There are 303 users in the forums

If T. Smith lights the world on fire

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
I think if Troy Smith wins a bunch of games that would be enough for me to keep coach. Its seems like we have been looking for a qb forever. If by some miracle Troy Smith takes us to the playoffs then thats enough for me.

Singletary is already in a lame duck session to me. At this point, if we win, I'll feel it's in spite of Sing.

Literally Superbowl or bust for Singletary.

I agree, Unless somehow the 49ers pull of some magic out of their ass for the remainder of the season. Not only will the 49ers need to get to the playoffs but they will need to win the Superbowl or Singletary is done.

Let's see. If this team makes the play-offs it will do so for the first time in 8 years? So, let's do what was done eight years ago and fire the coach so that this team will go another 8 yrs without a play-off appearance. Brilliant move!

Any real HC can come in here and take this team and do a lot more with it than what our joke of a HC has done this year. So yes, it is a brilliant move. We should not be 2-6 right now.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by brucesf49:
I think if Troy Smith wins a bunch of games that would be enough for me to keep coach. Its seems like we have been looking for a qb forever. If by some miracle Troy Smith takes us to the playoffs then thats enough for me.

Not for me. That would mean that Sing had a winner sitting on the bench and did not allow that winner to compete for a starting position. Isn't the coach supposed to know the talent he has on his roster and encourage competition so that the best guy can play? Sing has more or less dug a hole that he won't be able to get out of.

seriously man. no way troy smith could have competed for the starting job that fast. he barely signed just before the season started. he would have had to sit and learn the playbook anyways. which means....coach knew Carr wasn't the answer and he was correct. and coach knew T Smith would have to learn the playbook. and you got to be honest, Nate Davis just isn't ready. Sounds to me like coach knew what he was doing as far as the qb's we got. now should we have signed a different qb in the offseason. yes. but look how mcnabb is turning out in wash. not so great huh. maybe it would have turned out different in sf..who knows. only other option is keep shaun hill. been there, done that.
what else? draft a qb? bradford gone by our picks and no other rookie looks as good as him so really all options lead to bust season unless troy smith becomes a star in front of our eyes.

speaking of T Smith. seen this vid on 49ers.com. He does show us a lot of qualities Alex does not.

null

Its not an issue of when Troy could or could not compete though. It's all about Troy not being allowed to compete that bothers me; especially when the coach emphasizes competition. It's not just with the QB either; that's just the latest of many positions I've seen this with. Look at TKO @ ILB or 2 rookies + Chilo on our O-Line or even Dixon over Gore when we're trying to run out the clock for a win. Sure a players got to get game time to improve; but, when it comes to critical moments in the game we need the most talented not the more up-side guy in there. That's why I feel the way I do.

BTW Nice vid...

the thing is there is no competition to be had until Troy understands the plays, and enough of them to consider a starting a competition. that becomes difficult when you sign the guy right when the season starts. you have already committed to a qb for the seaosn and at that point it makes no sense to rob Alex of reps to commit to a guy who just signed...another young guy also. this also slams any confidence you have already vested in Alex.

really my point is that it is easy to sit here now, 8 weeks later and as a fan, and rip the club for not giving a newly aquired Troy Smith more playing time. No Club would do that unless the guy signed was a pro bowl type player

Nobody's ripping him for not giving Troy playtime. Were ripping him for not giving Troy Practice competition time. Troy didn't get better than Alex at the exact same time Alex got hurt. He somehow developed and learned the playbook; at least enough to play in and help win one game. Yet, Sing still had him as the 3rd string guy; hell, even our OC didn't know much about what Troy could do.

It's kinda embarrassing to have a 3rd stringer come in and out play not only your backup; but, also outplay your starter. If this doesn't scream we have a coaching problem to you, I don't know what else to say...

The same thing can be said about N. Davis. And although I am 100% in agreement with you that they should have spread the reps around, Sing did not have a Peyton starting. He had a somewhat fragile QB who he was trying to instill confidence in. Given this scenario, I can now understand why Alex got the vast majority of the reps. Do I agree? Nope. But I understand
Originally posted by ttime1:

Not for me. That would mean that Sing had a winner sitting on the bench and did not allow that winner to compete for a starting position. Isn't the coach supposed to know the talent he has on his roster and encourage competition so that the best guy can play? Sing has more or less dug a hole that he won't be able to get out of.

seriously man. no way troy smith could have competed for the starting job that fast. he barely signed just before the season started. he would have had to sit and learn the playbook anyways. which means....coach knew Carr wasn't the answer and he was correct. and coach knew T Smith would have to learn the playbook. and you got to be honest, Nate Davis just isn't ready. Sounds to me like coach knew what he was doing as far as the qb's we got. now should we have signed a different qb in the offseason. yes. but look how mcnabb is turning out in wash. not so great huh. maybe it would have turned out different in sf..who knows. only other option is keep shaun hill. been there, done that.
what else? draft a qb? bradford gone by our picks and no other rookie looks as good as him so really all options lead to bust season unless troy smith becomes a star in front of our eyes.

speaking of T Smith. seen this vid on 49ers.com. He does show us a lot of qualities Alex does not.

null

Its not an issue of when Troy could or could not compete though. It's all about Troy not being allowed to compete that bothers me; especially when the coach emphasizes competition. It's not just with the QB either; that's just the latest of many positions I've seen this with. Look at TKO @ ILB or 2 rookies + Chilo on our O-Line or even Dixon over Gore when we're trying to run out the clock for a win. Sure a players got to get game time to improve; but, when it comes to critical moments in the game we need the most talented not the more up-side guy in there. That's why I feel the way I do.

