Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by GORO:
Harbaugh is very analytical. It is better to have Alex Smith around while this CBA thing unfolds. Also if he cannot get Kolb, Orton or even Johnson then it would be good for a rookie Qb to sit behind a veteran for 1 year.

Would you rather have Carr as your starter of Alex?

Do you want a rookie learning from Alex? I know I don't!

youre f**king annoying

Understated post of the day!

And you two suck Alex jock strap..

You REALLY want another warning, don't you? Stop turning every thread into an Alex Smith thread. And stop insulting other posters.

That was posted yesterday and they started it by calling me a troll.

Wow, are you really in your 30's bro?

Maybe if you're asking about it's IQ.

In case you didn't notice, I told fakers to stop insulting others. The same rules apply to you two. Knock it off, please, or there will be warnings.

I actually thought it was a legit question, but, okay... it was fun while it lasted.

Sorry fakers!

Originally posted by Chilly:
Sando is dead on right here, look at the last couple games Alex played. His numbers were good and his accuracy (especially on deep balls) was even better.

I would love to have him back especially because there aren't any better options out there (Vick and Manning stay put and Alex is better at this point than McNabb or Orton).

I'm also not sure about the qb's in this years draft and I think they are all rated a little too high. I would hate to pick up a QB in the first round because I would much rather have Amukamara or a beastly pass rusher.

If Sing would have played Alex over Troy we would have been in the playoffs and could have been one of the teams playing this weekend. If fans just opened their eyes a little bit more they would see that Alex not the problem.

Go Niners

thanks for this post---I am so happy Sing played Troy Smith against the Rams!!!!

It gave us Jim Harbaugh and all these new coaches and most of all it has given us Niner fans HOPE !!!!
I have the feeling that in an interview Alex will always come off looking good--the man is smart, well spoken.

But on the field he lacks so many of the things that Harbaugh seeks in his QB.

the accuracy, the leadership, the quick decision making.

I just don't think Harbaugh will want to take the chance that he is the miracle worker and can fix Alex--unless Alex is considered the backup--or a one year starter till the draft picks come of age.

I think if the Niners identify other needs that they want to use draft picks on--you could see Alex back--but he will be Walsh's Deberg---just there till the real QB comes along.
People just need to calm down on this thread and go feed some birds.

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
People just need to calm down on this thread and go feed some birds.

feed the birds, tuppence a bag, tuppence, tuppence....
[ Edited by classyfan49 on Jan 22, 2011 at 2:26 PM ]
Harbaugh is very analytical. It is better to have Alex Smith around while this CBA thing unfolds. Also if he cannot get Kolb, Orton or even Johnson then it would be good for a rookie Qb to sit behind a veteran for 1 year.

Alex please
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by jcashen87:
Originally posted by Boomer49:
People on here are hilarious !!! Harbaugh has to evaluate Alex because that is his job and if he makes an attempt to keep him he obviously thinks he has what it takes to be a productive qb at least for the short term and if he doesn't than he probably doesn't feel he has enough be productive. But if Harbaugh did not evaluate him and just sent him packing just because and he went to another team and played for a more stable orginization who had an identity as a football team and was successful most of you would whine and cry about how we let him go !!!

I disagree with you guys who say we would regret it if he does good somewhere else, things will happen the way they are going to happen. I think MOST SF fans know its been the end of the road with alex for more than a season, if he does good somewhere else it will probably be VERY limited but he wont do well here. Too much baggage too much mental mess. I really think half of Alex being so bad was his mental approach, and i think he himself has worked his way into a corner he cant get out of here in the Bay area. Most people wont be mad if he does OK somewhere else, the 49ers for me and many others are my focus. And whoever is the QB, Coach, etc. will be everyones focus after he leaves.

Good post. I agree that this would be most/all people's sentiments.

Harbaugh will evaluate and make a decision. IMO it would be a poor idea to resign Alex even as a stop-gap measure. It would just carry over the "loser" mentality that has dogged the Niners these past six years. The organization does need to turn the page. But still, it's the coaches choice and he is PC in saying its a blank sheet. Let's not forget that Walsh even worked with the loser for a couple of years (Even if DeBerg was better than the current loser; Deberg went on the have moderate success elsewhere).

