There are 268 users in the forums

With Baas to the Giants, what does that mean for us?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Is anybody else wondering why we let bass go? was he not that good for us? did he want to much?

I mean...we dont have heitman this year? so..what gives?

THis confuses the junk out of me. If we lose anymore guys, i'm going to start thinking baalke may not be the right man for the job. You can't just let talent walk out the door without even trying...

I would have thought, release clements, sign bass, goldson, and mcdonald. I dont get paid millions to make those calls though...so...i will just go back to playing madden and shut up.

We lost an OLB who will turn 35 this season and a OC who's only had 1 full healthy season on the team. I understand these guys were decent to good last year but it's not like we lost two all-pros.

I agree with GM. On rides the mail.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
This one troubles me. I think resigning Baas should have been a priority. What is Plan B, or Plan C given Heitman is out.

Alex Smith plus no veteran Center = Offensive Disaster Year #12 (or 13, who remembers anymore)

I can hear the Alexcuses now....
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Is anybody else wondering why we let bass go? was he not that good for us? did he want to much?

THis confuses the junk out of me. If we lose anymore guys, i'm going to start thinking baalke may not be the right man for the job. You can't just let talent walk out the door without even trying...

I would have thought, release clements, sign bass, goldson, and mcdonald. I dont get paid millions to make those calls though...so...i will just go back to playing madden and shut up.

We lost an OLB who will turn 35 this season and a OC who's only had 1 full healthy season on the team. I understand these guys were decent to good last year but it's not like we lost two all-pros.

Any other year that might be okay, but this is a very short off-season and bringing more dumba**es in will not help with all new coaching, etc. Look at this way---how good is Peyton with no Jeff Saturday? Well, Alex is no Peyton and without an experienced Center in our offense, he is going to suck worse...
.........but Baas wasn't that experienced at center. he only played 16 games in the NFL as a center
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Any other year that might be okay, but this is a very short off-season and bringing more dumba**es in will not help with all new coaching, etc. Look at this way---how good is Peyton with no Jeff Saturday? Well, Alex is no Peyton and without an experienced Center in our offense, he is going to suck worse...

Beeler has more experience with our offense than any center in the league.

Jut sayin'....
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Jut sayin'....

They better put him on the "Super size me weight gain plan" then.
damn, wanted baas

Jut sayin'....

He's sooo good he was an UFA
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by British9er:
.........but Baas wasn't that experienced at center. he only played 16 games in the NFL as a center

I thought he played the last two seasons as the starter. I might be wrong, though.
Olin Kreutz or Shaun O'Hara... i like the idea of one of those guys mentoring Chase Beeler then letting Beeler take over in a year of two.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/07/report-49ers-ma.html#ixzz1TK67sP1u

From a poster on Sac Bee. I kinda agree with this.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran

Jut sayin'....

They better put him on the "Super size me weight gain plan" then.

I'd like an update on his weight right now.

It doesn't take that long to put on 10 Lbs, which would be jut fine.
Originally posted by ninertico:
It means we go find another center?

And all this doom and gloom, too? Pull the panties off guys and grab a jock. For crying out loud, this is football and there are reasons why we didn't resign Spikes or Baas.

And NO, you guys don't know why. It's all speculative on our part. Letting these guys go is not failure. They have priorities and those two weren't one of them.

See ya!!!!

no kidding. seems many are forgetting how tb & jh already commented that the lockout provided them with ample time to set up their plan a, then b, then c. as much as you'd want it, plan a doesn't always workout so you can bet your azz they moved straight to b the moment they learned of baas' decision.

that said, it's gotta be a priority now since the success of whoever our starting qb hinges on solid line play - esp with an entirely new system.
Great news. Now, we have Rachal playing between Davis and a question mark.

Just like losing Heitmann was a big loss in 2010, unless the team can pull off a really talented free agent center soon, this is a major negative. The team is down two major interior linemen, and Rachal has shown himself to be highly inconsistent.

The team better get Nnamdi, or find shockingly good talent in the interior line in free agency, because this offense is going to be disasterous, especially early in 2011.

As much as many fans want to believe that our front office knows what it is doing, I still remain highly skeptical. Prove me wrong, Trent.

Me no likey the player personnel direction of the team this offseason.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jul 27, 2011 at 10:41:47 ]
Seriously could not care less about Baas going. He was solid, but completely unspectacular. He had a number of bad snaps and although he seemed to generally get good push, we could easily upgrade.

Snyder has been practicing at center, and we re-signed Wragge. We drafted another center and currently have four guys who can play center if you tack on Beeler. I'm sure out of Snyder, Wragge, Kilgore, Beeler and the FA Market.. we can find someone worthy. The question is, what combination will gel the best?

One thing's for sure, I think Kilgore and Person's chances of making the team just skyrocketed and could make them virtual locks now. If we sign no free agent OL, we have:

LT - Staley, Boone
LG - Iupati, Person
OC - Snyder, Wragge
RG - Kilgore, Rachal
RT - Davis, Snyder

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jul 27, 2011 at 10:48:21 ]
Kilgore is not a starter, he is still extremely raw.
Share 49ersWebzone