BTW Nice vid...

the thing is there is no competition to be had until Troy understands the plays, and enough of them to consider a starting a competition. that becomes difficult when you sign the guy right when the season starts. you have already committed to a qb for the seaosn and at that point it makes no sense to rob Alex of reps to commit to a guy who just signed...another young guy also. this also slams any confidence you have already vested in Alex.

really my point is that it is easy to sit here now, 8 weeks later and as a fan, and rip the club for not giving a newly aquired Troy Smith more playing time. No Club would do that unless the guy signed was a pro bowl type player

Nobody's ripping him for not giving Troy playtime. Were ripping him for not giving Troy Practice competition time. Troy didn't get better than Alex at the exact same time Alex got hurt. He somehow developed and learned the playbook; at least enough to play in and help win one game. Yet, Sing still had him as the 3rd string guy; hell, even our OC didn't know much about what Troy could do.

It's kinda embarrassing to have a 3rd stringer come in and out play not only your backup; but, also outplay your starter. If this doesn't scream we have a coaching problem to you, I don't know what else to say...

The same thing can be said about N. Davis. And although I am 100% in agreement with you that they should have spread the reps around, Sing did not have a Peyton starting. He had a somewhat fragile QB who he was trying to instill confidence in. Given this scenario, I can now understand why Alex got the vast majority of the reps. Do I agree? Nope. But I understand

Yes! this is what I'm talking about. We all know that Carr is now #3 and Alex will most likely be the backup. Now I'm not a huge Nate fan; but, it makes more sense to dump Carr and bring Nate up to the 3rd string spot and give him some more practice time because the #3 should be a development spot IMO...

You do bring up a good point about Alex needing the confidence; but, this is Football. If any player is so fragile that you have to walk on eggshells around them or protect him from a little competition, then I don't want that player on my team... I mean, be a Man and take your lumps; but, go out there and honestly compete.

Competition is required to improve the overall performance of any given position; otherwise that position will stay stagnant like we've been... Then again, I know I'm preaching to the quire on this one...
Originally posted by ihab:
Sing is not going to be fired.

There will be a lockout next season, so nobody is going to get fired. They won’t spend money to go out and hire a big name person to coach scrubs/scabs.

We gave Nolan 4/5 years and he didn’t produce sh!t, and you can’t give sing 2 ? I’m not saying that he has not made mistakes, but we need some continuity.

dude. nolan had 3 1/2 years not 4 or 5. but i can see the yorks giving him more time. seems like a york move.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

There will be a lockout next season, so nobody is going to get fired. They won’t spend money to go out and hire a big name person to coach scrubs/scabs.

We gave Nolan 4/5 years and he didn’t produce sh!t, and you can’t give sing 2 ? I’m not saying that he has not made mistakes, but we need some continuity.

dude. nolan had 3 1/2 years not 4 or 5. but i can see the yorks giving him more time. seems like a york move.

The lockout thing does concern me about Sing getting fired or not. They may wait until after the new CBA.
Originally posted by susweel:

The lockout thing does concern me about Sing getting fired or not. They may wait until after the new CBA.

Yeah, that's why Dallas is even hesitant of firing Phillips right now. By the time s**t is even close to 'locking-up' there will only be about 2-3 weeks of training camp (without off-season OTAs), and 5 days of free agency. Horrible time to gel a new coach into the scheme of things.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Nov 3, 2010 at 5:13 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran

Sing was supposed to have this team in the playoffs LAST year. and he's gonna miss it this year and it was never even close.

Sing needs to go.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Yeah, that's why Dallas is even hesitant of firing Phillips right now. By the time s**t is even close to 'locking-up' there will only be about 2-3 weeks of training camp (without off-season OTAs), and 5 days of free agency. Horrible time to gel a new coach into the scheme of things.

IMHO I dont think there will be a lockout. They will come to some kind of agreement. There is just too much money on the line.
  • ihab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

IMHO I dont think there will be a lockout. They will come to some kind of agreement. There is just too much money on the line.

Not true, the NFL and the owners still get paid no matter who they put on the field. The contract with the TV stations is already set, so it is the players union who will have to concede.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

Singletary is already in a lame duck session to me. At this point, if we win, I'll feel it's in spite of Sing.

Regardless who is at QB, if Sing takes this team to the SB, I will take me and my 11 posts home and never post again.

But something tells me I will still be here next season...Sorry, I screwed up the quoting.
[ Edited by cypherninja on Nov 3, 2010 at 5:32 PM ]

Originally posted by Antix:

Sing was supposed to have this team in the playoffs LAST year. and he's gonna miss it this year and it was never even close.

Sing needs to go.

This
If Sing takes the team to the playoffs with at least a 9-7 record, the man is not going to get fired. Some of you seem to be unaware or blissfully ignorant of the fact that coaching stability matters when you're looking for prolonged success in an organization. Firing a head coach that took you to the playoffs for the first time in 8 seasons hoping that you can find even greener pastures is a risk no owner or organization is stupid enough to take.
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
If Sing takes the team to the playoffs with at least a 9-7 record, the man is not going to get fired. Some of you seem to be unaware or blissfully ignorant of the fact that coaching stability matters when you're looking for prolonged success in an organization. Firing a head coach that took you to the playoffs for the first time in 8 seasons hoping that you can find even greener pastures is a risk no owner or organization is stupid enough to take.

And you think that is going to actually happen??? Not a shot in hell that happens.
I guess I have a line drawn in my head. If we go to the playoffs keep coach. If we dont then kick him to the curb. Playoffs in my mind is a big step forward. I Don't think the yorks should or would fire him if that happens.
I think you also need a QB that is close personally to the rest of the offense--maybe the whole team---at such a key position--you don't want someone who is aloof or close to just a couple guys.
Share 49ersWebzone