People who beat the "no coaching" drum conveniently forget that he had three excellent QB coaches in McCarthy, Turner and Martz. Yet he never assimilated anything, nor demonstrated the spark that characterizes franchise QBs. He will flatter to deceive on the practice field, in training camp, because he is intelligent and he can make the plays and look good in a staged environment. He'll fool you; he did the other guys. But bring in the element of unpredictability (game time) and his lack of football instincts become apparent.

In two three years all this will be distant memory.

Alex's first good QB coach was Mike Johnson. McCarthy, Turner, and Martz were never his QB coach and were not all that hands on with Alex. Not to mention Alex didn't look too bad as a 22 year old 2nd year NFL QB the one year Turner was here and was on IR the entire time Martz was here. You make a horrible argument.

I'm just guessing, but you sound like an Alex supporter.

I should just let this pass, but I've got spare time on my hands

When people say Alex suffered from poor coach, most, almost all, of the time are alluding to the Head Coaching. I certainly wouldn't trust people here (sorry, but you included ) to be able to judge the quality of the position coaches. I'm putting the onus closer to the person responsible these past few years; particularly because recently our HCs have been administrators and motivators rather than "coaches." The OC is responsible for the offense, of which QB play is the most important component. So they do, in fact, take a very hands-on approach on coaching the QB, especially in practices and training camp. And that's what I mean by "QB coaches" . . . de fact QB coaches. OK?

Fact is Martz, Turner and McCarthy (two super-bowl winning, and one on the verge) were very hands-on with their instruction of the QB. If you're going to argue that point, there's not much one can say to you.

You say that Alex didn't look bad in his second year. I disagree. IMO the second year is when Alex demonstrated that he would never be a franchise QB. He failed to demonstrate the gametime instincts that is evident in the special players almost right away. He had had two of the elite offensive coaches providing guidance, but still . . . nothing. He was just going through the motions of playing the NFL QB, really. No spark. Soulless. Game over.

Aren't you among the group which is constantly saying that even "Montana could not have succeeded" in this environment? That's good for a laugh!
Actually statements such as those belittle the achievements of Montana and all the great ones. It's like saying: "With the right coaching Alex could be just as good as Montana."

Don't people who say stuff like that realise how intellectually challenged it makes them sound?

Hopefully, Alex will get the opportunity to play back-up somewhere. Hopefully, we'll be moving on.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

Aren't you among the group which is constantly saying that even "Montana could not have succeeded" in this environment? That's good for a laugh!
Actually statements such as those belittle the achievements of Montana and all the great ones. It's like saying: "With the right coaching Alex could be just as good as Montana."

Win = Failing at failure = Fail

Logic is hard.

Keep trying, though.
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by Chilly:
Sando is dead on right here, look at the last couple games Alex played. His numbers were good and his accuracy (especially on deep balls) was even better.

I would love to have him back especially because there aren't any better options out there (Vick and Manning stay put and Alex is better at this point than McNabb or Orton).

I'm also not sure about the qb's in this years draft and I think they are all rated a little too high. I would hate to pick up a QB in the first round because I would much rather have Amukamara or a beastly pass rusher.

If Sing would have played Alex over Troy we would have been in the playoffs and could have been one of the teams playing this weekend. If fans just opened their eyes a little bit more they would see that Alex not the problem.

Go Niners

C'Mon Man! Let it go, the guy will never be better than a backup in this league.

Sorry bud, you just don't know real football. Too many people rely on stats, wins and losses. You gotta look at everything as a whole then break everything down individually.

Once you do that you will see that Alex is very talented and has what it takes plus a little extra. If he would have been a part of other organizations he could be thriving right now. I really hope we resign him
I posted this the other day and you guys that continue to bash Alex still don't have a clue!

