LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Ray McDonald wants to be a starter, why the hell shouldn't he be?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:

you know what I DO hate, its that every team has a tongin on it that does this stupid dance before every game.....lame

you know what I DO HATE, its that fans think it's lame when player's do a dance related to their culture to fire their team up.....lame

what the f**k does his culture have to do with the 49ers?

Sorry Fred, gotta jump on you. First off, Soap is Somoan. Secondly, it's a cultural warrior dance. What would be more appropriate, river dancing? With that said, I still like you...

fair enough....but that dance is annoying to me for some reason. just to be a smart ass, if one of our players parents were from Scottland would it be ok if that player walked out on the field with bagpipes before every game?

whats wrong with bagpipes?

I think it would be hilarious. Wouldnt last more than 1 week but funny as hell.
Originally posted by ArtieLange:
Originally posted by ArtieLange:

What an appropriate user name for a worthless troll.
He is a 4-3 DT...not really a 3-4 DE. But he can come in on 3rd downs to rush the passer. We should be using the 4-3 more and he should play more....I don't think he cares about the "starter" tag, but he should get more snaps.
With all the hard work RayMac is putting in, I think he deserves to start. Let the Franklin ship sail. Ray Mac, Soap and J.Smith can hold it down for a year. It's not like we are going to the Superbowl.

For those of you who dont think Ray is big enough to play a 3-4, think again. I saw this dude standing right next to Soap and he was noticably larger. I remember saying, who the hell is that?
Originally posted by norsk:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by boast:
they better resign RayMac. i, too, would rather see ManLaw walk before him.

Agreed. Lawson is so overrated it's unbelievable.

Post 1,000

Only took me like 4 or 5 years.

Grats, breh. After many years of reading the articles and the forums, I decided to join. Hopefully, I'll be able to gain some clout here sooner than later. I know how tough it can be to gain the respect of a lot of the members in here.

Yeah NinerPride, congrats! It only took you four or five years so I guess it will take me a bit longer based on my post rate. I'll probably be retired by then. No, wait...I am already retired! I guess that the only thing I'll really have to look forward to here in the WZ is the 9ers next Super Bowl win!

Go Niners!
Im no genius but doesnt anyone remember Ray's been limited by a knee injury since we drafted him. I believe they played him sparingly to avoid ending his career too soon.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I think Ray McDonald would be a better player in a 4-3 defense.

He has been unequivocal about the fact that he wants to be a starter.

For better worse, I think he leaves.

This will create problems for us on the d-line.
  • ttime
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by 5280High:
He will start once Franklin leaves.... New DC, New mentality.

You know he wasn't gonna beat out J. Smith, and Manusky preferred to have another NT sized DE in Soap rather than a "mirror-image" of Smith like he always preached in McDonald. Soap was great at occupying blockers but he was never gonna terrorize the backfield like Smith. Ray has that capability.

Looking at our roster, we will need a DE when Soap moves over to NT and Ray would be a seemless transition. That will allow Tukuafu to get another year of understudying in and RJF can keep learning the NT position. We will probably bring in a FA for depth hand selected by our new DC.

Sounds like we're all on the same page:

1. No idea why the hell this guy hasn't been starting at DE in place of Soap.
2. Let Franklin walk and start Smith, Soap and RayMc.

I really really like the idea of putting Soap at NT because he's really only good for occupying blockers and that's a NT's primary responsibility.

Smith and McDonald rushing the edges could be lethal!

You still have no idea even though it's been mentioned several times up to the point of this post?

Ray McDonald can't stop the run or occupy blockers like Sopoaga does. He's a liability in run support. He came in on obvious passing downs because of that reason. It's the same reason guys like Ahmad Brooks don't start. He's had a lot more playing time than your average backup, but he's inconsistent and is often taken completely out of the play when the tackle or guard allow him into the backfield only to end up eating him alive - away from the QB or ball carrier. This looks like pressure, but it's a technique that OL's use to take guys like Ray McDonald out of a play. He over-pursues and only thinks about that sack.

This is why he didn't start and may not start if they re-sign him unless Franklin leaves and Sopoaga moves inside. I wouldn't mind seeing him start, but he's definitely not as good as people in here want to believe.

very good point and that very well could be the case. id still like to see him get more PT even if that means Soap has gotta sit some.

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying the guy sucks or anything like that, but I understand why he hasn't been starting over Sopoaga. Soap just does a better job of occupying blockers, which, in theory, should allow the OLB to get thru the line easier, but Lawson doesn't seem to make it happen regardless.

I totally disagree. This is ass backwards. SOAP gets zero penetration. If you are playing against a player who gets no penetration then it is much easier for the OL to block Lawson. I'm not saying that SOAP is incapable of holding the line, but he said it himself, that a play-maker makes plays in the backfield of which he does not do often. Lawson makes more plays in a qrt. than SOAP makes the whole game. IMO SOAP and that no pass defending no tackling safety are the two most over rated players on this board. Unless SOAP can improve or effectively play NT, he is not starting material.
I'm not sure if I recall him playing on a down that's not an obvious passing down.

you know what I DO hate, its that every team has a tongan on it that does this stupid dance before every game.....lame

if your going to insult a culture atleast get it right, he is samoan. I know some of soap's cousins here in hawaii and they are big into samoan culture (some dance over at polynesian cultural center) and love sharing their culture with anyone, so its not a surprise soap does too - especially a dance that gets people fired up

• ttime
Originally posted by footballxpaul:

you know what I DO hate, its that every team has a tongan on it that does this stupid dance before every game.....lame

if your going to insult a culture atleast get it right, he is samoan. I know some of soap's cousins here in hawaii and they are big into samoan culture (some dance over at polynesian cultural center) and love sharing their culture with anyone, so its not a surprise soap does too - especially a dance that gets people fired up

I think that dance is cool!
horrible

you know what I DO hate, its that every team has a tongin on it that does this stupid dance before every game.....lame

you know what I DO HATE, its that fans think it's lame when player's do a dance related to their culture to fire their team up.....lame

Sorry Fred, gotta jump on you. First off, Soap is Somoan. Secondly, it's a cultural warrior dance. What would be more appropriate, river dancing? With that said, I still like you...

fair enough....but that dance is annoying to me for some reason. just to be a smart ass, if one of our players parents were from Scottland would it be ok if that player walked out on the field with bagpipes before every game?

Don't know if I have time to answer this in full but to summarise, they sound horrible.
Originally posted by English:

Don't know if I have time to answer this in full but to summarise, they sound horrible.

Irish bagpipes are great, Scottish not so much. Can't go very far with one note.

Edit: Forgot to mention that McDonald may break down if he plays too many downs and the Samoan Dance is just fun! If you have a chance to see it in person by all means do so.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:38 AM ]
When you play well enough to take advantage of an opening, and you playe better than the rest of the candidates then you should be a starter. To be a starter by stating that you should be is immature. Win the job and get it done and if you can't win the job outright then play backup well.
Share 49ersWebzone