There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

With Baas to the Giants, what does that mean for us?

Originally posted by brooklyn49er:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
We just can't find any stability on the line. Our already volatile and underwhelming line just got sent into a tailspin with a massive hole at C.

It's amazing how we've been so unable to put our players in the best position to succeed. This is most evident in Baas:
1. We draft him at the top of the 2nd round after he dominated as a C in college.
2. We move him to guard where it doesn't work for 4 years.
3. We then move him to C only because circumstances necessitated the move and then he goes to have his best season and subsequently leaves to the Giants.

Without Baas, who are our best options? Kilgore? Pearson? A FA? Baas was the best FA C available.

-9fA

Mike Nolan is an idiot. He set us back a good 4 or 5 years. Draft a college center well lets move him to OG. Get Manny Lawson inexperienced as it is DE but oh wait move him to a 3-4 LB. Draft players for the position you need, we can't be messing around. We are not good enough of a team to do that. Take a one year guy from Utah played in a non pro spread offense over, nevermind...

If you notice, the current regime is doing the same thing. Hopefully, with better results, but time will tell.
I hope Goldson is next to leave. Fully expecting a rebuilding year.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Keep in mind that if the 49ers don't sign any big free agents, they will have a lot of cap room in future seasons. It is risky for the 49ers to overpay players, because there are now cap ramifications. I am worried about losing Baas, but if one team overpays, that doesn't mean that the 49ers should overpay as well. With the 99% cap rule, a lot of teams are going to being throwing money at free agents.
Originally posted by DShanghai69er:
It means: "Oh no! We suck (more) again!!!"

I want to believe in Alex, but it looks like we're gonna be handicapped at several key positions: QB, C (the anchor of our O-Line), and NT (the anchor of our D-Line) once Franklin leaves. Oh, and our secondary is very sub-par as well. Oh wait!!! We've decided to ante-up for Goldson who's had one great game in his career.

Good luck, Harbaugh...

couldn't agree more.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Olin Kreutz is a FA.
That hurts
  • HIMYM
  • Veteran
Has this news been confirmed by anyone except PFT yet?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Our maybe that UDFA from Stanford could replace Baas. Harbaugh knows him and he was a Pac-10 first team so he's got some acculades.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Jul 27, 2011 at 08:25:29 ]
Can't believe we are going for goldson but let baas walk.
It means we go find another center?

And all this doom and gloom, too? Pull the panties off guys and grab a jock. For crying out loud, this is football and there are reasons why we didn't resign Spikes or Baas.

And NO, you guys don't know why. It's all speculative on our part. Letting these guys go is not failure. They have priorities and those two weren't one of them.

See ya!!!!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:
It means we go find another center?

And all this doom and gloom, too? Pull the panties off guys and grab a jock. For crying out loud, this is football and there are reasons why we didn't resign Spikes or Baas.

And NO, you guys don't know why. It's all speculative on our part. Letting these guys go is not failure. They have priorities and those two weren't one of them.

See ya!!!!

Originally posted by Otter:
Olin Kreutz is a FA.

Jonathan Goodwin from the Saints too. We could find a good stop gap while the younger guys learn the ropes.
Originally posted by HIMYM:
Has this news been confirmed by anyone except PFT yet?

Their source is Barrows' twitter.
This one troubles me. I think resigning Baas should have been a priority. What is Plan B, or Plan C given Heitman is out.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BSofSF:
This one troubles me. I think resigning Baas should have been a priority. What is Plan B, or Plan C given Heitman is out.

FA, Snyder, Beeler.