Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

• Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by Mookster:
From SI coloumn on ESPN website:

San Francisco 49ers

Key additions: Alex Smith (re-signed), Ray McDonald (re-signed), Carlos Rogers, Madieu Williams, David Akers, Jonathan Goodwin
Key losses: Aubrayo Franklin, Nate Clements, Manny Lawson, Eric Heitmann

Analysis: Overall, this is the most perplexing team to me in free agency -- I really have no idea why the front office did next to nothing to improve the team. Originally, I assumed that the 49ers were handcuffed financially while they heavily pursued Asomugha. But after Asomugha went to Philadelphia, the 49ers remained catatonic. Smith's return to San Francisco was the worst-kept secret in free agency. Although I don't disagree with bringing Smith back under these circumstances, I hardly consider it a great signing. Goodwin is a wide-bodied anchor who could be a stabilizing force in the middle of San Francisco's young line, but he isn't a high end starter. I am very high on McDonald, though. He can get after the quarterback, moves very well for a 3-4 defensive end and is probably only improving. That said, this is a team that has a wealth of needs, especially at wide receiver and in the secondary.

The 49ers could have done worse than adding Rogers as a Plan B (or Plan C) option instead of Asomugha, but I'm not confident that their secondary is even as good as it was last year. With Michael Crabtree out with another injury, it boggles my mind that the 49ers didn't see a need to bring in someone with pedigree at this position as they try to construct a passing game. San Francisco had better be confident that coach Jim Harbaugh is worth all that money it is paying him, because it hasn't given its first-year head coach much to work with.

Grade: D-
Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN.com. Follow Matt Williamson on Twitter @WilliamsonNFL

an interesting perspective from a neutral 3rd party......

Too soon.

Yup. Too soon to make those judgements. ESPSNORE......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Interesting that the players the FA's 49ers are associated with in the media are far from the ones we are acquiring and the ones we are acquiring end up being surprises.

I like the Stealth.

Also, has Goldson even proven anything in the NFL to present himself this way?
i wonder what grade we would get if they added whitner and a possible edwards signing

i'm so f**king stoked for this first preseason game
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YungAce:
i wonder what grade we would get if they added whitner and a possible edwards signing

i'm so f**king stoked for this first preseason game

You are about to find out.

Lets recap what he has done.

Improved our team by signing legit starters for value.

Never blinked a second at the potential hold out of Gore.

Couldn't give a left nut sack over Crabtree and his injury....

I like him

[ Edited by Envy on Aug 4, 2011 at 16:13:48 ]
Originally posted by Baalkesux:
D.... not a player worth fighting over in the bunch of castoffs and scrubs he has picked up.... bargain shopping in the dented can basket....

Area49 is that you?
up to a C.... credit for at least trying to do something now.... can't believe that this was the "plan".... unless waiting to sign anyone still available in a position of need after everybody else had signed the players that they wanted was the "plan"....

[ Edited by Baalkesux on Aug 4, 2011 at 16:18:56 ]
It took a bit longer than expected, but he's starting to acquire some puzzle pieces.

"I love it when a plan comes together."
I'll say A- now. B+ at least.
Baalke's balls strike again. He landed us Harbaugh, Goodwin, Whitner, and Edwards (on a dirt cheap/1yr deal) all in one year.

McDrunky would never get this type of s**t done.
still don't like the owners or the gm.

Originally posted by Negrodamus:

Negro, just give in. It's popular to be optimistic right about now, so come join the party!
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

Negro, just give in. It's popular to be optimistic right about now, so come join the party!

...oh i'm happy still don't like the owners or the gm
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for Godsleftsock.
Just like that, baalke fails
Originally posted by Baalkesux:
up to a C.... credit for at least trying to do something now.... can't believe that this was the "plan".... unless waiting to sign anyone still available in a position of need after everybody else had signed the players that they wanted was the "plan"....

I agree..... moved up to a C today with Braylon and Donte signings. I also don't think the team has improved over last year (sans coaching of course) however the holes have been plugged.
Carlos Rogers and Braylon are 1 year deals. Short term chances that could be over with just as soon as it started.

I give him a B-. We're in position to win the West, but reallistically speaking we're still pretty far away from being a real playoff team. That's unless Alex finally emerges as a quarterback. Hopefully Harbaugh proves his worth.
Share 49ersWebzone