There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

With Baas to the Giants, what does that mean for us?

Great news. Now, we have Rachal playing between Davis and a question mark.

Just like losing Heitmann was a big loss in 2010, unless the team can pull off a really talented free agent center soon, this is a major negative. The team is down two major interior linemen, and Rachal has shown himself to be highly inconsistent.

The team better get Nnamdi, or find shockingly good talent in the interior line in free agency, because this offense is going to be disasterous, especially early in 2011.

As much as many fans want to believe that our front office knows what it is doing, I still remain highly skeptical. Prove me wrong, Trent.

Me no likey the player personnel direction of the team this offseason.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jul 27, 2011 at 10:41:47 ]
Seriously could not care less about Baas going. He was solid, but completely unspectacular. He had a number of bad snaps and although he seemed to generally get good push, we could easily upgrade.

Snyder has been practicing at center, and we re-signed Wragge. We drafted another center and currently have four guys who can play center if you tack on Beeler. I'm sure out of Snyder, Wragge, Kilgore, Beeler and the FA Market.. we can find someone worthy. The question is, what combination will gel the best?

One thing's for sure, I think Kilgore and Person's chances of making the team just skyrocketed and could make them virtual locks now. If we sign no free agent OL, we have:

LT - Staley, Boone
LG - Iupati, Person
OC - Snyder, Wragge
RG - Kilgore, Rachal
RT - Davis, Snyder

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jul 27, 2011 at 10:48:21 ]
Kilgore is not a starter, he is still extremely raw.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Just like losing Heitmann was a big loss in 2010, unless the team can pull off a really talented free agent center soon, this is a major negative. The team is down two major interior linemen, and Rachal has shown himself to be highly inconsistent.

The team better get Nnamdi, or find shockingly good talent in the interior line in free agency, because this offense is going to be disasterous, especially early in 2011.

As much as many fans want to believe that our front office knows what it is doing, I still remain highly skeptical. Prove me wrong, Trent.

Baas agreed to terms on a contract with the New York Giants that will pay him money commensurate with the top three or four centers in the league, the source said.

he can walk for that price
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

Baas agreed to terms on a contract with the New York Giants that will pay him money commensurate with the top three or four centers in the league, the source said.

Hell yeah. I'm not sure Baas is one of the top 20 Centers in the league.

If Baas was looking exclusively at the highest bidder, then you make a great point. I am not so sure he is worth that amount of money. If he was willing to sign with the Niners for a bit less, then maybe you slightly overpay to ensure some stability on the OL for the next couple of years.

Isn't Alex Smith the key difference-making person in 2011? Now, we shift him to our third center, and third string center from a year ago. Even another vet center coming in to take over may be unsettling. I would pose the idea that Smith finished the season well due to his comfortability with the offense and personnel toward the end of last year's campaign. Now, a new system, and new guy under center, just like last year.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jul 27, 2011 at 11:23:50 ]

If Baas was looking exclusively at the highest bidder, then you make a great point. I am not so sure he is worth that amount of money. If he was willing to sign with the Niners for a bit less, then maybe you slightly overpay to ensure some stability on the OL for the next couple of years.

Isn't Alex Smith the key difference-making person in 2011? Now, we shift him to our third center, and third string center from a year ago. Even another vet center coming in to take over may be unsettling. I would pose the idea that Smith finished the season well is due to his comfortability with the offense and personnel toward the end of last year's campaign. Now, a new system, and new guy under center, just like last year.

Did I miss something on Heitman or is he not coming back?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Seriously could not care less about Baas going. He was solid, but completely unspectacular. He had a number of bad snaps and although he seemed to generally get good push, we could easily upgrade.

Snyder has been practicing at center, and we re-signed Wragge. We drafted another center and currently have four guys who can play center if you tack on Beeler. I'm sure out of Snyder, Wragge, Kilgore, Beeler and the FA Market.. we can find someone worthy. The question is, what combination will gel the best?

One thing's for sure, I think Kilgore and Person's chances of making the team just skyrocketed and could make them virtual locks now. If we sign no free agent OL, we have:

LT - Staley, Boone
LG - Iupati, Person
OC - Snyder, Wragge
RG - Kilgore, Rachal
RT - Davis, Snyder

I agree with you overall. Baas was not worth what NY gave him, IMHO.

I'd go with

LT - Staley, Boone
LG - Iupati, Person
OC - Wragge, Kilgore
RG - Snyder, Rachal
RT - Davis, Boone

That gives you five NFL-experienced OL to start off with. And I like Snyder at RG alot better than Rachal.

Don't know the knock on Wragge. He's played well when given the opportunity over the past few years. He seems capable of filling in, for now, at OC. IMHO.
I see us signing Sean O' Hara at the last minute.

Isn't Alex Smith the key difference-making person in 2011? Now, we shift him to our third center, and third string center from a year ago. Even another vet center coming in to take over may be unsettling. I would pose the idea that Smith finished the season well is due to his comfortability with the offense and personnel toward the end of last year's campaign. Now, a new system, and new guy under center, just like last year.

Heitmann is out for another full year with a lingering neck injury, which seems likely to be career ending, sadly.
is ryan kalil a free agent---foxsports lists him as one, but i think he reuppedwith carolina
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
means the sky is falling or that Wragge is our starting C. choose your own adventure....

Heitmann will be out until November or December due to a neck fracture. According to Joe Staley, the broken neck happened last season during one of Dingledong's Nutcracker Drills. Genius!!!!

You should have seen some of the guys going off on the stupid idea of Nutcracker drills on ESPN last night. Funny!
Originally posted by boast:
means the sky is falling or that Wragge is our starting C. choose your own adventure....

Snyder is probably going to start.

Heitmann will be out until November or December due to a neck fracture. According to Joe Staley, the broken neck happened last season during one of Dingledong's Nutcracker Drills. Genius!!!!

You should have seen some of the guys going off on the stupid idea of Nutcracker drills on ESPN last night. Funny!

gotcha...for some reason I thought he was healthy

still though you usually play the wait and see card, I would recommended doing that