbaugh combo. I know some dislike him as a commentator, but I can't shake the feeling that he'd be a better GM than Baalke. I felt that way earlier in the year, and feel that way now. I should give him more time, but so far, it's not been good.
If he resigns Goldson, and franklin, and lawson, for less than they wanted, while adding a backup incase goldson sucks again..

Then I can't really hate on him very much.
Share 49ersWebzone