LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

Sando Talks Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm sticking to my original thoughts on this. Alex has been good at times, bad at times but I don't think any QB could have been really good under Nolan and Sing! That's just the facts!!!!! I'd rather see another year of Alex with this team and the new coaching staff then majority of these QB's that are available. I don't see a solid QB in the draft either that I'd take in the 1st round.
Originally posted by brhokla:
I'm sticking to my original thoughts on this. Alex has been good at times, bad at times but I don't think any QB could have been really good under Nolan and Sing! That's just the facts!!!!! I'd rather see another year of Alex with this team and the new coaching staff then majority of these QB's that are available. I don't see a solid QB in the draft either that I'd take in the 1st round.

Well now we get Harbaugh, a QBs coach, and he will make our final determination as to whether there is anything in the tank for Smith or whether it is time to move on.
I think alex will do fine with a coach like harbaugh, an offensive minded coach that knows how to game plan and call his own plays!!! That with some better offensive line play and better play calling I think it can work
If Harbaugh decides to keep him & that he has what it takes to be our future or at least hold the fort to find our future, then cool. I'll support it. I'm just tired of hearing how everybody thinks this dude is the worst QB ever.

& Saying how Aaron Rodgers was "the guy" & we missed the opportunity. Do you guys HONESTLY think Rodgers would've done well in this system ? Going through how many OC's & learning different offenses ever year ? Also with the O line that Smith had & the receivers who he threw to. We would've ruined his career too. Shoot, nobody would've succeeded with that line. Even Peyton & Brady wouldn't do anything, cos they screw up under pressure too.

Everyone thinks that it's Smith's fault, but it's not. People just needa open their eyes & see the situation that he was in. I'm not saying that he IS a great QB or the QB of our future, I'm just saying that people don't give him enough credit & just hate on him blindly without looking at any of the facts.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Using Steve Young and Tampa Bay is valid to a degree, but, Alex has had Martz, yet he was not selected by Martz, to start. He also had turner. Even though he did not have any of them for more than a year, you would think he would retain something of what they taught him mentally. Everybody likes to say he is super smart, well there is intelligent smart and there is football smart. Just like they say street smart. There is a difference. As it was said during one of the playoff games yesterday, some people think too much. When any athlete thinks too much it changes their mechanics in any sport. This applies especially to Alex, you can't undo this some people are are always like this.

In college Alex didn't play in a sophisticated offense, he wasn't required to read and check off and look off his 1st 2nd 3rd etc. In college it was simple. That is why Urban said he needs time to learn the system, but in the pros it is much more complicated.

When Alex has pressure and has to think he gets in trouble. He will be better coming of the bench when he doesn't have to think or worry. When the new season starts he will always be thinking and worrying of not screwing up, thus he will never make it as a starter.

So Martz and Turner are equal to Walsh? Is that what you're saying? Alex shoulder was still injured when he had Martz during camp (this is fact not an excuse). Also Steve Young got to sit behind Joe Montana, Alex was thrown to the wolves with no talent around him and Nolan as his coach (again this is not an excuse).
[ Edited by baybreaker707 on Jan 24, 2011 at 10:13 PM ]
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I posted this the other day and you guys that continue to bash Alex still don't have a clue!

"Young signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1985 after being the first player selected in the 1984 NFL Supplemental Draft of USFL and CFL Players. However, the Buccaneers posted 2–14 records in each of Young's two seasons with them, and Young's record as starter was 3–16. In his 19 games, he threw for only 11 touchdowns with 21 interceptions while completing fewer than 55% of his passes. Although his time in Tampa Bay was miserable, San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh was impressed by Young's natural abilities and felt that his problems were due to the struggling Bucs organization."

I guess it does take a genius to realize what has been going on with Alex and the Organization that he has been playing for. Yeah I know his quote is about Steve Young but it's pretty similar to Alex's situation.

Alex Smith is no Steve Young.

It's more like Nolan or Singletary is no Bill Walsh. Get a clue homie!
r u seriously comparing alex smith to steve young!
first of all alex doesnt have anything close to the rocket arm and mobility that steve young had. and the bucs teams that Steve Young played for were one of the worst teams in NFL history...
Originally posted by KennyBoiiii:
I posted this the other day and you guys that continue to bash Alex still don't have a clue!

