There are 168 users in the forums

CB Chris Culliver, South Carolina

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I was just watching the replay highlights of yesterday's game. Culliver was quite impressive, dude can play some man to man! He's going to be a good one for us.

Lets not suck, and cup just yet.

Lets see what happens against better wrs.

Exactly. If he can't shutdown the best WR's in the game, then obviously he was not worth a 3rd round pick.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I was just watching the replay highlights of yesterday's game. Culliver was quite impressive, dude can play some man to man! He's going to be a good one for us.

Exactly. If he can't shutdown the best WR's in the game, then obviously he was not worth a 3rd round pick.

thats right. if he lets calvin johnson catch just ONE pass. he is a bust and we need to dump his ass.
I didn't think much of him during the preseason, but yesterday's game was an eye opener. His pick was nice, but he made a play on the sideline on 3rd down where he exhibited some superb closing speed. If this guy's a starting quality CB that is HUGE, because we can then just focus our attention on improving our safety play, which is an area that needs improvement, IMO.
Lions are going to taste their first loss this Sunday!!!
Originally posted by jreff22:
He was compared to Peterson in measurable, just didn't have the experience. Still need to draft a CB next year but Chris playing the nickel looks good.

How was he compared to Peterson? Size, speed, ability to defend passes, smooth hips, ball awareness?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by jreff22:
He was compared to Peterson in measurable, just didn't have the experience. Still need to draft a CB next year but Chris playing the nickel looks good.

How was he compared to Peterson? Size, speed, ability to defend passes, smooth hips, ball awareness?

Patrick Peterson Height:
6'0"Weight:
219 lbs.Arm Length:
32 in.Hand Size:
9 1/4 in.College:
LSUConference:
SECPosition:
DB

Chris Culliver Height:
6'0"Weight:
199 lbs.Arm Length:
31 1/4 in.Hand Size:
8 5/8 in.College:
South CarolinaConference:
SECPosition:
DB

Injuries are clearly a red flag as Culliver heads into the NFL. He also needs to work on his angles when defending the run and he gets lost in coverage a little too frequently. At the same time, though, his potential is enormous. Culliver has good size at 6'0'' and 199 pounds and he has been clocked as fast as 4.32 in the 40-yard dash. A versatile defender, Culliver played both free safety and cornerback during his stay in South Carolina. As if his athletic prowess was not already obvious, he turned in a 38.5'' vertical jump at the combine.

Showed good instincts as a free safety. While aggressive, Culliver was rarely out of position and showed the discipline to stay home on trick plays and misdirection. Reads the eyes of the quarterback and gets a good break on the ball. Normal acceleration with a late burst to close. Quick, active hands in press coverage. Understands zone concepts and due to his experience at free safety and cornerback, understands the role of each member of the secondary. Has quick feet to stop, pivot and accelerate quickly. Competes for the jump ball well, showing an explosive vertical and good timing. Shows a late burst to close. Has natural return skills. Prefers to cut the legs out from under the ball-carrier for his tackles, but is more than willing to lower his pads and lead with the shoulder.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I didn't think much of him during the preseason, but yesterday's game was an eye opener. His pick was nice, but he made a play on the sideline on 3rd down where he exhibited some superb closing speed. If this guy's a starting quality CB that is HUGE, because we can then just focus our attention on improving our safety play, which is an area that needs improvement, IMO.

I still prefer Culliver at nickel. I like Culliver but I don't think he's starting material just yet. I still believe that we need to target a CB early in the draft.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

thats right. if he lets calvin johnson catch just ONE pass. he is a bust and we need to dump his ass.

Geez! You guys are tough...Idk if he can do all that now, that's extremely hard.

Did pretty good matched up against Calvin Johnson for most of this game.
Did Culliver start? Looks like he is the permanent 3rd CB. That is wonderful, I am happy for him. He certainly earned his money today and firmed up our Defensive backfield.

Held his own today.
Held his own today.

yeah, he didnt' do anything spectacular, but for a rookie, 3rd round converted safety to come in and play Calvin Johnson one-on-one an hold his own is damned impressive.

Fangio has such a great scheme, and this kid has serious balls.
Great game kid!
Held his own today.

Yup. Def played a solid game
Originally posted by SoTx9R:
Held his own today.

Yup. Def played a solid game

Glad to see this kid play so well!
Share 49ersWebzone