There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ray McDonald wants to be a starter, why the hell shouldn't he be?

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by Vernon85:
I hope he starts next year, whenever he's in he seems to be effective

Smith-Soap-McDonald
Smith-Spikes-Willis-Brooks

swap Brooks with Laboy and you got a starting front 7

Laboy can't do anything except rush the passer

Thats fine if we are running that 2-4-5 people keep mentioning.

Yeah, he's fine on passing downs, but he can't play in base D

Do you think 2-4-5 would be our base D?

Nah, I think we will run a 3-4. 2-4-5 is tough to run base, and we don't have the beef inside.
2-4-5 just opens up "Big Nickel" scars.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

Dammit mike Nolan
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by Vernon85:
I hope he starts next year, whenever he's in he seems to be effective

Smith-Soap-McDonald
Smith-Spikes-Willis-Brooks

swap Brooks with Laboy and you got a starting front 7

Laboy can't do anything except rush the passer

Thats fine if we are running that 2-4-5 people keep mentioning.

Yeah, he's fine on passing downs, but he can't play in base D

Do you think 2-4-5 would be our base D?

Nah, I think we will run a 3-4. 2-4-5 is tough to run base, and we don't have the beef inside.

Exactly. Against pass happy teams we may run 2-4-5 on 2nd downs and more often than usual, but first downs always call for a meaty DL.

-9fA

Just imagine a similar personnel package with a coach that isn't afraid to attack. That D is to small to sit back and play base defense rules, but they are too fast to account for when the right pressure is called up. Pressure defenses put more responsibility on the coach to make the right call. I think the will play a lot of nickle against some passing teams, but it should be more fun to watch than in the past.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

-9fA

Just imagine a similar personnel package with a coach that isn't afraid to attack. That D is to small to sit back and play base defense rules, but they are too fast to account for when the right pressure is called up. Pressure defenses put more responsibility on the coach to make the right call. I think the will play a lot of nickle against some passing teams, but it should be more fun to watch than in the past.

I believe Manusky often went to the Nickel on 3rd and long. As I recall, he would bring the LBs and play a deep zone with the DBs (quarters I believe) causing a hot read which we would then stop for a short gain.

The 2009 MNF game at home against the Cardinals is a good example of how the nickel can be used effectively. In my opinion, that was Manusky's best game.

Whether Fangio employs the same tactic remains to be seen.

Disclosure: I could be wrong about all this, I'm no expert.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Jul 10, 2011 at 9:25 AM ]

-9fA

I believe Manusky often went to the Nickel on 3rd and long. As I recall, he would bring the LBs and play a deep zone with the DBs (quarters I believe) causing a hot read which we would then stop for a short gain.

The 2009 MNF game at home against the Cardinals is a good example of how the nickel can be used effectively. In my opinion, that was Manusky's best game.

-9fA

It often worked in 3rd and long situations, but the fact that you effectively summed up his nickle pressure package in one sentence illustrates the limitations of the scheme. Extra DBs allows extra blitz alternatives, allowing for trap protections where the hot read is actually covered. Covered hot route=interceptions.

-9fA

Disclosure: I could be wrong about all this, I'm no expert.

-9fA

Manusky loved bringing only 4 on third down - two DL's on the inside and two OLB's on the outside - my guess is Fangio brings a lot more heat - and when not blitzing will at least will have some non blitzing defenders near the line in an attempt to confuse the QB and OL.
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Between him, Goldson and Lawson, I'd hate to see him walk the most.

He won't. If Franklin leaves, which looks to be a done deal, he'll be one of our top priorities. Him and Goldson.

Hope you're right on both counts, but I hope we don't splurge on Franklin. Also, if Goldson has a dropoff in production like he had last season I would be weary to sign him long term.
We can't get rid of Goldson fast enough. Safeties that can't cover are not worth dog poo.
Originally posted by Giggidy:
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Between him, Goldson and Lawson, I'd hate to see him walk the most.

He won't. If Franklin leaves, which looks to be a done deal, he'll be one of our top priorities. Him and Goldson.

Hope you're right on both counts, but I hope we don't splurge on Franklin. Also, if Goldson has a dropoff in production like he had last season I would be weary to sign him long term.

Did u hear something from franklin that says this? otherwise its just speculation. hell i would aslo want to see my value elsewhere considering the team we continued to put up over the last couple yrs. I think we spend just like we have over the last couple seasons and the team will pretty much protected against a major drop in production.

Goldson i think we wont overspend on. he will be easier to replace.
This is pure speculation as well but does anybody see any team that's going to fork out a huge contract to Dashon? Is he that sought after?

I mean he's only had one decent season, and it was nothing spectacular. I think his game against Arizona where he played spectacular was really the only great game I can think of. Correct me if I'm wrong.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Jul 11, 2011 at 9:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
He is super fast off the snap, which gives him the edge against slower interior lineman.

I know injuries to the knee have slowed him down so i'm not sure if thats the best move.

If he plays full time the wear and tear will add up. He is a good backup for now. If he can show stability in that knee then he should be starting.

He's super fast off the snap, but he also guesses at the snap count a lot. I think he was offsides more than any other Niner. Not hating, he just can't afford to do that as a starter.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
This is pure speculation as well but does anybody see any team that's going to fork out a huge contract to Dashon? Is he that sought after?

I mean he's only had one decent season, and it was nothing spectacular. I think his game against Arizona where he played spectacular was really the only great game I can think of. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Agreed, that one game made his breakout season.... but it was exactly that, one game.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=94963

"-During a rollout, defensive end Ray McDonald caught Smith. Not bad for a 290-pounder. Later he bull rushed Adam Snyder, which led to a knocked-down pass of Smith's."

Sounds about right. I have high hopes for McDonald this year. He's gonna wreak havoc in that backfield.