"Young signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1985 after being the first player selected in the 1984 NFL Supplemental Draft of USFL and CFL Players. However, the Buccaneers posted 2–14 records in each of Young's two seasons with them, and Young's record as starter was 3–16. In his 19 games, he threw for only 11 touchdowns with 21 interceptions while completing fewer than 55% of his passes. Although his time in Tampa Bay was miserable, San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh was impressed by Young's natural abilities and felt that his problems were due to the struggling Bucs organization."

I guess it does take a genius to realize what has been going on with Alex and the Organization that he has been playing for. Yeah I know his quote is about Steve Young but it's pretty similar to Alex's situation.

first of all alex doesnt have anything close to the rocket arm and mobility that steve young had. and the bucs teams that Steve Young played for were one of the worst teams in NFL history...

Steve Young had a rocket arm??? Um......if you say so.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AKfanster:

Steve Young had a rocket arm??? Um......if you say so.

Using Steve Young and Tampa Bay is valid to a degree, but, Alex has had Martz, yet he was not selected by Martz, to start. He also had turner. Even though he did not have any of them for more than a year, you would think he would retain something of what they taught him mentally. Everybody likes to say he is super smart, well there is intelligent smart and there is football smart. Just like they say street smart. There is a difference. As it was said during one of the playoff games yesterday, some people think too much. When any athlete thinks too much it changes their mechanics in any sport. This applies especially to Alex, you can't undo this some people are are always like this.

In college Alex didn't play in a sophisticated offense, he wasn't required to read and check off and look off his 1st 2nd 3rd etc. In college it was simple. That is why Urban said he needs time to learn the system, but in the pros it is much more complicated.

When Alex has pressure and has to think he gets in trouble. He will be better coming of the bench when he doesn't have to think or worry. When the new season starts he will always be thinking and worrying of not screwing up, thus he will never make it as a starter.

So Martz and Turner are equal to Walsh? Is that what you're saying? Alex shoulder was still injured when he had Martz during camp (this is fact not an excuse). Also Steve Young got to sit behind Joe Montana, Alex was thrown to the wolves with no talent around him and Nolan as his coach (again this is not an excuse).

Smith's bestfriend also committed suicide. Not an excuse either, but that must've taken some kind of toll on him too yaknow ?

Are you seriously saying that Steve Young would've had similar success that he had with Walsh, if he came to this team in 2005 with Nolan and co. after being booed out of tampa bay? Please! He did not have a rocket arm or accuracy, I remember him throwing wobblers a lot in his early years with us.
[ Edited by baybreaker707 on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:10 AM ]

Are you seriously saying that Steve Young would've had similar success that he had with Walsh, if he came to this team in 2005 with Nolan and co. after being booed out of tampa bay? Please! He did not have a rocket arm or accuracy, I remember him throwing wobblers a lot in his early years with us.

He was quite accurate actually. His career stats are:

Rating :96.8
Percentage : 64.3
TDs : 232
INTs : 107

LB

Not similar but much better than Alex Smith for the exact reasons Walsh wanted Young: "Bill Walsh was impressed by Young's natural abilities"

No, I am not saying they are equal to Walsh-who is? However, although the offenses are different, he should have picked up some things from these coaches, and retained them, but it doesn't appear to be so. What you and others don't see obviously is that he is inconsistent. Misses the wide open receivers half the time. Now if the WR was not open, you can attribute that to poor OC scheme and play calling, but that is not one of my basis. You can also see that he plays better off the bench, when there is nothing left to be gained in the season, or the opponent is pi$$ poor (Zona) However, he tightens up when there is something still on the line. Meaning he CAN'T HANDLE PRESSURE. He thinks to much, which hinders his play, that tells his personality and menatality. At Utah he was a one hit wonder in a system offense. At the very least, you'd want to have a QB no less than tier of Hassleback, which he won't be.

What are you saying?

Martz, Turner, and McCarthy have made it to the Conference Championship games and one has made it to the Superbowl. So you are saying that this wasn't good enough teaching for Alex Smith?
If harbaugh wants to, I'm all for it...Clearly someone needs to be drafted but shouldnt be forced into it if the player is not there this season...

And as for a rookie or young QB learning from Alex, I dont think tahts so bad...Alex strikes me as a coach type down the line...Those that cant do, Teach they say. I dont think he's an idiot i just dont think he could play as well as he knows how to play if that makes any sense

Most coaches are failed players and very few successful players are all that successful at coaching
Share 49ersWebzone