There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

I think I will be patient before I decide on Baalke's off-season. This team was borderline playoff bound the past couple of seasons if it weren't for the horrible coaching and I think Harbaugh can really bring the best out of the guys we have, so that should put us in contention alone. My only concern, as is everyone else's, is the CB position.
Originally posted by Baalkesux:
How much celebrating will be done if Franklin is resigned?.... will Baalke be off the hook?....

Not as long as Kolb and Tavaris Jackson can look like Johnny Unitas passing against our defensive backs..
Disappointing, but then again, we don't have a lot of leverage I imagine with free agents. I felt Baas was our most important free agent, and he left for 5 yrs 26 million which I would've been ok with paying. But it's possible he wanted to leave for a more competitive team.

The only real area of concern with respect to FA is the cornerback position, which I think has been complained about on these boards ad nauseum.

Oh well.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I think I will be patient before I decide on Baalke's off-season. This team was borderline playoff bound the past couple of seasons if it weren't for the horrible coaching and I think Harbaugh can really bring the best out of the guys we have, so that should put us in contention alone. My only concern, as is everyone else's, is the CB position.

That was my thought as well - that we were close to the playoffs last year (partly because the NFC west is so bad) and adding Harbaugh and a free agent or two would get us over the hump.

But I'm not feeling that way anymore. I think Arizona gas gotten significantly better, and we have regressed quite a bit. Our secondary was a mess last year and there hasn't been a significant move to improve it. I thought playoffs could be reached, but it may bea stretch now.

Increasingly lately, can't help but wonder how differently this offseason would have been with a Lombardi/Harbaugh combo. I know some dislike him as a commentator, but I can't shake the feeling that he'd be a better GM than Baalke. I felt that way earlier in the year, and feel that way now. I should give him more time, but so far, it's not been good.
If he resigns Goldson, and franklin, and lawson, for less than they wanted, while adding a backup incase goldson sucks again..

Then I can't really hate on him very much.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 947
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by Lifer:
Originally posted by b9er37:
There has obviously been a lot of arguments about why Baalke has not been able to deliver top free agents, and I have been one who is certainly disappointed. Now that I have had some time to think things through I believe the CBA thing really did screw up this season for us. Why waste money on pricey free agents when Jim needs time to find out what he has to work with. I think we just roll out with a young team this year and see who can play. I hate to throw in the towel but next year we'll have a much better shot at scoring free agents and winning some games. Just my perspective...

It certainly makes sense but, of course, they could never come out and say it. The term “rebuilding” is to the NFL what “Voldemort” is to the world of Harry Potter. So Baalke and York talk about patience and sticking to the plan. Trouble is, the plan for 2011 is tear down the roster, get some high priced guys off the books, and audition a bunch of young guys. Makes it tough on your marketing department when your plan is to basically tank the season.

49er slogans:

2009: “I want winners!”
2010: “Don’t tell me, show me!”
2011: “We’ll get ‘em next year!”

I don't know what your definition of tear down the roster... but this is not a tear down. You wanna see a tear down go look at what McDaniels did to Denver.

It looks like we could actually be bringing Franklin and Goldson back, who knows what Manny is up to, its possible all three come back. Won't matter cause fans will always find something to complain about.

If you lose 5 out of 6 starters on defense (which could very well happen), that's a tear down. If your defensive coordinator says that only two positions are set and everything else is up for grabs, that's a tear down. If you're 24th in the league in pass defense and you let your starting CB walk with no one to replace him, that's a tear down. When said starting CB is quoted by his new coach as saying that he left because he didn't want to be part of rebuilding, that's a tear down. They're not trying to add a couple pieces on defense, they're starting over. That's a tear down.
Wow...This is the most disappointing FA signing period EVER..The total feeling of helplessness as I watch my 9ers totally "become"uncompetitive in areas were they should or could be is beyond understanding...THE PLAN as I've heard it called is a total smoke screen for failure .I understand we were going to lose some of our players..ok thats how it goes..But as a team we were not that far ,from at least being competitive...especially with good coaching,, So wouldn't common sense say to replace the players we lost ?? At the least with some if not most of the talent we've lost in FA?? The 9ers have done NOTHING other then Akers,, worth noting
I see our new HC's hands being tied and to make do with what is given to him...I really can't see Coach Harbaugh saying "hey give me less talent" which is what he's getting.....Baalke deserves no grade, He has no plan... and just like our FA signings it's a -0-for INCOMPLETE!!!!
F

F

FF


FF
F

F
FFFF

I'm off this Harbro bus already.
Luck can get injured this season or might even turn into A.Smith or Leinart!

You let go of Manny Lawson for 3 mill? THREE MILLION?
Clements goes, Gore wants to leave, Spikes ....meh....A Franklin hasn't been signed ..........WTF? [/b]
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
F

F

FF


FF
F

F
FFFF

I'm off this Harbro bus already.
Luck can get injured this season or might even turn into A.Smith or Leinart!

You let go of Manny Lawson for 3 mill? THREE MILLION?
Clements goes, Gore wants to leave, Spikes ....meh....A Franklin hasn't been signed ..........WTF? [/b]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
F

F

FF


FF
F

F
FFFF

I'm off this Harbro bus already.
Luck can get injured this season or might even turn into A.Smith or Leinart!

