There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

With Baas to the Giants, what does that mean for us?

I'll tell you what it means. The 49ers just dodged an expensive contract to a guy that will get hurt in training camp and miss 6 weeks of the regular season again.

He has never been the guy we hoped for and too many times he disappeared when he was needed most. GTFO
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Great news. Now, we have Rachal playing between Davis and a question mark.

Just like losing Heitmann was a big loss in 2010, unless the team can pull off a really talented free agent center soon, this is a major negative. The team is down two major interior linemen, and Rachal has shown himself to be highly inconsistent.

The team better get Nnamdi, or find shockingly good talent in the interior line in free agency, because this offense is going to be disasterous, especially early in 2011.

As much as many fans want to believe that our front office knows what it is doing, I still remain highly skeptical. Prove me wrong, Trent.

Me no likey the player personnel direction of the team this offseason.

Baas agreed to terms on a contract with the New York Giants that will pay him money commensurate with the top three or four centers in the league, the source said.

he can walk for that price

If Baas was looking exclusively at the highest bidder, then you make a great point. I am not so sure he is worth that amount of money. If he was willing to sign with the Niners for a bit less, then maybe you slightly overpay to ensure some stability on the OL for the next couple of years.

Isn't Alex Smith the key difference-making person in 2011? Now, we shift him to our third center, and third string center from a year ago. Even another vet center coming in to take over may be unsettling. I would pose the idea that Smith finished the season well is due to his comfortability with the offense and personnel toward the end of last year's campaign. Now, a new system, and new guy under center, just like last year.

Did I miss something on Heitman or is he not coming back?

Heitmann will be out until November or December due to a neck fracture. According to Joe Staley, the broken neck happened last season during one of Dingledong's Nutcracker Drills. Genius!!!!

You should have seen some of the guys going off on the stupid idea of Nutcracker drills on ESPN last night. Funny!

gotcha...for some reason I thought he was healthy

still though you usually play the wait and see card, I would recommended doing that

I don't trust management at all. They seem massively over their heads.
It means Alex Smith will have to snap the ball to himself. I don't see it working out.
he's too big for wco??

[ Edited by keeferr75 on Jul 27, 2011 at 12:10:02 ]
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
This one troubles me. I think resigning Baas should have been a priority. What is Plan B, or Plan C given Heitman is out.

FA, Snyder, Beeler.

Yeah, Snyder or a FA most likely, with Beeler as a darkhorse. O'Hara, Kreutz(sp?), and Goodwin are all intriging, but they are 10 years in or more. This idea might not be very popular, but I believe Chris Spencer is on the market. Mike Solari was his coach during his year in Seattle. With their aquisitons this year he will not be returning there. Also ESPN FA tracker has a pretty favorable scouting report on him. What do you think?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=8441

[ Edited by GorefullBore on Jul 27, 2011 at 12:31:29 ]
Originally posted by keeferr75:
he's too big for wco??

That is another think that crossed my mind. Maybe with the change in offense the niners want more of an athlete at the position.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Does this mean we will start an UDFA at C (Chase Beeler)?

I mean, what are our options at this point? Maybe Snyder at C and Chilo at RG
Or Person/Kilgore at C ...

umm... Hello Front Office, I don't know if you've realized it yet, but you can go after Free Agents now!?!

While it is a little bit unusual for a rookie to start at center, the recent history of Nick Mangold and Pouncey as rookie centers shows you don't need a vet. Beeler may prove to be the best option. He knows the system, hence knows the blocking calls, which is the biggest hurdle for a rookie to cross. Now if he has the athletic ability to make the blocks, he might do just fine.
Originally posted by dj43:

umm... Hello Front Office, I don't know if you've realized it yet, but you can go after Free Agents now!?!

While it is a little bit unusual for a rookie to start at center, the recent history of Nick Mangold and Pouncey as rookie centers shows you don't need a vet. Beeler may prove to be the best option. He knows the system, hence knows the blocking calls, which is the biggest hurdle for a rookie to cross. Now if he has the athletic ability to make the blocks, he might do just fine.

