There are 172 users in the forums

With Baas to the Giants, what does that mean for us?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Let's not panic here. Baas has been a colossal underachiever here. Yes, part of that has been the very poor coaching but there have been rumors from the start that he was very slow to pick up the details of what he needed to do. He started rather slowly last season at center but improved as the season went along. By year's end, most were surprised at how well he had done, but that was only in reflection of very low expectations.

So, again, let's not panic over a guy who achieved journeyman level performance for about half the season last year. That is certainly not enough to earn a big contract. Wragge played decently last season and has enough experience to fill the gap until a younger, better player emerges.

Let's face it guys. This franchise is not nirvana. It has been a long time since players dreamed of coming here. Since Mooch left this has been the nightmare destination, not the dream home it once was.
This is the NFL nobody tanks a season....

It seems to me that the Team doesnt feel that these guys are worth the money that they are getting on the open market and figure on replacing them with cheaper and younger players. I do think we are treading in scary territory in that we are letting a lot more guys walk than we intended at this point though. We were not going to be active in free agency before, now we have to be. We wont have enough players to field a team if we keep this up.

I think they figured on TKO and Franklin leaving, but Baas was a surprise and now Goldson may be as well. What scare me is that they may knee jerk into paying too much for Goldson now that they lost Baas, or that they might just roll with the leagues left overs now that their plans are shot to hell. We will have to find some low dollar high value replacements for the guys who have walked, and maybe if we are smart about it take the money we save with a restructure of Clements and add one of the better Corners that are still left.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brooklyn49er:
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
We just can't find any stability on the line. Our already volatile and underwhelming line just got sent into a tailspin with a massive hole at C.

It's amazing how we've been so unable to put our players in the best position to succeed. This is most evident in Baas:
1. We draft him at the top of the 2nd round after he dominated as a C in college.
2. We move him to guard where it doesn't work for 4 years.
3. We then move him to C only because circumstances necessitated the move and then he goes to have his best season and subsequently leaves to the Giants.

Without Baas, who are our best options? Kilgore? Pearson? A FA? Baas was the best FA C available.

-9fA

Mike Nolan is an idiot. He set us back a good 4 or 5 years. Draft a college center well lets move him to OG. Get Manny Lawson inexperienced as it is DE but oh wait move him to a 3-4 LB. Draft players for the position you need, we can't be messing around. We are not good enough of a team to do that. Take a one year guy from Utah played in a non pro spread offense over, nevermind...

What's your opinion of Harbaugh? Must be an idiot too, right? He just drafted Aldon Smith a college DE and plan to move him to a 3-4 LB.

Must be. Because Harbaugh drafted him right. Because he is the Gm on the team who made the decision right?

Ah, so Nolan made the decision alone to draft Lawson, and Harbaugh had no input on the Aldon Smith pick.
Bass will be a loss, but he was on the verge of getting cut/traded before emerging as a servicable center. I'm still more concerned with RG now that Snyder will likely penciled in as the starter at C until someone steps up. IMO now the Niners should go after one of the more premier guards so that who ever is at Center gets help from a vet along with A. Davis.

What I dont get is how are other teams making offers on our guys? I thought we had a window to sign our own guys before they can get shopped? or is it because they were already unresitricted FA's?
It means the Giants have our playbook.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Everybody breathe...this is a business. If the Giants pay more than what we have Baas valued as, then that is the nature of the business. He was highly valued by the Niners but another team paid more. In the end it is Baas' decision to leave or stay. In this new CBA all teams have to spend right up to the cap. It is not that the Yorks are "saving money" or are being stingy. Look at teams like the Cowboys - they've released Williams, Barber, Columbo, etc. because of the nature of the cap. Just be patient and let things play out. My goodness, we lose a center and a 34 year old linebacker and people think the season is "tanked."

Let's just see what this team can do with real coaching.

Also, by not being able to sign our own FAs means that there will be more money that we "MUST" spend on other FAs...

[ Edited by WWFGD on Jul 27, 2011 at 08:02:39 ]
Snyder took it upon himself to start learning the position...that's a huge attaboy for him. Not sure if he suspected Baas would go elsewhere, but all's not lost. I really felt DB would return, but these things happen. Wragge's also a player here...he's an experienced vet who can play both C and OG. Also, this turn of events could bode well for Beeler making the team.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Baas was ok but why overpay for him? I mean I dont know how much he got but it makes sense for a team like the Giants to grab him because he's cheap for them, fills a need with OHara gone, and they have Super Bowl aspirations.

