There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Remainder of the 2010 Season is Pointless

I have to eat major crow for my 2009 preseason prediction that this year, the 2010 season, would be the year the Niners returned to the playoff. It is not going to happen. At 2-6, the Niners look to split the final 8 games, and go 6-10 for the season. Some team in the division is going to hit 8-8 or better, even though it looks unlikely at times. Someone will emerge, as they always do, to hit .500. So, to pretend this team has any realistic chance of making the playoffs is silly.

So, where does that leave us? Answer: Back at ground zero again. The team will dump Singletary, and bring in a new head coach. The new head coach will undoubtably bring in a new offensive coordinator, and new offensive system. It will probably also be the end of Manusky as the DC, and possibly the end of the 3-4 defense.

On player personnel matters, the new head coach (probably a seasoned vet) will more than likely demand some ability to have a strong hand in choosing those who will be signed, re-signed, or dumped. So, players currently on the roster will be in a state of uncertainty heading into 2011.

At QB, it appears that not much can be learned from the rest of the season. It is doubtful the Niners will maintain either Smith at the end of the year. Both have exhausted contracts, to my knowledge, and a head coach will surely like to bring in his own QB to run his system. The others would be simply buying time. At RB, the team may keep a 2-back system, or go to a multiple WR set, which eliminates players like Norris having a large role. The 2-TE sets could also be limited in the future. The offensive philosophy under Singletary is to play "smashmouth" football, so is there anything to learn the rest of 2011 if our OC plays a more wide-open style? Do we keep the same personnel, or do we make changes at C, LT, RG?

On defense, the Niners use a 3-4 defense, and Franklin is on a one year contract. If the new coach employs a 4-3, what players would remain from this roster on the DL, and how would this impact the LB core? Finally, the Niners are probably done with Clements, but that will remain in the hands of the HC and DC, who may see him perform better in a cover-2 scheme, or another defensive system.

So, with all the upcoming changes that we will begin to see in 9 weeks, is there much to look forward to until the Niners reset the button. My answer is, no. Fast forward me to early January 2011. Until then, the only thing that really counts is where we will draft.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Nov 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM ]
Any HC predictions?
So you don't think they will bring in a GM along with a new coach? Or just leave that all up to Baalke?
no
I think the Niners throw a lot of money in the direction of Gruden, and keep Baalke in his current role.

Gruden is a big fan of Alex Smith (he tried to trade up from the fifth pick to the first overall to get him in 2005), but I still think the Niners go QB with their first round selection.
I think if we brought in someone like Gruden offensively things wouldn't drastically change. The guy loves QB's so I think we would finally go after a real QB. Defensively aside form Goldson and Clements I think you have the personnel for the 4-3 and the 3-4 already in place. You either hire a DC that will be more aggressive with the 3-4 then we are. The 3-4 is suppose to confuse and create pressure from all angles which we don't do. IMO we have the people to seamlessly switch to the 4-3. Franklin is a one gap tackle anyways so you could keep him and I think Patrick will always be the centerpiece no matter what. You put Manny over the TE and go get an Elephant backer. Draft a new corner and put Clements at FS...
I find this kind of funny. You start out your post apologizing for your bad preseason prediction and then you move forward and make another prediction. Maybe you should stop while your behind.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Eh, it isn't pointless... I still like to watch my team win games.

As far as using it as any kind of evaluation for the off season? You may be right. It's tough to predict what a new head coach or GM will decide to do. If we hire a GM, they may evaluate the talent on the them and the prospects in free agency and the draft and use that to decide if they have enough talent to warrant making a decision on what coach to bring in based on that coaches knowledge of the scheme that best fits our potential players.

This is really a hard discussion to have in the middle of the season, especially considering the state (or non-state, rather) of the CBA. It could be a VERY bumpy off season, folks. I wouldn't expect business as usual.

Personally, I'm just going to spend the rest of the season enjoying my favorite team play my favorite sport. We don't know for sure what the future holds, so my advice is to enjoy what you can while we have it.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think the Niners throw a lot of money in the direction of Gruden, and keep Baalke in his current role.

Gruden is a big fan of Alex Smith (he tried to trade up from the fifth pick to the first overall to get him in 2005), but I still think the Niners go QB with their first round selection.

Never new Gruden was so high on Smith. and to get a guy like Gruden or any big named former coaches they might have to give way to who that coach might want to work with in the front office pushing Baalke out or just limiting him toe scouting and draft evaluations. Not a slight at Baalke b/c he's still unproven just seems like these coaches are set in there ways and would bring in a guy they are more comfortable with. I get the feeling that no matter who the new coach is they are gonna stick with the 3-4. Just seems to be the trend regardless of the head coaches previous scheme. I think they need to get rid of Manusky though and get somebody who wants to coach up an aggressive defense.

It's probably more accurate now to say that Gruden WAS a big fan of Alex Smith back in 2005. Probably not so much now.
People keep talking about Gruden like we are the front runners in acquiring him. I have a feeling we won't have Gruden, but we'll have some OC from some other team be our Head coach. Realistically i understand that are season is pretty much done. Alex Smith is not the answer, Troy is questionable at best.

Good news is, once we get a offensive minded HC, and a very GOOD QB in the draft (fingers crossed, for a QB like Flacco, Matty Ice, or Mark Sanchize)....We'll be much much more closer to the playoffs.
How about a new HC now, find out what is up with the players and assistants who are here now?

There may be some pleasant surprises once the Iron Curtain lifts and sets them free.

Then, the team will only draft for real need, not just on panic.
Way to throw in the towel!

BTW, it ain't over until we are mathematically eliminated...
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame

One guy who could find his way back here IF they did hire a GM type from outside this org. I think could be Jim Abrams, who was a scout for the 9ers under Eddie D. and went on to be hired by Bruce Allen in Tampa and has worked as their National Scout for the past few years.

It would also allow the 49ers to retain Baalke in his current "VP of Player Personnel" role.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
MadDog presents a worst case scenario. If the 49ers stick with a 3-4, then their defense should do no worse than this year (i.e. average). Offensively, there will have to be a change in philosophy, so there will be changes there. The 49ers,though, are probably best bringing one of the Smiths back (my vote is Alex - I am not sold on Troy at all), and also spend a high draft pick on a QB. When it comes to OC and DC, the 49ers could do a lot worse than those 2, so it wouldn't surprise me if one or both survives this year. That, of course, would be up to the new HC.

The bottom line is that we are an 8-8 team that is underperforming. Management will not accept a complete rebuild of the team, nor should they. They should instead draft someone that can do more with less.