There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Why is Vince Young not on the list? I know he's stupid and acts like a diva, but the kid has a lot of talent. I would be interested to see what Harbaugh can do with him

[ Edited by hateroids84 on Jan 8, 2011 at 00:34:56 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hateroids84:
Why is Vince Young not on the list? I know he's stupid and acts like a diva, but the kid has a lot of talent. I would be interested to see why Harbaugh can do with him

If Harbaugh feels Young has some tools to work with it, I'd be all for it. I don't know if Young is the type of QB that Harbaugh wants though.
Originally posted by vaden:
I'd actually prefer Hill over any of the other options being bandied about. Like Alex, he will cost far less and likely provide similar, if not better, production.

Hill is a great backup, but as a starter? Not so much. He put up a good show with Detroit, but when it came down to it, he didn't get it done either.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by mryan1004:
I think McNabb would be the best fit, since he's already familiar with the WCO and wouldnt have as much difficulty adjusting. Plus, he'd be a good mentor to any rookie trying to learn the ropes in 2011.

However, Im thinking that Harbaugh goes for the "franchise" quarterback. Especially since Luck has decided to hold off on going pro. I wouldnt be surprised to see Kolb here as the QB of the future..........

I have to ask, what has kolb proved? ty detmer looked decent in andy reid's offense...

He's proven enough. He's had success (albeit limited) in the league, which puts him above any rookie QB available in this year's draft. He's MUCH better than Alex; if anyone fails to see that, then they're blind.

Yes, we are blinded by actual statistics showing that Kolb put up worse numbers than Alex while playing on a far better team, in a far better situation under far better coaching against far worse competition. Kolb looked horrible in his last game against one of the worst pass defenses in the league. Granted, he didn't play as much as Alex, and I'm not saying he's worse, but in no way has he proven he's any better.

He lit us up in September. He is still young and hasn't played enough to be condemed yet. I still see soem growth potential there. I am also intrigued by the possiblites of Josh Johnson, Matt Flynn, and Dennis Dixon options.

QBs lit up against 49ers defense. Manusky schemes gave them too much freedom to do things!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
He might be able to do something none of the last couple of coaches could do...coach up Alex Smith.

I wanna make a thread about that, but no math-magician can count how many bashers are gonna be in there...

I understand their reasoning, but all we need is for everyone to have an open mind especially since money might conflict with who we get. (QB)

Idk, if we get someone better than Alex, I'm all for it, but the chances of that, well aren't really known and so for now I say keep him as a backup. I just think he will serve as a better alternate than anyone else we may have.

I also would have liked to see how Nate Davis performed, but I guess he will have to wait his turn.

Overall, Harbaugh is an intelligent guy, he's no Bill Walsh, (as of now) but we can definitely count on him to really help rebuild this organization just like he did for other teams.

Finally, in good spirits and worry-free confidence, I can indeed say...

Go Niners!

I am always up for an upgrade at any position, but the pickings are slim...very slim.

"Coach up" a 7th year veteran, huh ? And which "expert" (besides yourself of course) told you that Alex can excel in an offense in the his first year running it ? Or was his college coach also lost, just like every other NFL analyst that you feel doesnt understand the game as well as you do.......

Listen man, you are pushing for a guy that had a worse year than Smith, on a better coached team, and is on top of that getting way up in years. I am no expert, and never claimed to be, but I know horses**t when I smell it and you buddy absolutely reek of it.

So how would you explain Warner's rise to stardom after getting axed in STL and NY ? Dumb luck ?

Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Bolden (sp?)
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
From that list I think McNabb has the most experience in the WCO. I'll pick McNabb.

McNabb is DONE.

I was lukewarm about McNabb before the season, but I didn't expect he fell so far so fast. It's incredible that Shanahan ran a WCO, yet McNabb never felt comfortable in the new schemes.
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
He might be able to do something none of the last couple of coaches could do...coach up Alex Smith.

I wanna make a thread about that, but no math-magician can count how many bashers are gonna be in there...

I understand their reasoning, but all we need is for everyone to have an open mind especially since money might conflict with who we get. (QB)

Idk, if we get someone better than Alex, I'm all for it, but the chances of that, well aren't really known and so for now I say keep him as a backup. I just think he will serve as a better alternate than anyone else we may have.

I also would have liked to see how Nate Davis performed, but I guess he will have to wait his turn.

Overall, Harbaugh is an intelligent guy, he's no Bill Walsh, (as of now) but we can definitely count on him to really help rebuild this organization just like he did for other teams.

Finally, in good spirits and worry-free confidence, I can indeed say...

Go Niners!

I am always up for an upgrade at any position, but the pickings are slim...very slim.

"Coach up" a 7th year veteran, huh ? And which "expert" (besides yourself of course) told you that Alex can excel in an offense in the his first year running it ? Or was his college coach also lost, just like every other NFL analyst that you feel doesnt understand the game as well as you do.......

Listen man, you are pushing for a guy that had a worse year than Smith, on a better coached team, and is on top of that getting way up in years. I am no expert, and never claimed to be, but I know horses**t when I smell it and you buddy absolutely reek of it.

So how would you explain Warner's rise to stardom after getting axed in STL and NY ? Dumb luck ?

Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Bolden (sp?)

Comparing Warner to Smith is apples and oranges, Warner was successful at one point, he looked like a NFL QB (MVP), Alex Smith didn't, other than when he played against the worst defenses in the league.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fastforward:
From that list I think McNabb has the most experience in the WCO. I'll pick McNabb.

McNabb is DONE.

I was lukewarm about McNabb before the season, but I didn't expect he fell so far so fast. It's incredible that Shanahan ran a WCO, yet McNabb never felt comfortable in the new schemes.

The same would probably happen if McNabb signed here. However, it's still better than what we've had at QB for the last 8 years.
Can Alex run the WCO? Don't we need a WCO QB?
McNabb...maybe he could do a Kurt Warner and revive his career.
Originally posted by B650:

McNabb is DONE.

The same would probably happen if McNabb signed here. However, it's still better than what we've had at QB for the last 8 years.

Alex out played McNabb in 2010.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

McNabb is DONE.

Yeah, that says a lot. The 2010 version of McNabb was pretty bad.
Originally posted by cuhran:
My First Choice Would Be To Try Getting Kolb By Trading A Draft Pick.

2nd Option Would Be To Sign A FA...Example: Orton Or Mcnabb, Draft Cam Newton If He's Available At 7th And Let Him Grow Under Mcnabb...I Would Not Take Any Other QB With Our 7th Pick. I Think All Other Qb's In The Draft Are 2nd Rounders, Mallet Is Good But Did Not Like How He Moved In The Pocket. If We Cant Get Newton @ 7 I Say We Go For a CB Or DE And Draft A QB Like Kellen Moore Or Blaine Gabbert In The 2nd Round..........

Why the hell do you capitalize every word?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

McNabb is DONE.

Yeah, that says a lot. The 2010 version of McNabb was pretty bad.

He's on the decline. Age and injuries. And as much as people don't like to admit it Alex has been better. Not saying he's the answer. But he could buy 1 year while you develop a rookie the right way.
Anyone in that list is possible, and I wouldn't be totally opposed to them.. aside from Sorgi, Johnson, and Brunell. We don't want Brunell starting..