Us on the other hand have a first year GM and HC. They probably want to do things their way and I dont doubt they have a plan.

Everyone is freaking out about resigning Alex but why not see what he can do with a real offensive mind? Its really a win win. We see what he does and he can be a stopgap for Kap in the meantime.

Many freaked out about TKO but he's on the downturn and its better to let him go a year early that a year late.

And now Baas. The guy was decent but nothing I would tie 3-4 years and 15 Mil too.

Gotta trust the front office and realize this isnt going to be fixed in a year or even 2. Harbaugh will want his type of guys and I trust that. That is all for my rant.

Good post! As much as we all would like to see our FAs want to stay with the team, they have no idea how they will fit in with Harbaugh and are being offered good money elsewhere. This is why people were saying the 9ers would be more hurt by the CBA delay than other teams...fear of the unknown.

But TKO is getting up in age and the 9ers have a log jam with young ILBs...so good time to make the change. Baas can be replaced as he has only one year at center and has been often injured.

Read that the 9ers are a serious player for Asomugha. That would more than make up for the loss of TKO in my book. On the other hand the kid from Stanford, Snyder, Wragge and the two rookies can compete at center (if Wragge stays).
Originally posted by 5280High:
Bass will be a loss, but he was on the verge of getting cut/traded before emerging as a servicable center. I'm still more concerned with RG now that Snyder will likely penciled in as the starter at C until someone steps up. IMO now the Niners should go after one of the more premier guards so that who ever is at Center gets help from a vet along with A. Davis.

What I dont get is how are other teams making offers on our guys? I thought we had a window to sign our own guys before they can get shopped? or is it because they were already unresitricted FA's?

I believe that was just a one day window on Tuesday. After that teams can make offers to anybody you want to. You just can't sign them til Friday at 6.
Originally posted by WWFGD:
Everybody breathe...this is a business. If the Giants pay more than what we have Baas valued as, then that is the nature of the business. He was highly valued by the Niners but another team paid more. In the end it is Baas' decision to leave or stay. In this new CBA all teams have to spend right up to the cap. It is not that the Yorks are "saving money" or are being stingy. Look at teams like the Cowboys - they've released Williams, Barber, Columbo, etc. because of the nature of the cap. Just be patient and let things play out. My goodness, we lose a center and a 34 year old linebacker and people think the season is "tanked."

Let's just see what this team can do with real coaching.

Also, by not being able to sign our own FAs means that there will be more money that we "MUST" spend on other FAs...

yes

It means: "Oh no! We suck (more) again!!!"

I want to believe in Alex, but it looks like we're gonna be handicapped at several key positions: QB, C (the anchor of our O-Line), and NT (the anchor of our D-Line) once Franklin leaves. Oh, and our secondary is very sub-par as well. Oh wait!!! We've decided to ante-up for Goldson who's had one great game in his career.

Good luck, Harbaugh...
we need to bring back Tony Wragge asap
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
We just can't find any stability on the line. Our already volatile and underwhelming line just got sent into a tailspin with a massive hole at C.

It's amazing how we've been so unable to put our players in the best position to succeed. This is most evident in Baas:
1. We draft him at the top of the 2nd round after he dominated as a C in college.
2. We move him to guard where it doesn't work for 4 years.
3. We then move him to C only because circumstances necessitated the move and then he goes to have his best season and subsequently leaves to the Giants.

Without Baas, who are our best options? Kilgore? Pearson? A FA? Baas was the best FA C available.

-9fA

Mike Nolan is an idiot. He set us back a good 4 or 5 years. Draft a college center well lets move him to OG. Get Manny Lawson inexperienced as it is DE but oh wait move him to a 3-4 LB. Draft players for the position you need, we can't be messing around. We are not good enough of a team to do that. Take a one year guy from Utah played in a non pro spread offense over, nevermind...

If you notice, the current regime is doing the same thing. Hopefully, with better results, but time will tell.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I hope Goldson is next to leave. Fully expecting a rebuilding year.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Keep in mind that if the 49ers don't sign any big free agents, they will have a lot of cap room in future seasons. It is risky for the 49ers to overpay players, because there are now cap ramifications. I am worried about losing Baas, but if one team overpays, that doesn't mean that the 49ers should overpay as well. With the 99% cap rule, a lot of teams are going to being throwing money at free agents.
Share 49ersWebzone