The Remainder of the 2010 Season is Pointless

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

It's probably more accurate now to say that Gruden WAS a big fan of Alex Smith back in 2005. Probably not so much now.

You never know... he did trade for Jake Plummer.

Gruden is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. I think it's the RED hair. Hehe... get it?

Actually Bruce Allen traded for Jake Plummer not Jon Gruden

Allen was brought in as a "Yes Man" for Gruden 'cause they worked together in Oakland.

Gruden wanted Plummer... he even tried to talk him out of retirement.

But Allen had final say and could have said no to the move. They traded for Plummer BEFORE he retired nonetheless.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

But Allen had final say and could have said no to the move. They traded for Plummer BEFORE he retired nonetheless.

You're really going to argue this?

I know they traded for Plummer before he retired. Why else would I mention Gruden trying to talk him out of it as evidence that Gruden wanted him on the team?

Go do some research and come back and we'll discuss it some more if you want.
I swear every time someone posts something like this, these weeks feel much longer than they should, each Sunday feels like forever.

Anyway, OP might be right or he may not be, either way, the season is rolling down a hill, nothings gonna stop it any time soon, at least, it seems. Unless of course miracles arise and we actually make something out of this season.

Whether it actually be different styles of playcalling that help us out, or changes in our management, it would be nice to get something positive instead of what, 8 upcoming games that we further embarrass ourselves in?

We can pull this together, playoffs are seemingly out of the question, but having a winning record or at least beating our toughest opponents that we meet (Ex. Packers) should do some good for this team.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think the Niners throw a lot of money in the direction of Gruden, and keep Baalke in his current role.

Gruden is a big fan of Alex Smith (he tried to trade up from the fifth pick to the first overall to get him in 2005), but I still think the Niners go QB with their first round selection.

It's probably more accurate now to say that Gruden WAS a big fan of Alex Smith back in 2005. Probably not so much now.

This
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Way to throw in the towel!

BTW, it ain't over until we are mathematically eliminated...

Technically, with 8 games left we're 2 games out of first... Season's definitely not over.
Will you still be saying this when the seahawks drop games to the saonts atl nyg probably the niners as well as others........or the rams drop sox of their next eight.....or ariz dropping some more games???????? Wow
  • evil
  • Veteran

You're really going to argue this?

I know they traded for Plummer before he retired. Why else would I mention Gruden trying to talk him out of it as evidence that Gruden wanted him on the team?

Go do some research and come back and we'll discuss it some more if you want.

Where did I say Gruden did not want Plummer ? The point is Allen traded for Plummer not Gruden, Allen was the GM and had the final say. While it's a move the HC endorsed it's not one he HAD to grant.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Way to throw in the towel!

BTW, it ain't over until we are mathematically eliminated...

Technically, with 8 games left we're 2 games out of first... Season's definitely not over.

That's what I'm sayin!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Where did I say Gruden did not want Plummer ? The point is Allen traded for Plummer not Gruden, Allen was the GM and had the final say. While it's a move the HC endorsed it's not one he HAD to grant.

So why are we arguing? Did you have a point?

I'm being an ass and I apologize. I may have drawn you in by making it seem that I was trying to make you look foolish. I was just poking fun at Gruden and his odd QB fetish.

Forgive me? Pwease?

::puppy dog eyes::
The remaining 9 weeks can go a long way in developing our rookie class and the rest of the promising young players that will still be with us next season. Still think the rest of this season is pointless? I sure don't.

Originally posted by NJNiner:
The remaining 9 weeks can go a long way in developing our rookie class and the rest of the promising young players that will still be with us next season. Still think the rest of this season is pointless? I sure don't.

I'm with you. Even if the rest of the season really is little more than OTAs, a lot can be accomplished on the player development front.
MD, can you answer these few questions for me?

1) can you name 1 successful NFL coach who left coaching completely, came back sometime later, and found success with a new team? You may say Parcells, but I would argue that he's the exception. Holmgren, Seifert, Mooch and Billichik switched teams, but never left coaching.

2) Why would a team desperate for a franchise QB, get a HC who has NEVER discovered a single successful young QB. He's had success with vets, but his QB drafting has been a joke. Wanted to trade up for Smith but passed on Rodgers? Is that the type of guy this team wants?

3) if Gruden is such a hot commodity why did he get fired, and why did no team jump on him last season?

4) how would you rate the Bucs' drafting with Gruden? I give them a C-

5) is my grade of a C- too generous?
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I find this kind of funny. You start out your post apologizing for your bad preseason prediction and then you move forward and make another prediction. Maybe you should stop while your behind.

Good point
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Quote:
1) can you name 1 successful NFL coach who left coaching completely, came back sometime later, and found success with a new team? You may say Parcells, but I would argue that he's the exception. Holmgren, Seifert, Mooch and Billichik switched teams, but never left coaching.

Dick Viermel, from Eagles to championship with the Rams.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think the Niners throw a lot of money in the direction of Gruden, and keep Baalke in his current role.

Gruden is a big fan of Alex Smith (he tried to trade up from the fifth pick to the first overall to get him in 2005), but I still think the Niners go QB with their first round selection.

Yeah, no way Gruden hitches his wagon to Alex. He'll draft his own Qb to run his offense.

After the Cowboys kick Phillips to the curb, the 9ers will be looking at leftovers as far as big name coaches are concerned.
Share 49ersWebzone