LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

With Baas to the Giants, what does that mean for us?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

I don't trust management at all. They seem massively over their heads.

I thought you were talking about how Baas wasn't gonna be able to handle being center after Heitmann was lost last offseason. Now youre criticizing the FO for losing a player that would probably be cut this year anyways if it wasnt for an injury? Baas shined at center but not outbidding the giants was a smart move, don't know how it's even debatable. You don't throw top 5 money at a player who played well for one year but by no means was he elite.

Baas getting signed for Top 3 money is not as insane as San Diego's signing of Eric Weddle for $40MM, but it's in the same nutty ballpark. If the Niners got suckered into that kind of idiotic auction and had the misfortune of submitting the winning bid, they'd have only themselves to blame.

[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Jul 27, 2011 at 13:59:08 ]
it means baas will not be playing for us this year
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by WildBill:
I think people are not facing reality. Bass got, according to sources top 3-4 center pay. Is he worth that. Have some of you considered the salary cap.? Did you know that it is less than last year at $120 mil.? As of right now we are about 6-7 mil under the cap., which will be increased by another 2.375 mil with the release of Carr. The niners want to renegotiate Nates contract, but won't let him go unless they get someone to replace him. So who knows how much more they will get from that?.

On paper Wragge and Snyder will be vying for the job, but as stated Chase Beeler is in the mix as he is familiar with Harbaugh’s system and Harbaugh may feel he has what it takes. Beeler was an AP All American 1st team and Walter Camp 2nd team All American. There is also talk that the niners are looking at Olin Kruetz, although old, he is an All Pro.

Exactly...

Does Baas really deserve to be paid on par with the likes of Nick Mangold, Jeff Saturday, and Matt Birk? All-Pro / Pro Bowl players?

Simple answer: No.

Totally agree... I'm sure the Niners had a number in mind when they went to Baas and the G-men just exceeded it....by a fair bit I'd imagine. With every team being more salary cap conscious now that the CBA has been signed, the Niners obviously felt the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Sucks for the moment but in the long term, it is probably a good plan, especially when you take into account that Baas my not be ideally suited to a WCO. No disrespect towards him but I just think the team decided not to spend that much money on the C position at this stage. Objectively, I can't disagree.
I'm guessing this means no more snaps going out of the back of our own endzone on MNF?
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
This one troubles me. I think resigning Baas should have been a priority. What is Plan B, or Plan C given Heitman is out.

FA, Snyder, Beeler.

Yeah, Snyder or a FA most likely, with Beeler as a darkhorse. O'Hara, Kreutz(sp?), and Goodwin are all intriging, but they are 10 years in or more. This idea might not be very popular, but I believe Chris Spencer is on the market. Mike Solari was his coach during his year in Seattle. With their aquisitons this year he will not be returning there. Also ESPN FA tracker has a pretty favorable scouting report on him. What do you think?http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=8441

I was looking at that same thing. Seattle doesn't seem to want him back, I read they're looking to start Max Unger. Might not be much of a dropoff at all.
Originally posted by RollinWithColin:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
This one troubles me. I think resigning Baas should have been a priority. What is Plan B, or Plan C given Heitman is out.

FA, Snyder, Beeler.

Yeah, Snyder or a FA most likely, with Beeler as a darkhorse. O'Hara, Kreutz(sp?), and Goodwin are all intriging, but they are 10 years in or more. This idea might not be very popular, but I believe Chris Spencer is on the market. Mike Solari was his coach during his year in Seattle. With their aquisitons this year he will not be returning there. Also ESPN FA tracker has a pretty favorable scouting report on him. What do you think?http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=8441

I was looking at that same thing. Seattle doesn't seem to want him back, I read they're looking to start Max Unger. Might not be much of a dropoff at all.

hes one of the best centers in the nfl
baas had his admirers, but he also had his detractors. Face it, he never turned out to be that top 3 of 4 OC in the game, and maybe it was the coaching or maybe it was him. Whatever, he wasn't worth money Giants offered, nor was he worth what we were paying him. In this tumultuous next 96 hrs or so, I would be amazed if we can't get several good OCs and some UFAs to come out and get worked out .Baas worked out as well as nate did and neither one did great. Move on. New blood, and there is a lot out there,with some amazing jockeying going on. Let's find us a center.
It means that Baas is a dirt bag traitor

It means that the Giants will have two players whose names are pronounced "Boss"

It means I hope he dies, his neck gets cut off, and tiki barber sh*** down his neck

It means that NY fans will not tolerate his mediocre play
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I'm guessing this means no more snaps going out of the back of our own endzone on MNF?

True that
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

That happened ONCE and it was early on. Not bad for a guy who had not been snapping since college. He was solid the entire year.

WTF??? Baas signed with the Giants??? I thought for sure he was gonna sign with us.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pelos21:
WTF??? Baas signed with the Giants??? I thought for sure he was gonna sign with us.

I actually thought he would be the FIRST to re-sign.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
I think people are not facing reality. Bass got, according to sources top 3-4 center pay. Is he worth that. Have some of you considered the salary cap.? Did you know that it is less than last year at $120 mil.? As of right now we are about 6-7 mil under the cap., which will be increased by another 2.375 mil with the release of Carr. The niners want to renegotiate Nates contract, but won't let him go unless they get someone to replace him. So who knows how much more they will get from that?.

On paper Wragge and Snyder will be vying for the job, but as stated Chase Beeler is in the mix as he is familiar with Harbaugh’s system and Harbaugh may feel he has what it takes. Beeler was an AP All American 1st team and Walter Camp 2nd team All American. There is also talk that the niners are looking at Olin Kruetz, alth
old, he is an All Pro.

If Beeler is so great, why wasn't he drafted? UFA's are rarely anything but training camp fodder....

I said it was rare...LaGarrette Blount was not drafted due to a disciplinary issue...Chase Beeler just wasn't drafted...32 teams passed...for no apparent reason

While rare-it is one of those right player with the right team. With the niners and Beeler they are a good match. What was that RB that signed with us then bolted to the TB Bucs that started. Never say never. Dwight Clark in this day and age would have been a UDFA- but if he hooked with the niners he still would have succeeded. Camp fodder? only time will tell...if the draft was so all telling then tell me why there are busts in the 1st and successes in the latter round, cause it is an inexact science and sometimes it is a matter people and teams fitting together.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
It means that Baas is a dirt bag traitor

It means that the Giants will have two players whose names are pronounced "Boss"

It means I hope he dies, his neck gets cut off, and tiki barber sh*** down his neck

It means that NY fans will not tolerate his mediocre play

LMFAO! lil harsh but still made me laugh.

sounds like you got something personal against the man.
It means we have a huge f**king hole in the center of our line....f**k...

Harbaugh and co. better have a backup plan. I don't want to see a L because of a bad snap or blown assignment. Centers have a pivitol role on the line and we just let a good one walk...f**k
Share 49ersWebzone