There are 190 users in the forums

I hope we ae done with the 3-4 expieriment!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Niners99:
we have too much talent at LB and too little talent on the defensive line to make that switch.

This is for me the 3-4 4-3 equation. Not sure any more about our LB talent though. Spikes is not getting any younger. And we don't seem to be able to get a consistent pass rush from our OLBs. Dunno.

To my mind, these two posts are the crux of the discussion.

Ultimately, it comes down to Spikes and how much gas he has left in the tank. When Spikes hangs them up (or his body betrays him), this D is toast. I certainly do not see an heir apparent on this roster.

[/u]
The big Nipple is the problem
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by WillisToHOF:
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by valrod33:
I think we should stay in it. We just need to get a pass rusher and a a CB

having Takeo SPikes and WIllis in the middle is awesome

A CB? we need like 3. Shawntae was exposed this year, nate looked worse than a rookie, and tarrell brown is trash.

It comes down the pass rush man. I really think Clements and Spencer are good corners. They look bad because QB's have all day to throw against us.

Teams like NE, Baltimore and Pitt have been showing us the blueprint for years. You don't need all-star corners, but you NEED a pass rush to make the 3-4 work.

I think a stud safety is more important than a stud pass-rusher in the 3-4. throw sluts at them all game in the pass-rush (like we did last year) and as long as the guys up top do their job WELL, sluts get sacks and we are a top-5 pass rush defense if we talk sacks.

not ballsacks, either.

the football statistic, sack.

sooo your saying put a couple cheerleaders out there and we'll put opposing QB's under duress lol

Yeah, if she can get to the QB!
Maybe get one of those Lingerie League players...

Isn't that the beauty of what an ideal 3-4 is? DC schemes should produce sacks even if you blitz with any slutty pass-rusher.

I believe we were 6th in sacks last year, so top-5 is a stretch.

Yeah we had 44. But if you took away the 8 sacks that came against the Rams in the last game I believe, we would be middle of the pack. Our numbers were padded by playing in such a horrible division.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
We should go back to the 4-3 defense!

This would Walsh Sing & olan completly out of our system, as well as make it easier for rookies coming in to play right away.

Why do you want to go back to a 4-3? Half the league is switching to a 3-4 right now.

The part of the Niner D that the 3-4 represents (3 Down Linemen and 4 LBs) are playing quite well!! The secondary is the problem, and that isn't effected by the alignment.

The Niners could use a better pass rush, but its alot easier to find a good pass rushing OLB than a dominant pass rushing DE.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

This would Walsh Sing & olan completly out of our system, as well as make it easier for rookies coming in to play right away.

Why do you want to go back to a 4-3? Half the league is switching to a 3-4 right now.

The part of the Niner D that the 3-4 represents (3 Down Linemen and 4 LBs) are playing quite well!! The secondary is the problem, and that isn't effected by the alignment.

The Niners could use a better pass rush, but its alot easier to find a good pass rushing OLB than a dominant pass rushing DE.

What he said...............cover corners and a pass rusher are what the Niners need. Not a change of scheme.
Originally posted by verb1der:
3-4 or 4-3...I'm just glad the Manusky experiment is done.
Manusky is not the problem. The only two great defensive players we have are Willis and Smith yet our defense is always solid. We have never had a lockdown corner or a stud pass rusher and those are the two most important defensive positions.
Originally posted by WillisToHOF:
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by valrod33:
I think we should stay in it. We just need to get a pass rusher and a a CB

having Takeo SPikes and WIllis in the middle is awesome

A CB? we need like 3. Shawntae was exposed this year, nate looked worse than a rookie, and tarrell brown is trash.

It comes down the pass rush man. I really think Clements and Spencer are good corners. They look bad because QB's have all day to throw against us.

Teams like NE, Baltimore and Pitt have been showing us the blueprint for years. You don't need all-star corners, but you NEED a pass rush to make the 3-4 work.

I think a stud safety is more important than a stud pass-rusher in the 3-4. throw sluts at them all game in the pass-rush (like we did last year) and as long as the guys up top do their job WELL, sluts get sacks and we are a top-5 pass rush defense if we talk sacks.

not ballsacks, either.

the football statistic, sack.

sooo your saying put a couple cheerleaders out there and we'll put opposing QB's under duress lol

Yeah, if she can get to the QB!
Maybe get one of those Lingerie League players...

Isn't that the beauty of what an ideal 3-4 is? DC schemes should produce sacks even if you blitz with any slutty pass-rusher.

I believe we were 6th in sacks last year, so top-5 is a stretch.

cheerleaders get sacks 2 at a time.
Aside from Pat, Takeo, Justin, and perhaps Isaac & Aubreyo, how can we possibly know how deep we are at each position? We don't employ a lot of D packages and we surely don't rotate as much as most teams do. We wait until someone gets banged up before we say "aw shucks, we're screwed now, we have to play (insert name) now. He sucks." lol

My guess is we have the talent to compete with anyone in our conference based on how closely we competed against the NFC South Div alone! A new db coach, with an entirely different d scheme would make us competitive again in pass d; I like the "upside" with Kristick & Bowman - based on the few reps they have been given; and we're 1 A gap DL away from being a best in class DL. DL is not this team's weakness.

I would also add that D is not this team's problem. Although, we are better suited to playing a 4-3, cover 2 defense. We have to turn the D over to Pat like the Ravens & Bears do with Lewis & Urlacher. Would also help our safeties acclimate to a D & coverages that they ran in college.

that would be pretty stupid: 90% of the league will be running the 34 within 5 years as the rule changes have lead to a pass-first league.

Oh, and as for "Walshing" out Nolan and Sing....Um....Walsh ran a 3-4 genius.

Originally posted by jalapeno49:
Aside from Pat, Takeo, Justin, and perhaps Isaac & Aubreyo, how can we possibly know how deep we are at each position? We don't employ a lot of D packages and we surely don't rotate as much as most teams do. We wait until someone gets banged up before we say "aw shucks, we're screwed now, we have to play (insert name) now. He sucks." lol

My guess is we have the talent to compete with anyone in our conference based on how closely we competed against the NFC South Div alone! A new db coach, with an entirely different d scheme would make us competitive again in pass d; I like the "upside" with Kristick & Bowman - based on the few reps they have been given; and we're 1 A gap DL away from being a best in class DL. DL is not this team's weakness.

I would also add that D is not this team's problem. Although, we are better suited to playing a 4-3, cover 2 defense. We have to turn the D over to Pat like the Ravens & Bears do with Lewis & Urlacher. Would also help our safeties acclimate to a D & coverages that they ran in college.

In a cover 2 you need monstrous pass-rush. We have nobody that fits the bill at T or DE so how exactly are we better suited?
the scheme is not the problem..lol..its not havin corners that can cover.kinda hard to get a pass rush when we play a soft zone all the time. better coverage downfield is wut creates a good pass rush
Originally posted by Pfield9er:
the scheme is not the problem..lol..its not havin corners that can cover.kinda hard to get a pass rush when we play a soft zone all the time. better coverage downfield is wut creates a good pass rush

it also doesn't help when they can't play man either.
I saw an assload of Dime last Sunday.
If the team could upgrade the OLB position the D would be in a much better place and could be top 5. Haralson and Lawson cant generate any sort of pass rush, 6 sacks combined from your starting OLB's in a 3-4 is just plain horrible. We wouldn't be talking nearly as much about upgrading the secondary if the D could just get a pass rush.
Share 49ersWebzone