Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
10 GOOD (not in order):
1) Play calling was good given the restrictions we were dealing with (3rd string qb who has only been on the team for 8 weeks), and more creative than folks are giving credit for here.
2) Sing's gutsy decision to start Smith, despite him not knowing the whole offense and only being on the team for 8 weeks.
3) Gore looked excellent, cut well, read the holes amazingly well.
4) No sacks, although this is largely b/c of Smith's movement in the pocket.
5) First great game of the season by Willis
6) Lawson looked excellent
7) The players stayed very poised in a difficult situation (playing in London, dealing with some horrid officiating).
8) Looks like Sing made the right decision to spend a week in London
9) Nice recovery game for Anthony Davis after his horrid performance last week. No penalties, no offsides.
10) Ginn looks fully recovered, and at this point we can conclude that returns won't be a problem.
11) Justin Smith continues to prove to be an EXCELLENT FA signing.
10 BAD (not in order):
1) Another bad game by the secondary, and we've run out of people to plug in.
2) The biggest problem we have is that we're just horribly undisciplined, and the lack of discipline on defense (screens, play actions, trick plays) is a HUGE concern.
3) Troy Smith was as lucky as good, and at least in this week had significant accuracy problems.
4) We're learning that Gore doesn't get spelled because we don't have much behind him. Westbrook doesn't have much left, and Dixon still dances too much.
5) The line wasn't that great in pass protection, a fact masked by Smith's movement.
6) Haralson was MIA yet again.
7) Everyone on the team dealt well with the horrible officiating...except for our head coach, who spent the game ranting out of control on the sideline again. It's embarrassing at this point, it's hurting our reputation, and I'd guess also our ability to get calls. It either has to stop or Sing has to go.
8) We make mistakes on defense on the same plays over and over again, and Manusky still isn't adjusting. This is a problem.
9) Once again, Staley looks to be a mediocre LT, not a good one, and far from a great one.
Actually not comparing him as an equal to, but this is what you expect of your HC. You want him calling out the Refs. If you do not believe me you need to thread the old projector up and watch some old Dynasty tape. Coach Walsh while he was a gentleman didn't hesitate to chew some Zebra tail when they made stupid calls.
The difference between then and now? The officiating is markedly worse today then it was back then. If Coach were still alive he'd look like a raving lunatic with these nuts the League considers Professionals.
Hell I thought Gerry Austin was a crappy official. Since he and Ed Hokulee (sp?) left, Officiating has taken a dump on the Football field and the flies and maggots are getting thick.
I agree that Mike needs to tone it down a bit, but I don't blame him for taking them on cause that's the job of the HC. He's SUPPOSED to do that so the Players don't feel the need to argue with the Refs and get kicked out of the game or penalized for some other stupidity. At least Sing hasn't cost us any yards with his anger. When he does, then I'll have a problem with it. Until then he has my blessing in this regard.