LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
49ers committed $16 mil in 2011 to Akers, Rogers, Goodwin, Whitner, Edwards, Williams. Raiders committed $16 mil in 2011 to Michael Huff.

Looks Like Baalke Does Have A Plan
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I will up his grade to a C now.
Trent is a man with a plan
Originally posted by niners9ers:
49ers committed $16 mil in 2011 to Akers, Rogers, Goodwin, Whitner, Edwards, Williams. Raiders committed $16 mil in 2011 to Michael Huff.

Wow.

s**t, Thats AWESOME.

And who says we dont spend, well at least we dont overspend like the Raiders, lol.

but great signings anyway.

And damn, 16M for Huff this yr, seems to be a 1yr deal to be honest. I wonder how much guaranteed. Since it was a reported 4yr 32M deal.
Love the plan, at first I thought we were gonna lay low and play the yougest team thing, but Baalke has really have added some talent on offense. We are gonna see what Baalke is made of by watching the guys he drafted get a shot. I can't wait to see what happens this season

I saw that also. Puts things in perspective. I don't agree that Baalke had/has a plan, I think he got lucky and was able to snatch Whitner away from Cincy at the last min. Trying to claim "it was all apart of the plan" is BS
Originally posted by AKfanster:

I saw that also. Puts things in perspective. I don't agree that Baalke had/has a plan, I think he got lucky and was able to snatch Whitner away from Cincy at the last min. Trying to claim "it was all apart of the plan" is BS

Sometimes, it is better to be lucky than good.
It's official Baalke knows what he is doing

It's amazing how ignorant of simple economics some people are by saying that all these signings were not part of the "plan."

When a market is over-flooded with sellers, as this year was with free agents due to the opting out of the CBA last year that caused a lot of 4 year vets to miss FA, it causes the market to be soft. When a market is soft, that means there are more sellers than there are buyers, so a lot of quality sellers (FA's) would be left after the initial frenzied rush. Not only that, but you are more likely to get good value, since those sellers are desperate to sell their product and are willing to take less for their services.

Whereas some teams over-paid for the services of players because they got caught up in the FA rush or are looking to corner-the-market in FA to "buy a championship," the Niners, who have a new system (HC, GM, etc.), waited and capitalized on the value left behind, thus not only getting the most for their money, but also getting players that would normally demand more in a normal market year, with the option to extend or re-sign these players after this year if they preform very well because they will have the cap to do so, since they didn't waste it on flashy names.

Signing Asomungha for a crazy price would have been "sexy," but for just $4mil more than his $12mil/year tag, the Niners got a pretty good SS, a very good WR, a very good center, a good corner, and some other important contributing pieces. That is what this team needs right now, not a large splashy name, but to fill holes and replace Nolan/Singletary guys with Harbaugh/Baalke guys.

It's never smart to over-pay someone. You have to put a value on their service and then try to get the best deal... it will pay-off in the end.

It's all part of the plan. Simple.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Aug 4, 2011 at 18:36:40 ]

^^^ THAT.

By the way, the 9ers had already stated that they wouldn't be too open about their transactions
AdamSchefter: 49ers committed $16M in 2011 to K David Akers, CB Carlos Rogers, C Jonathan Goodwin, S Donte' Whitner, WR Braylon Edwards, and S Medieu Williams. The Raiders committed $16M to S Michael Huff.
Originally posted by PTulini:
AdamSchefter: 49ers committed $16M in 2011 to K David Akers, CB Carlos Rogers, C Jonathan Goodwin, S Donte' Whitner, WR Braylon Edwards, and S Medieu Williams. The Raiders committed $16M to S Michael Huff.

I wonder how many times people are going to post this tweet? lol
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

It's amazing how ignorant of simple economics some people are by saying that all these signings were not part of the "plan."

When a market is over-flooded with sellers, as this year was with free agents due to the opting out of the CBA last year that caused a lot of 4 year vets to miss FA, it causes the market to be soft. When a market is soft, that means there are more sellers than there are buyers, so a lot of quality sellers (FA's) would be left after the initial frenzied rush. Not only that, but you are more likely to get good value, since those sellers are desperate to sell their product and are willing to take less for their services.

Whereas some teams over-paid for the services of players because they got caught up in the FA rush or are looking to corner-the-market in FA to "buy a championship," the Niners, who have a new system (HC, GM, etc.), waited and capitalized on the value left behind, thus not only getting the most for their money, but also getting players that would normally demand more in a normal market year, with the option to extend or re-sign these players after this year if they preform very well because they will have the cap to do so, since they didn't waste it on flashy names.

Signing Asomungha for a crazy price would have been "sexy," but for just $4mil more than his $12mil/year tag, the Niners got a pretty good SS, a very good WR, a very good center, a good corner, and some other important contributing pieces. That is what this team needs right now, not a large splashy name, but to fill holes and replace Nolan/Singletary guys with Harbaugh/Baalke guys.

It's never smart to over-pay someone. You have to put a value on their service and then try to get the best deal... it will pay-off in the end.

It's all part of the plan. Simple.

Who said school isnt fun? Economics is f**king AWESOME!!!!

[ Edited by FaithInJH on Aug 4, 2011 at 18:47:46 ]
Originally posted by PTulini:

poor schefy, he spelled Madieu wrong, oh well, I give him a pass, he is the best in the business, and he has been at it nonstop.
Share 49ersWebzone