LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 143 users in the forums

I hope we ae done with the 3-4 expieriment!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Our defense is not the Steelers, or the Ravens D, but it's still a damn good D. This year and last year, was the best defense that we've had in a long time. People obviously forgot how atrocious our defense was before we installed the 3-4.

We have very little personnel for a 4-3. Who are our great edge rushers? Lawson??? Haralson??? LaBoy?!?!?...Sopoaga is NOT a 4-3 tackle, 4-3 DT's are supposed to get some penetration and disrupt plays in the backfield, does that sound like Sopoaga? or Franklin?...JSmith has never played full time 4-3 DT, and I doubt at this point in his career he's going to want to learn a new system. Besides Spencer, we don't have ONE good cover DB, and you need good cover DB's in a 4-3.

4-3 defense is old fashioned. The only 4-3 D worth a s**t in this league, is the Vikings, however, we don't have two true DT studs like they do, or a great DE. Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, this is what you think of when you talk about great defenses, and soon we can start throwing the Pats, Packers, and Chiefs into that mix...3-4 > 4-3.

Everything about this post is... just wrong. I'm just so horrified at the time it would take to deal with this one. You presume a great deal about what we do and don't have. We know we have subpar key personnel for the 3-4 For this personnel... that being rush LBs and a NT (with Franklin's slightly above average arse heading to FA). That much, we know. For you to say we don't have the DTs and DEs.... it's remarkable presumptuous. I'd rather go with the scheme that may be a question mark... over a scheme that is a proven failure. For this teams' personnel? 4-3 > 3-4

lol.....we have much worse personnel for the 4-3. No 4-3 DT's, and no edge rushers. You assume (from your other post) that Manny will be a stud in the 4-3. Please show me how many converted 4-3 DE's have become studs as an OLB in a 4-3, you have it the other way around, 4-3 DE's become studs in a 3-4...Aubrayo Franklin is one of the best NTs against the run, and that's basically what you want out of your NT.

What DTs/DEs do we have that will make an impact in a 4-3?? Like I stated in my previous post, Sopoaga is a not a good fit in the 4-3 (he has already proven that). JSmith is at the end of his career, he's not a DE anymore in a 4-3, and has seldom been used as a DT. And we obviously have 0 LBs that can create pressure as DEs.

Also, exactly how is the 3-4 a proven failure??? We were one of the best defenses last year, top 5 in sacks, top 5 in rushing yards, 4th in PA...ya, what a fail of a defense. This year we are not that great, but horrible, or a failure? that's a huge exaggeration. Most of it can be accredited to the lack of new schemes, and players just not wanting to play for Singletary anymore (see VD comments).

Maybe stats wise we were OK, but when we needed a stop, or the game was on the line, the defense failed. Alex Smith didn't lose the Saints game, the defense did. The Panthers game..same. Falcons? Clements does something right for once and picks off the pass, then fumbles the ball like an idiot...so the defense has another chance to stop the Falcons, and of course, they don't. That's 3 games right there. That would've taken us from 6-10 to 9-7. I think the defense is overrated, especially since they choke at the end when it counts.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Our defense is not the Steelers, or the Ravens D, but it's still a damn good D. This year and last year, was the best defense that we've had in a long time. People obviously forgot how atrocious our defense was before we installed the 3-4.

We have very little personnel for a 4-3. Who are our great edge rushers? Lawson??? Haralson??? LaBoy?!?!?...Sopoaga is NOT a 4-3 tackle, 4-3 DT's are supposed to get some penetration and disrupt plays in the backfield, does that sound like Sopoaga? or Franklin?...JSmith has never played full time 4-3 DT, and I doubt at this point in his career he's going to want to learn a new system. Besides Spencer, we don't have ONE good cover DB, and you need good cover DB's in a 4-3.

4-3 defense is old fashioned. The only 4-3 D worth a s**t in this league, is the Vikings, however, we don't have two true DT studs like they do, or a great DE. Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, this is what you think of when you talk about great defenses, and soon we can start throwing the Pats, Packers, and Chiefs into that mix...3-4 > 4-3.

Everything about this post is... just wrong. I'm just so horrified at the time it would take to deal with this one. You presume a great deal about what we do and don't have. We know we have subpar key personnel for the 3-4 For this personnel... that being rush LBs and a NT (with Franklin's slightly above average arse heading to FA). That much, we know. For you to say we don't have the DTs and DEs.... it's remarkable presumptuous. I'd rather go with the scheme that may be a question mark... over a scheme that is a proven failure. For this teams' personnel? 4-3 > 3-4

lol.....we have much worse personnel for the 4-3. No 4-3 DT's, and no edge rushers. You assume (from your other post) that Manny will be a stud in the 4-3. Please show me how many converted 4-3 DE's have become studs as an OLB in a 4-3, you have it the other way around, 4-3 DE's become studs in a 3-4...Aubrayo Franklin is one of the best NTs against the run, and that's basically what you want out of your NT.

What DTs/DEs do we have that will make an impact in a 4-3?? Like I stated in my previous post, Sopoaga is a not a good fit in the 4-3 (he has already proven that). JSmith is at the end of his career, he's not a DE anymore in a 4-3, and has seldom been used as a DT. And we obviously have 0 LBs that can create pressure as DEs.

Also, exactly how is the 3-4 a proven failure??? We were one of the best defenses last year, top 5 in sacks, top 5 in rushing yards, 4th in PA...ya, what a fail of a defense. This year we are not that great, but horrible, or a failure? that's a huge exaggeration. Most of it can be accredited to the lack of new schemes, and players just not wanting to play for Singletary anymore (see VD comments).

Maybe stats wise we were OK, but when we needed a stop, or the game was on the line, the defense failed. Alex Smith didn't lose the Saints game, the defense did. The Panthers game..same. Falcons? Clements does something right for once and picks off the pass, then fumbles the ball like an idiot...so the defense has another chance to stop the Falcons, and of course, they don't. That's 3 games right there. That would've taken us from 6-10 to 9-7. I think the defense is overrated, especially since they choke at the end when it counts.

Well if Alex and this offense would've been putting up 21+ points, like they have the potential to do, maybe the defense wouldn't have to try and win every game.
You 4-3 guys kill me. Our problems were with the defensive backs, not the front seven. So changing a front seven alignment isn't going to help with our crappy defensive backs. Its pretty clear that we don't have an elite pass rusher, but how is switching to a 4-3 going to fix it. All it will do is start a new series of threads about how we need a a good 4-3 DE.
Originally posted by jta854:
You 4-3 guys kill me. Our problems were with the defensive backs, not the front seven. So changing a front seven alignment isn't going to help with our crappy defensive backs. Its pretty clear that we don't have an elite pass rusher, but how is switching to a 4-3 going to fix it. All it will do is start a new series of threads about how we need a a good 4-3 DE.

Great point. 4-3, 3-4, either way the DBs still suck. I think the team is built better for a 3-4, but that may change when Franklin leaves. RJF will be the defacto starting NT and I'm not sure if he can keep Willis clean. Willis struggles when someone puts a hat on him and this MAY force the Niners to use 4 down linemen more often.
Share 49ersWebzone