"Young signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1985 after being the first player selected in the 1984 NFL Supplemental Draft of USFL and CFL Players. However, the Buccaneers posted 2–14 records in each of Young's two seasons with them, and Young's record as starter was 3–16. In his 19 games, he threw for only 11 touchdowns with 21 interceptions while completing fewer than 55% of his passes. Although his time in Tampa Bay was miserable, San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh was impressed by Young's natural abilities and felt that his problems were due to the struggling Bucs organization."

I guess it does take a genius to realize what has been going on with Alex and the Organization that he has been playing for. Yeah I know his quote is about Steve Young but it's pretty similar to Alex's situation.
[ Edited by baybreaker707 on Jan 23, 2011 at 2:08 PM ]

Originally posted by baybreaker707:
I posted this the other day and you guys that continue to bash Alex still don't have a clue!

"Young signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1985 after being the first player selected in the 1984 NFL Supplemental Draft of USFL and CFL Players. However, the Buccaneers posted 2–14 records in each of Young's two seasons with them, and Young's record as starter was 3–16. In his 19 games, he threw for only 11 touchdowns with 21 interceptions while completing fewer than 55% of his passes. Although his time in Tampa Bay was miserable, San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh was impressed by Young's natural abilities and felt that his problems were due to the struggling Bucs organization."

I guess it does take a genius to realize what has been going on with Alex and the Organization that he has been playing for. Yeah I know his quote is about Steve Young but it's pretty similar to Alex's situation.

Alex Smith is no Steve Young.

Smith is worlds better than carr. he had a decent qb rating and is not an awful qb. His stats over the final 6 games were outstanding. And most of the picks he threw during the 0-5 starts were not his fault. in 05 he was drafted before he could drink a beer and anyone would have done bad with that OL and receiving corps. 06 he was only 22 and still had a terrible receiving corps (bryan gilmore was the #3 receiver and had 8 catches all year) yet he still played as well as could be reasonably expected. 07 he had to deal with the downgrade of turner to hostler and still we were at 2-1 and then he got hurt. 08 he was hurt. 09 he played real solid, even putting together a rating better than matt ryan's. and this year the first half of his games there was a lot of other stuff going wrong and the 2nd half he played well. so where exactly is his inexcusably (so not 05) awful play. he has done as well as possible most of the time given the oc turnover (dealing with guys like raye and hostler), lack of quality targets (nonexistant prior to 09)/protection, and lack of a head coach that could install/oversee/modify offensive game plans + help develop qb's. We could do a lot worse for than smith as a back-up qb.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
It's official. Sando doesn't know sh!t about QBs.

WCO needs a smart and accurate QB who can move the chains. Alex hasn't been able to learn one of the many systems he's been in in the past 6 years well enough to accurately call protection packages. Furthermore, he's one of the worst QB's on picking up the first down where he chooses to dump the ball off underneath way to much. And I don't even want to get started on the accuracy part of it with hitting receivers in stride and consistently placing the ball where only the receiver can make a play...

OK, and who was he learning from again? Hostler, Raye and Johnson? lol
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
Originally posted by baybreaker707:

Alex Smith is no Steve Young.

It's more like Nolan or Singletary is no Bill Walsh. Get a clue homie!
Using Steve Young and Tampa Bay is valid to a degree, but, Alex has had Martz, yet he was not selected by Martz, to start. He also had turner. Even though he did not have any of them for more than a year, you would think he would retain something of what they taught him mentally. Everybody likes to say he is super smart, well there is intelligent smart and there is football smart. Just like they say street smart. There is a difference. As it was said during one of the playoff games yesterday, some people think too much. When any athlete thinks too much it changes their mechanics in any sport. This applies especially to Alex, you can't undo this some people are are always like this.

In college Alex didn't play in a sophisticated offense, he wasn't required to read and check off and look off his 1st 2nd 3rd etc. In college it was simple. That is why Urban said he needs time to learn the system, but in the pros it is much more complicated.

When Alex has pressure and has to think he gets in trouble. He will be better coming of the bench when he doesn't have to think or worry. When the new season starts he will always be thinking and worrying of not screwing up, thus he will never make it as a starter.
Share 49ersWebzone