Sando Talks Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Originally posted by KennyBoiiii:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I posted this the other day and you guys that continue to bash Alex still don't have a clue!

"Young signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1985 after being the first player selected in the 1984 NFL Supplemental Draft of USFL and CFL Players. However, the Buccaneers posted 2–14 records in each of Young's two seasons with them, and Young's record as starter was 3–16. In his 19 games, he threw for only 11 touchdowns with 21 interceptions while completing fewer than 55% of his passes. Although his time in Tampa Bay was miserable, San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh was impressed by Young's natural abilities and felt that his problems were due to the struggling Bucs organization."

I guess it does take a genius to realize what has been going on with Alex and the Organization that he has been playing for. Yeah I know his quote is about Steve Young but it's pretty similar to Alex's situation.

Alex Smith is no Steve Young.

It's more like Nolan or Singletary is no Bill Walsh. Get a clue homie!
r u seriously comparing alex smith to steve young!
first of all alex doesnt have anything close to the rocket arm and mobility that steve young had. and the bucs teams that Steve Young played for were one of the worst teams in NFL history...

Are you seriously saying that Steve Young would've had similar success that he had with Walsh, if he came to this team in 2005 with Nolan and co. after being booed out of tampa bay? Please! He did not have a rocket arm or accuracy, I remember him throwing wobblers a lot in his early years with us.

He was quite accurate actually. His career stats are:

Rating :96.8
Percentage : 64.3
TDs : 232
INTs : 107

LB

How accurate was he before he came to SF? What were his stats in Tampa?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This thread has evolved into another of one those threads.
I posted this the other day and you guys that continue to bash Alex still don't have a clue!

"Young signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1985 after being the first player selected in the 1984 NFL Supplemental Draft of USFL and CFL Players. However, the Buccaneers posted 2–14 records in each of Young's two seasons with them, and Young's record as starter was 3–16. In his 19 games, he threw for only 11 touchdowns with 21 interceptions while completing fewer than 55% of his passes. Although his time in Tampa Bay was miserable, San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh was impressed by Young's natural abilities and felt that his problems were due to the struggling Bucs organization."

I guess it does take a genius to realize what has been going on with Alex and the Organization that he has been playing for. Yeah I know his quote is about Steve Young but it's pretty similar to Alex's situation.

first of all alex doesnt have anything close to the rocket arm and mobility that steve young had. and the bucs teams that Steve Young played for were one of the worst teams in NFL history...

Are you seriously saying that Steve Young would've had similar success that he had with Walsh, if he came to this team in 2005 with Nolan and co. after being booed out of tampa bay? Please! He did not have a rocket arm or accuracy, I remember him throwing wobblers a lot in his early years with us.

LB

Ok that's what I thought. Now that you guys have looked it up, his stats were worse than Alex's first 2 years.

Alex
2005-06 San Francisco 9 40.8 Rating 50.9% 875 Yds 1 TD 11 INT
2006-07 San Francisco 16 74.8 Rating 58.1% 2890 Yds 16 TD 16 INT

Steve
1985 TAM 5 56.9 Rating 52.2% 935 Yds 3 TD 8 INT
1986 TAM 14 65.5 Rating 53.7% 2282 Yds 8 TD 13 INT

So if Alex was better in his first 2 years in the NFL and IF he had the luxury to sit behind Joe Montana and coached by Walsh, I'm pretty sure that would've done wonders for his career as well. I'm not comparing the players for what they've become, I'm comparing their situations. Steve Young was on a s**t team and so was Alex (facts). Steve Young went to a better team with great coaching and did well, Alex stayed on a s**t team with bad coaching and we still don't know what we have with him (facts).
[ Edited by baybreaker707 on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:38 PM ]
Agree its the smart move! And I can't believe you guys want a unproven rookie over Alex

LB

Ok that's what I thought. Now that you guys have looked it up, his stats were worse than Alex's first 2 years.

Alex

Steve

So if Alex was better in his first 2 years in the NFL and IF he had the luxury to sit behind Joe Montana and coached by Walsh, I'm pretty sure that would've done wonders for his career as well. I'm not comparing the players for what they've become, I'm comparing their situations. Steve Young was on a s**t team and so was Alex (facts). Steve Young went to a better team with great coaching and did well, Alex stayed on a s**t team with bad coaching and we still don't know what we have with him (facts).

This is the best, most logical pro--Alex argument I have ever read..

GREAT POST!!!
Originally posted by ace130:
Agree its the smart move! And I can't believe you guys want a unproven rookie over Alex

Yeah i'm about ready to see an unproven rookie over an unproven Alex!
Originally posted by JustaFan45:

I think the alex smith haters would rather see the worst college QB start than Alex
Originally posted by JustaFan45:

I think the alex smith haters would rather see the worst college QB start than Alex

Yelp give me a shot at the job!
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

LB

Alex

Steve

GREAT POST!!!

You know I thought people would understand what I was trying to do when I mentioned Alex in the same breath as Steve, but I guess I was wrong again for holding 49er fans to a higher standard.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

LB

Alex

Steve

GREAT POST!!!

You know I thought people would understand what I was trying to do when I mentioned Alex in the same breath as Steve, but I guess I was wrong again for holding 49er fans to a higher standard.

The more intelligent ones got it I am sure, we have some guys that are quite obviously not so smart though. They make it pretty obvious, then they become a good laugh every once in awhile.

Share 49ersWebzone