VERY optimistic, but granted, not impossible. I think we can expect our starting center to be either Wragge, Snyder, or a vet FA pickup.
  • dj43
  • Veteran

Just like losing Heitmann was a big loss in 2010, unless the team can pull off a really talented free agent center soon, this is a major negative. The team is down two major interior linemen, and Rachal has shown himself to be highly inconsistent.

The team better get Nnamdi, or find shockingly good talent in the interior line in free agency, because this offense is going to be disasterous, especially early in 2011.

As much as many fans want to believe that our front office knows what it is doing, I still remain highly skeptical. Prove me wrong, Trent.

We usually agree on most personnel moves but I am not as critical about losing Baas as you. I just don't think he will be that hard to replace.

I do agree the drop from Heitmann to Baas was significant but from Baas to Wragge or Beeler or (UFA/rookie) does not seem to be so great.

Very optimistic but he's a bit light at 285lbs, though. Maybe he's put on some weight since? UDFA aside, I would think he's going to need to add a bare minimum of 15lbs, otherwise he's going to struggle.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Is anybody else wondering why we let bass go? was he not that good for us? did he want to much?

I mean...we dont have heitman this year? so..what gives?

THis confuses the junk out of me. If we lose anymore guys, i'm going to start thinking baalke may not be the right man for the job. You can't just let talent walk out the door without even trying...

I would have thought, release clements, sign bass, goldson, and mcdonald. I dont get paid millions to make those calls though...so...i will just go back to playing madden and shut up.

We lost an OLB who will turn 35 this season and a OC who's only had 1 full healthy season on the team. I understand these guys were decent to good last year but it's not like we lost two all-pros.

Takeo was a ILB and whats a OC? Offensive Coordinator? A Center is a C not OC...
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:

VERY optimistic, but granted, not impossible. I think we can expect our starting center to be either Wragge, Snyder, or a vet FA pickup.

Admittedly so.

Rumors are the 49ers may have let him walk to build some capital to get Namdi. If true, that would be nice. Still, the center is the second most important position on the offense, and I am not comfortable with the choices but I wasn't as impressed with Baas as some.
swap centers straight up Bass for O'Hara

Baas agreed to terms on a contract with the New York Giants that will pay him money commensurate with the top three or four centers in the league, the source said.

he can walk for that price

If Baas was looking exclusively at the highest bidder, then you make a great point. I am not so sure he is worth that amount of money. If he was willing to sign with the Niners for a bit less, then maybe you slightly overpay to ensure some stability on the OL for the next couple of years.

Isn't Alex Smith the key difference-making person in 2011? Now, we shift him to our third center, and third string center from a year ago. Even another vet center coming in to take over may be unsettling. I would pose the idea that Smith finished the season well is due to his comfortability with the offense and personnel toward the end of last year's campaign. Now, a new system, and new guy under center, just like last year.

Did I miss something on Heitman or is he not coming back?

Heitmann will be out until November or December due to a neck fracture. According to Joe Staley, the broken neck happened last season during one of Dingledong's Nutcracker Drills. Genius!!!!

You should have seen some of the guys going off on the stupid idea of Nutcracker drills on ESPN last night. Funny!

gotcha...for some reason I thought he was healthy

still though you usually play the wait and see card, I would recommended doing that

I don't trust management at all. They seem massively over their heads.

I thought you were talking about how Baas wasn't gonna be able to handle being center after Heitmann was lost last offseason. Now youre criticizing the FO for losing a player that would probably be cut this year anyways if it wasnt for an injury? Baas shined at center but not outbidding the giants was a smart move, don't know how it's even debatable. You don't throw top 5 money at a player who played well for one year but by no means was he elite.
I think people are not facing reality. Bass got, according to sources top 3-4 center pay. Is he worth that. Have some of you considered the salary cap.? Did you know that it is less than last year at $120 mil.? As of right now we are about 6-7 mil under the cap., which will be increased by another 2.375 mil with the release of Carr. The niners want to renegotiate Nates contract, but won't let him go unless they get someone to replace him. So who knows how much more they will get from that?.

On paper Wragge and Snyder will be vying for the job, but as stated Chase Beeler is in the mix as he is familiar with Harbaugh’s system and Harbaugh may feel he has what it takes. Beeler was an AP All American 1st team and Walter Camp 2nd team All American. There is also talk that the niners are looking at Olin Kruetz, although old, he is an All Pro.