There are 47 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Round 3, #80, the San Francisco 49ers selects Chris Culliver, CB, South Carolina

It's fun going back to the beginning of this thread and reading people's reaction to drafting this guy.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm very, very impressed with this guy. He has tremendous speed, good size and seems to have good technique and a feel for the game. Even on passes completed he had good coverage. He was right there. Just great throws. And the interception was real good. I think he shows a lot for a real young guy and is pretty far ahead compared where you would expect him to be at this point. I believe his future is very bright. He has a real big upside. Something tells me he is far better than the 3rd round he was picked in. Just watching him in person he's very impressive and speedy and athletic.

Agreed. And if not at CB, I think he could be a big time asset at the FS position. I'd imagine we'd be targeting a legit CB in next year's FA or draft.

I think he's got the skills for CB. He's got the speed and technique. Even passes that were completed he has like blanket coverage. Sometimes they just make a real good throw. Maybe Safety in FA or Draft next year. I'd keep Culliver where he is. I can see him being an eventual starter at CB. I think he is that good. I don't see backup for long with him.

Great stuff to hear. I think Culliver can become a very good corner with coaching and experience in this league. He has all the physical tools and seems to always be right with his man in coverage. Can't wait to see this kid grow as the season goes along.
Culliver needs to learn to get his head turned and make a play on the ball. The throws against him often go entirely uncontested even when he has an easy chance for a play on them. He does not seem to have great awareness/sense of where the ball is.

In my opinion he is a much, much better fit at safety and should've been drafted to play there in the first place. With Williams and Goldson likely gone after this year, I think they should move Culliver to FS if they can't find anyone else and wind up signing/drafting starting CBs. If Reggie Smith can't stay healthy and/or is let go, by doing this we could then have..

FS: Culliver, Reggie, Spillman
SS: Whitner, Colin Jones

CB: Spencer, FA/Rookie, Brock, Brown, Rookie/Adams
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 2, 2011 at 3:09 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Culliver needs to learn to get his head turned and make a play on the ball. The throws against him often go entirely uncontested even when he has an easy chance for a play on them. He does not seem to have great awareness/sense of where the ball is.

In my opinion he is a much, much better fit at safety and should've been drafted to play there in the first place. With Williams and Goldson likely gone after this year, I think they should move Culliver to FS if they can't find anyone else and wind up signing/drafting starting CBs. If Reggie Smith can't stay healthy and/or is let go, by doing this we could then have..

FS: Culliver, Reggie, Spillman
SS: Whitner, Colin Jones

CB: Spencer, FA/Rookie, Brock, Brown, Rookie/Adams

Didn’t you know that it’s a pre-requisite to not turn your head when the ball is in the air, in order to be a Niner DB? Absolutely drives me crazy.
Where I can watch his INT from yesterday. I stopped watching the game at half time, gym is more important then pre season football.
Originally posted by susweel:
Where I can watch his INT from yesterday. I stopped watching the game at half time, gym is more important then pre season football.

Come on bro you telling me you can't use the shake weight and watch the game at the same time?
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 294
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Culliver needs to learn to get his head turned and make a play on the ball. The throws against him often go entirely uncontested even when he has an easy chance for a play on them. He does not seem to have great awareness/sense of where the ball is.

In my opinion he is a much, much better fit at safety and should've been drafted to play there in the first place. With Williams and Goldson likely gone after this year, I think they should move Culliver to FS if they can't find anyone else and wind up signing/drafting starting CBs. If Reggie Smith can't stay healthy and/or is let go, by doing this we could then have..

FS: Culliver, Reggie, Spillman
SS: Whitner, Colin Jones

CB: Spencer, FA/Rookie, Brock, Brown, Rookie/Adams

Disagree. Ball awareness will come in time. It's his first season and he's still learning. It's too early to say that he's struggling with this...also the fact that we've probably seen less than 5 balls thrown his way.

FS is one of the toughest positions to learn in the nfl. Yes, he has college experience in it but I think he'll get on the field a lot faster and start learning as a #2 or 3 corner than at fs.

Guess we should be drafting a safety next year though.what did you think of him in the sd game?
This kids going to be very good. He just started playing CB his Sr. Year. That is amazing. The kid plays well just on pure talent. Just wait until he masters technique. Beast Mode! Hopefully he and Rogers will be our starting CBs for years to come.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
This kids going to be very good. He just started playing CB his Sr. Year. That is amazing. The kid plays well just on pure talent. Just wait until he masters technique. Beast Mode! Hopefully he and Rogers will be our starting CBs for years to come.

Wouldn't be upset with this
i had a weird dream that involved a bit of the niner game(dunno why as it was a "side plot") anyway he had 2 int

doubt it happens but lets see if my dreams can tell the future
Should see some serious playing time this week, maybe he impresses and knocks Brown out of the nickel
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i had a weird dream that involved a bit of the niner game(dunno why as it was a "side plot") anyway he had 2 int

doubt it happens but lets see if my dreams can tell the future

clearly, they can't.
It's mind blowing that tarrell brown is going to be the #2 this week, with spencer and possibly brock out. (culliver #3)

I don't see that lasting past like the 3rd drive, after brown gets beat, or run over by a rb.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
It's mind blowing that tarrell brown is going to be the #2 this week, with spencer and possibly brock out. (culliver #3)

I don't see that lasting past like the 3rd drive, after brown gets beat, or run over by a rb.

Brown has started every game, no?
Well he gets his shot this week.....lets see if Baalke bet right on this kid.....