You let go of Manny Lawson for 3 mill? THREE MILLION?
Clements goes, Gore wants to leave, Spikes ....meh....A Franklin hasn't been signed ..........WTF? [/b]

I think even if Lawson were offered 4 million here, he wouldn't have stayed. He has a chance to be a starter for Cincy instead of sharing time here, which I imagine wasn't fun for him last year. Plus they drafted his replacement.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I've been keeping my 'cool' all this time awaiting the results of the 'Olin Kreutz situation' (not as worried about what s**tty CB we'll sign to fill Clements spot, cause Center is the third most important position on a team; third to QB & Pass-rusher).

If we don't get Kreutz, I'll fully support/join the "FRONT OFFICE SUCKS!" bandwagon.

Welcome aboard, he would rather retire than come to Lucky Sperms cheap hotel.
Originally posted by Lifer:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by Lifer:
Originally posted by b9er37:
There has obviously been a lot of arguments about why Baalke has not been able to deliver top free agents, and I have been one who is certainly disappointed. Now that I have had some time to think things through I believe the CBA thing really did screw up this season for us. Why waste money on pricey free agents when Jim needs time to find out what he has to work with. I think we just roll out with a young team this year and see who can play. I hate to throw in the towel but next year we'll have a much better shot at scoring free agents and winning some games. Just my perspective...

It certainly makes sense but, of course, they could never come out and say it. The term “rebuilding” is to the NFL what “Voldemort” is to the world of Harry Potter. So Baalke and York talk about patience and sticking to the plan. Trouble is, the plan for 2011 is tear down the roster, get some high priced guys off the books, and audition a bunch of young guys. Makes it tough on your marketing department when your plan is to basically tank the season.

49er slogans:

2009: “I want winners!”
2010: “Don’t tell me, show me!”
2011: “We’ll get ‘em next year!”

I don't know what your definition of tear down the roster... but this is not a tear down. You wanna see a tear down go look at what McDaniels did to Denver.

It looks like we could actually be bringing Franklin and Goldson back, who knows what Manny is up to, its possible all three come back. Won't matter cause fans will always find something to complain about.

If you lose 5 out of 6 starters on defense (which could very well happen), that's a tear down. If your defensive coordinator says that only two positions are set and everything else is up for grabs, that's a tear down. If you're 24th in the league in pass defense and you let your starting CB walk with no one to replace him, that's a tear down. When said starting CB is quoted by his new coach as saying that he left because he didn't want to be part of rebuilding, that's a tear down. They're not trying to add a couple pieces on defense, they're starting over. That's a tear down.

Agreed. I don't see how he can keep his job. If the Yorks have any respect for themselves then they would get rid of him now.
Originally posted by Lifer:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by Lifer:
Originally posted by b9er37:
There has obviously been a lot of arguments about why Baalke has not been able to deliver top free agents, and I have been one who is certainly disappointed. Now that I have had some time to think things through I believe the CBA thing really did screw up this season for us. Why waste money on pricey free agents when Jim needs time to find out what he has to work with. I think we just roll out with a young team this year and see who can play. I hate to throw in the towel but next year we'll have a much better shot at scoring free agents and winning some games. Just my perspective...

It certainly makes sense but, of course, they could never come out and say it. The term “rebuilding” is to the NFL what “Voldemort” is to the world of Harry Potter. So Baalke and York talk about patience and sticking to the plan. Trouble is, the plan for 2011 is tear down the roster, get some high priced guys off the books, and audition a bunch of young guys. Makes it tough on your marketing department when your plan is to basically tank the season.

49er slogans:

2009: “I want winners!”
2010: “Don’t tell me, show me!”
2011: “We’ll get ‘em next year!”

I don't know what your definition of tear down the roster... but this is not a tear down. You wanna see a tear down go look at what McDaniels did to Denver.

It looks like we could actually be bringing Franklin and Goldson back, who knows what Manny is up to, its possible all three come back. Won't matter cause fans will always find something to complain about.

If you lose 5 out of 6 starters on defense (which could very well happen), that's a tear down. If your defensive coordinator says that only two positions are set and everything else is up for grabs, that's a tear down. If you're 24th in the league in pass defense and you let your starting CB walk with no one to replace him, that's a tear down. When said starting CB is quoted by his new coach as saying that he left because he didn't want to be part of rebuilding, that's a tear down. They're not trying to add a couple pieces on defense, they're starting over. That's a tear down.

If you only have 6 defenders to begin with you were already screwed
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by strickac:
We've established a track record of failure. Most veterans want to go to a winning organization. You can't blame Baalke for our recent history.

He's trying to sign guys, but we're just not a legit consideration for most players. Baalke's hands are kind of tied.

Unless you know what restrictions are put on him he cannot be graded. Of course since he was promoted from within, and no one but the cheap Yorks would hire him as GM it is not like he going to man up and talk back to the boss. If all he is allowed to do is offer players 80% of what another team is willing to pay he won't be scoring anything other than undrafted free agent scrubs.

Quite a few so-called scrubs in New England too, but they're doin ok.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,660
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by strickac:
We've established a track record of failure. Most veterans want to go to a winning organization. You can't blame Baalke for our recent history.

He's trying to sign guys, but we're just not a legit consideration for most players. Baalke's hands are kind of tied.

Unless you know what restrictions are put on him he cannot be graded. Of course since he was promoted from within, and no one but the cheap Yorks would hire him as GM it is not like he going to man up and talk back to the boss. If all he is allowed to do is offer players 80% of what another team is willing to pay he won't be scoring anything other than undrafted free agent scrubs.

Quite a few so-called scrubs in New England too, but they're doin ok.

When you have a hall of fame head coach and quarterback you can get away with having a few scrubs getting some major playing time.